PDA

View Full Version : For those with superchargers...Need technical advice

OrangeCrush
04-30-2007, 03:22 AM
Well, finally installed the supercharger last weekend. I spent this last week buttoning everything up. I got to drive it home Friday and because I don't have an air/fuel ratio gauge, I didn't want to beat on it.

The tuning came from Allen Nelson so I'm pretty confident it's setup correctly. i'm going to make an appt this week to put it on a dyno just to make sure everything is okay.

During this weekend, I did punch it a couple of times out of the hole and within the first 2-3K rpms, the truck stuttered like the rev limiter was kicking in. I thought at first the belt was slipping but it's tight.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Mark

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
04-30-2007, 08:45 AM
Hey Orange,

I know this seems like some obvious questions:

What psi injectors did you use?

Did you do a fuel pump upgrade or use a Keene Bell boost a pump?

Fuel filters changed?

Air filter clean?

Double check with Allen on your situation as it sounds like timing may be off or something in setup is out of sinc.

Did You pop a check engine light?
Once when I was messing around I put my 10lb. pulley on with the fresh load of the kit tune and it ran great the first WOT run then popped a check engine light and went to a more stock type running situation but, more powerful still. I pulled the kit tune replacing with stock and before running I put the kit tune back in fresh the second time. The rig launched great again until I let off and just like the first time reduced power and check engine light. The timing was retarded for sure of which was expected since I was experimenting. I was just surprised the rig launched like a rocket after removing the kit tune and putting it back in fresh.

Not much help I know but I would contact Allen soon.

TAZ

OrangeCrush
04-30-2007, 11:45 AM
Hey Orange,

I know this seems like some obvious questions:

What psi injectors did you use?

I bought the supercharger used and the fuel injectors were already installed. I may need to double check it but I can't imagine someone selling the whole setup and then putting in the stock injectors... good thing to check though.

Did you do a fuel pump upgrade or use a Keene Bell boost a pump?

Upgraded in-line fuel pump.

Fuel filters changed?

Yup

Air filter clean?

Yup

Did You pop a check engine light?

No, no lights. I cleared the couple of codes I had when I first got it fired up and the only one I couldn't (needed a tech II) was the crank shaft position learning code. Got that done by a friend that works at a dealership.

Not much help

Gave me some insightful things to check. Was much help.

I know but I would contact Allen soon.

Definitely today.

TAZ

Thanks bud, much appreciated.

H2 Bill
04-30-2007, 08:43 PM
Hopefully Nelson eliminated the torque management when he did the tune.

OrangeCrush
05-02-2007, 04:45 AM
Just a quick update.

I haven't been able to get in contact with Nelson yet but Tim did notice something that seemed to make a difference.

The supercharger was used and came off a Silverado. Apparently the Silverado 6.0 has a hose that connects both fuel rails in the front that the H2 doesn't use.

Point is, Tim and I removed it and the truck seems to run fine. No stuttering, no nothing.

I'm still going to put it on the dyno just to make sure the air/fuel numbers are correct.

The other thing is, I'm not sure how much "learning" the computer needs to do since it is a "new" computer.

I was bad tonight though. Some punk kid was in front of me at a major intersection tonight on the way home.

When the light turned green, he nailed it. He took off and I thought how funny would it be if I could catch him. (by this point, he had about 7-8 car headstart)

Not only did I nearly mow him down, I slungshot around him so fast, I'm sure he felt a vacuum when I passed him.

Damn truck runs good.... I'm impressed.

Of course, my mileage still sucks but hey... it runs good.

Mark

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
05-02-2007, 07:57 AM
Hey Orange,

We are going to get mostly the same milage with or without the supercharger
We may as well have some fun with the power and speed increase along with better towing capabilities.

Good Luck and have fun!!!!

Oh, the extra hose sounds like it was letting fuel bypass easily and allowing You to hold to low of fuel pressure. I run a fuel pressure and boost gauge all the time. I have the a/f that i can turn off and on when i need it. Plus once the new screen and computer is finished installing by Dragon I'm supposed to be able to keep my a/f scan up on screen after music or cd is playing so I can watch a/f in wideband while scanning what the rig is doing all the time to fine tune tuning all the time. The a/f I turn off is run off the factory oxygen sensors that are fairly reliable but, just not for tuning.

If fuel injectors are say 48psi then You can run gauge and it is just something else to help You diagnose if need be. With Keene Bell boost a pump I left off the extra fuel pump and I can fine tune my a/f by turning the knob up and down with a range on these injectors of about 45 to 54psi.

Orange Enjoy Your were patient a long time waiting to get the SC on. I hope You really have fun but, be safe. Hey it is cool not be that turtle on the road anymore isn't that right? Just imagine what it is like at 10lbs. of boost and I'm just dreaming of what it will be like at 15, 16, or 18 pounds of boost.

I really can't wait to begin slowly working my way up. With the computer though I can tune the rig down making it better on the street by just picking the tune of the pulley i change to stored and unload the one in H2 computer and flash it with the next one. I'm excited about seeing how flexible I can make the tunes with different tuning using water.met injection etc.

Anyone who happens to go to using the HPTUNERS software I will be, once tested and tried, upload them to HPTUNERS site in an area where tuners can place tunes for others to download and use. When I get one up I will let all know so anyone can go and get it.

TAZ

OrangeCrush
05-02-2007, 11:47 AM
Taz,

Thanks bud. I completely agree. I've only punched it a couple of times and even at that, I was listening for hesitations, stuttering, pinging, etc, etc...
I'm pretty use to having superchargers since they're on almost every vehicle I own....

I hadn't hooked up the gauges yet because I couldn't find an adapter to screw the fuel plug into the aluminum block coming off the fuel rail.
STUPID ME, another 6 inches up the rail was a plug with the same threads....duh.

I'll have the gauges installed this week though and go get the a/f ratio checked out. Since this isn't really a performance tune of any kind, I'm confident that Nelson has the numbers correct.

I REALLY like your ability to adjust on the fly and also the fact you can display it on your screen. I may have to play with that.

As far as more boost, I guess I'm like ever other motorhead male, it's never enough and when I get used to it, I'll be looking for more...

Thanks again for your help and advice... as usual, you're more than helpful.

Mark

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
05-02-2007, 09:30 PM
Orange

Your welcome Buddy.

I just have this thing about going fast. Just have never been able to out grow that feeling.

Someday maybe, I doubt it. I get out with golf buddies and we race our own carts even. Always looking to rewind an electric motor or regovern a gas motor then change the gearing. We are just idiots i think. LOL I tell them they are anyway so they ask me what is my excuse then? Go figure they got me also.

By the time You get ready to mess with using software as I'm working on i will have all the bugs worked out and will be glad to help You. It can be done just using a laptop but, with the rig being a show Queen for now anyway i'm using an installed PC and a perminent mounted 12" touchscreen in dash to make it cool. But, it is very useful as I can actual check the gauges with the gauges i can place on the PC screen and see if they are acurate with computer. Just some neat stuff to play with but, useful also.

I can also tune any H2 that is same year model as mine and I infact have an extra software setup for a 2003 H2 I think. I'm not sure it has the wideband on it though but, it would run on a laptop and allow You to check as well as tune allot of things. Well anyway just happen to think of that so I would be able to tune 2003 H2's to a great degree and set electric fan on and off as well as tranny plus all those other little things.

Well sorry for straying off it just jogged my memory. Been fighting seizure battles allot that have appeared from the 3 years i spent fighting GI Bleed so Neuro thinks brain may have damage from oxygen shortage all the time. doing an MRI soon to look for scaring on the brain to see if it may be operable. I hate to go through another surgery since they removed most of my guts to stop the GI bleed. Yet the seizure meds are so harsh i told doc I would be happy for brain work if it would stop all the seizure meds. Tell anyone You that if Keppra is offered to them for this problem to turn it down and run. It is an evil med in my book.

Well wish i could have been over with you to try a ride in Your remade H2 with all the power now. I know my first launch with the huge torque steer i experienced was a real thrill. I was partial prepared though having seen the torque steer KenP had with his LPE setup rig but, it is still not geting the feel of it happening.

I wish You well and I would put my money on any tune Allen sent to me. Dragon and I have used Allen for some applications and if he used HPTUNERS software I would get him to build me a tune he liked and i would run it using my program. He just has that natural skill to know just how far to go. He says I will get more than he would but, only because I'm doing my rig in real time scanning it and flashing it then scan some more so i can step up my tune once i watch it and see how the engine and tranny react.

Well let me know if I can be of help. You know I'm glad to do it if i can.

TAZ

OrangeCrush
05-04-2007, 03:43 AM
Taz,

Thanks for the response and opinion. I'm sorry to hear about your medical problem, I hope it can be cured and things come out well.

Hopefully we'll get to meet sometime and perhaps I'll have my shiet together....

Thanks,

Mark

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
05-07-2007, 08:28 AM
Hey Orange,
If you do decide at some point to go to a larger dash display using a computer do not go over 10" touchscreen. The 12" we are using is great quality and I would use the same brand for a 10". It is just the size of 12" is way to much trouble to rework the center dash area for. There have been a whole list of things to overcome although it would not be as bad to do it for someone else with us now working out most tricks for the mod.

Well anyway You would love the 10" and a small permanent pc in the truck to hold all the mp3's, cd's, dvd's and what ever else you would want to store. Even a list of parts to pickup for your shops say while driving You can add to list on computer with voice recognition software to dictate to. It can have dalt planner downloaded from a handheld pc. Just so many things that onboard computer can be used for. New software coming out all the time.

We have a super computer geek that is a friend and he is always looking up and finding freeware that will do the same as the high dollar software does. In fact some of it seems to be better and easier to use. Well anyway just more stuff that as time goes by will have more stuffed worked out for you to look at and any of Our forum Bud's may like to find out about. I'm all abot helping each other with better and cheaper ways of dealing with problems on Our H2's.

TAZ

freytes2004
06-11-2007, 06:45 PM
I went with the whipple and could not be more disappointed I have over 5000.00 invested and this thing sucks it stalls and throws codes constantly and all whipple can tell me is huh we ain't had those problems before. I went with whipple for the mans reputation and I don't think it's worth what I paid. H2 Bill did you have any problems with your whipple and how does perform?

H2 Bill
06-12-2007, 06:29 PM
No, I have Whipples on 2 of my vehicles, the H2 and my 454 Suburban. No stalling, no codes. Their tuning program sucks. Go with Nelson or better yet, find someone with a 4wd dyno and have it tuned on that.

rocketw19
06-15-2007, 07:46 AM
Just a quick update.

I haven't been able to get in contact with Nelson yet but Tim did notice something that seemed to make a difference.

The supercharger was used and came off a Silverado. Apparently the Silverado 6.0 has a hose that connects both fuel rails in the front that the H2 doesn't use.

Point is, Tim and I removed it and the truck seems to run fine. No stuttering, no nothing.

I'm still going to put it on the dyno just to make sure the air/fuel numbers are correct.

The other thing is, I'm not sure how much "learning" the computer needs to do since it is a "new" computer.

I was bad tonight though. Some punk kid was in front of me at a major intersection tonight on the way home.

When the light turned green, he nailed it. He took off and I thought how funny would it be if I could catch him. (by this point, he had about 7-8 car headstart)

Not only did I nearly mow him down, I slungshot around him so fast, I'm sure he felt a vacuum when I passed him.

Damn truck runs good.... I'm impressed.

Of course, my mileage still sucks but hey... it runs good.

Mark
glad you got that fixed bro! what kind of tune did you get from nelson? did you get a pully also? i have been thinking of a tune also but not sure its worth it.

OrangeCrush
06-22-2007, 01:50 AM
I went with Nelson's tune. I asked about a smaller pulley but they said it wasn't worth it.

Yesterday I raced another H2 and totally pulled on him. I have to tell you, it's not a race car but the supercharger pulls HARD out of the hole.

Tim (TTK on the forum) has the same tune from Nelson and I think he dynoed out at 504 (I think) point is, 500+ at the wheels on a 4 wheel dyno.

Works for me... just gas mileage sucks... it's hard to keep your foot out of it.

:clapping:

Tallowood_Air
06-27-2007, 02:40 AM
I went with Nelson's tune. I asked about a smaller pulley but they said it wasn't worth it.

Yesterday I raced another H2 and totally pulled on him. I have to tell you, it's not a race car but the supercharger pulls HARD out of the hole.

Tim (TTK on the forum) has the same tune from Nelson and I think he dynoed out at 504 (I think) point is, 500+ at the wheels on a 4 wheel dyno.

Works for me... just gas mileage sucks... it's hard to keep your foot out of it.

:clapping:

500+ RWHP?

c'mon.

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
06-27-2007, 12:54 PM
Before I added SC but, with a tune. I had Dynatech catback header system, throttle body spacer, electric fans and all the other stuff I had on it when i did add SC and I ran 400/407 at the wheels using a G-Tech Pro unit. Book said to make 3 to 5 runs and average. I ran 10 passes 5 from each direction and still stunned me. I called support over and over asking them how reliable is this and got different person each call and they said sir please trust the unit. Our units are what NASCAR and NHRA are now going to while running G force tests and preliminary HP and torque check tests etc. They are getting rid of the $10,000 electronic units they had been using for the same purpose.

I was stunned because i new i was chirping wheels before SC. I was running down little foreign rigs with 20lbs. of boost all the carbon fiber the dudes could hang on the ride making them so light it would be easy to blow them over on there backs with a strong wind while parked.

The torque steering was rough before SC and became unreal after SC. With SC on I beat my cousins new 2005 vette late summer after adding SC in a 0 to 60 run. If it had been to 75 or 100MPH he may have run me down. I jumped him so far out of the hole at launch I thought his engine must have died or something. He did not have the upgraded engine package but, whatever a vette runs well period.

People can believe whatever but, these H2's and some better than others, just as in the muscle car days when some built on a certain day it all came together right, the H2 can do more than imagined if pushed and done right. All the wheels pulling get's you moving allot sooner than the others smoking their tires or pedaling the throttle to get their rig to hook up.
It has surprised me for sure looking at these beast. I made a believer out of myself and still have allot of pushing yet to do when i get better.

TAZ

freytes2004
06-27-2007, 07:18 PM
Thanks H2BILL
A dyno would be great but I can't seem to find one that is 4wheel capable Diablo Sport told me they took the front driveshaft off on their H2 :confused: because they don't have a four wheel dyno to develop a tuner is that something I should do since my choices of dynos are limited?

H2 Bill
06-27-2007, 07:37 PM
That would be great. Have them disconnect the front wheel drive and go for the dyno tune.

OrangeCrush
06-27-2007, 11:03 PM
500+ RWHP?

c'mon.

Don't shoot the messenger, I'm just telling you what they said it dynoed at.

I haven't dynoed mine so I couldn't tell ya what it would do. 500 does seem kinda steep but I wasn't there.

That would be great. Have them disconnect the front wheel drive and go for the dyno tune.

Isn't there a trick to removing the front driveshaft. I remember when I was having a vibration problem, I removed the frt shaft so I could eliminate one possible source.

Once I removed it, the truck wouldn't go into gear.

If I remember correctly, you have to bypass some plug or something... I can't quite remember... perhaps someone can clue me in.

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
06-28-2007, 08:34 AM
If you just unhook driveshaft the rig will not run so you can do a RWD dyno check. It is because of the way the transfer case is designed to put load at 40% front and 60% rear axle.

There usually is a work around everything but, i did not try anymore because the only dyno near me is one axle only and even with stock tires and rims the H2 was to wide for the dynojet.

TAZ