PDA

View Full Version : OEM fuel Door

twenty2
05-01-2007, 01:03 AM
Just got the regular OEM fuel door that says Hummer on it. I took off the old black pocket by thaking off the 3 screws and turning counterclockwise. Question is..... how the hell do you put the new one on? With the added little bump on the pocket for the door, the pockets doesn't match to place right back on the truck to turn it clockwise to lock????

Anyone do this change yet and how you did it.

jmsspratlin
05-01-2007, 02:41 AM
Also would like to know:popcorn:

fisherman
05-01-2007, 09:22 PM
Okay, I'm doing this from memory. Remove the insert cover by loosening and removing the three screws. Lay the new cover face down on something soft not to scratch. Place the outer ring about 30 degrees counterclock wise and so both keyways are just touching the slotted race. Turn clockwise until snug.Tighten one of the set screws. Make sure the other is in so you don't scratch the paint around the fuel door inlet. Put it on the gas hose connector. You have some play. I have the slotted cap so alignment was critical. Turn the entire unit until the holes (3) match. Just start one. Do not try to move the outside ring because it will scratch your paint job. Remember, if your cap has two set screws, tighten the second one. I did it four times before I got it right..... so have patience. The "fisherman"

twenty2
05-01-2007, 09:54 PM
thanks for your help! I tried something different and it worked. Whew. What a pain in the azzzz.:D

MDimitri
05-02-2007, 09:32 PM
Dont feel so bad, I bought a Fuel door online after going through 2 of the cheaper units, one got pooched due to oxidization and the other just refused to open so I had to drill out the lock. I finally spent some good money on a better unit just to find that the darn thing didn't fit on the bucket!! I then ground down the bucket a bit to make it fit, but the stupid screws would not snag the edges properly...I gorilla glued the damn thing together and to date have had zero problems. The new fuel door buckets coming from GM are larger than the old ones and some of the after market fuel doors will not fit, beware of this when buying them online.

zmanH2
05-02-2007, 11:45 PM
Yup. 03-05 have a smaller diameter fuel door. However, you can still use these older fuel doors if you buy the 03-05 black gas bezel/cup for your 06-07 model year.

jmsspratlin
05-03-2007, 04:15 AM
just bought one from the dealer and they installed it. I paid $195 but hell, it was worth it. I think it looks great!