PDA

View Full Version : H1 Engine Replacement w/GM

GFR
05-02-2007, 05:35 PM
Have a 1998 H1 6.5 turbo diesel fire truck with a cracked block at only 12,189 miles. Has anyone installed a GM 6.5 turbo diesel instead of the AmGeneral engine and if so, what problems did you encounter. The local Hummer dealers says there are lots of issues and the additional labor is more than the added cost of the AmGeneral engine. People selling GM engines say they just drop in. Any help or experience is appreciated. Thanks, Bill at Genesee Fire, Colorado

HUMTECH
05-02-2007, 06:32 PM
There is no difference in these engines anymore. AM general owns the 6.5l diesel plant, they bought it from gm. Just make sure if you order the gm engine you order one for A g-van application(center rear mounted turbo). should be no additional labour as they are the same engine, i,ve swapped in several over the last few years.

GFR
05-02-2007, 07:02 PM
Thanks, that sound encouraging. FYI, the Hummer Dealer is telling us there are a lot of "plumbing" issues, specifically oil lines. Have you encountered any of this?

usetosellhummer
05-02-2007, 07:06 PM
lots of plumbing

HUMTECH
05-02-2007, 07:17 PM
Lots of lines to deal with for sure, but the engine itself from am general or gm does not come with any of these. Still the same job to put either engine in. They all get disconnected and stay with the truck, pull the engine and transfer your intake, pump, exh man etc.... put the new engine in and hook up all your lines and electrical.

GFR
05-02-2007, 07:24 PM
Thanks for your help. We are trying to get our H1 back in service for the wildland fire season. Tried to post a picture but does not want to work. Thanks again and be safe.

usetosellhummer
05-02-2007, 07:40 PM
yea Tech did you hear AM General figured out how to get the 6.5 to pass future emissions and will be introduced as just "Humvee" in 08. not H1

Ground hawg
05-03-2007, 02:40 AM
Replacing the engine isnt that dificult. I'm on my third. oil line removal is quite easy. make sure you get the A/C emptied first before you start anything, also go to http://flashoffroad.com/, and look at engine info. you want to make sure you have the latest block design. while your doing the replacement look at running some cooling lines from the rear blank plates just behind #7 & #8. if your mechanicly minded you can do this mod yourself for about $20. if not you could always buy the kit for several hundred. (hell if you ask nice i'll do it for the cost of parts and postage).

P.S hardest thing I found was getting a spanner to fit the fan.

also get a load of zip lock bags to keep all the small parts in and lable them