PDA

View Full Version : need help...'03 H2 with AC problems

CBR_Raven
05-11-2007, 05:46 AM
ok, for the last few days i had been hearing a funny noise (sqeaking sound) coming from the engine compartment when accelerating...it only happens when the AC is on. well, yesterday, the noise stopped all of a sudden. however, when the noise stopped, the AC stopped blowing cold air...turns out to be the AC belt had broken off. well, after replacing the belt, the AC is now blowing cold air again but the noise has returned as well. can anyone help me with this issue?

CBR_Raven
05-11-2007, 05:26 PM
:confused: please help...somebody, anybody?

twenty2
05-11-2007, 05:27 PM
it could be your serpentine belt now making the noise. Normally when you change out a belt, you might as well change both belts. Try that. That belt is only around 15 bucks. Otherwise it may be a pulley problem.

audiofetish
05-11-2007, 05:37 PM
Sometimes new belts squeak. If you get a bar of soap and rub it lightly on the inside of the belt it will make it go away (old school trick). It also could be the bearings on the AC compressor. You can take the belt off and turn it by hand to see how it turns.

lonePalm
05-11-2007, 05:45 PM
Ck the compressor.

CBR_Raven
05-11-2007, 08:54 PM
anyone in the Sacramento area know of a good place to have it checked out, other than the stealership?

IRA51
05-11-2007, 08:59 PM
THE BELT TENSIONER ON THE GM TRUCKS ARE A PROBLEM . I WOULD CHECK IT AND REPLACE IF NEEDED AND ALWAYS USE A GOOD BELT .FOR THE MAIN SERPENTINE BELT THE GOODYEAR GATORBACK BELT IS VERY GOOD FOR THE AC BELT GATES,GOOD YEAR ,OR THE GM BELT IS FINE. THE SOAP TRICK IS NOT GOING TO WORK FOR THE SYSTEM WITH A TENSIONER ,IT MAY STOP IT FOR A FEW DAYS BUT IT WILL NOT FIX A BAD BELT OR TENSIONER.

CBR_Raven
05-11-2007, 09:02 PM
it could be your serpentine belt now making the noise. Normally when you change out a belt, you might as well change both belts. Try that. That belt is only around 15 bucks. Otherwise it may be a pulley problem.

i honestly don't think it's the belt at all. the sound is much louder and annoying than just a belt sqeaking...sounds like a wheel or something else gone bad

CBR_Raven
05-11-2007, 09:05 PM
THE BELT TENSIONER ON THE GM TRUCKS ARE A PROBLEM . I WOULD CHECK IT AND REPLACE IF NEEDED AND ALWAYS USE A GOOD BELT .FOR THE MAIN SERPENTINE BELT THE GOODYEAR GATORBACK BELT IS VERY GOOD FOR THE AC BELT GATES,GOOD YEAR ,OR THE GM BELT IS FINE. THE SOAP TRICK IS NOT GOING TO WORK FOR THE SYSTEM WITH A TENSIONER ,IT MAY STOP IT FOR A FEW DAYS BUT IT WILL NOT FIX A BAD BELT OR TENSIONER.

are you refering to the tensioner on the main belt or just the AC belt?

H2 Bill
05-11-2007, 10:57 PM
As was mentioned previously, try removing the serpantine belt and try turning all of the pulleys and see if you notice any dragging or roughness. It is most likely the idler or tensioner pulley that is making the noise. They are both easy to fix...you can replace them yourself.

CBR_Raven
06-30-2007, 03:04 AM
i took the H2 in to the stealership to have them take a look and see what the problem was. well, here is what the invoice reads...

verifyed concern found when accelerating can hear rattle noise when A/C is on. inspected found when A/C knocking noise from A/C compressor and is leaking oil/R134A from front seal and is leaking on belt...found belts tensioner damaged.

well, i talked to the service advisor and was basically told that i needed a new A/C compressor...total cost with labor = $1200.00 :eek:

IRA51
06-30-2007, 09:28 AM
A new comp and both tensoners and both belts with a new dryer,orifice tube and suck out and recharge should not cost more than $700.00 or $800.00 . I would find a good reputable mechanic who does auto ac and save yourself $400.00 . the dealer may not be your best bet .

jmsspratlin
06-30-2007, 10:55 AM

Yes, but the GatorBack belt is a bit pricy, so be prepared to pay. However, it has a lifetime warranty. I had a Dodge that had the same problem, and the gatorback didn't help. Also, the Dodge had a 6" lift on it with 22" wheels, so it in essence had more weight to turn thus sincreasing the strain.

IRA51
07-01-2007, 04:23 AM
The gatorback is only $26.00,a full tank of premium is $75.00 ,seams to me spending $7.00 or $8.00 more on a good belt is not out of line .as far as your dodge belt problem a good belt won't solve a problem like bad pullys out of alignment brackets and the like . my last Dodge was a 1995 ,5.9 with a set of ported heads and a mild cam ,headers and a Rancho lift with 35X12.50 BFG MT's and the thing just kept running and other than the cheap interior parts that always broke it was very solid and trouble free.

OrangeCrush
07-03-2007, 02:44 AM
I'm not sure which belt it is but there is one brand (I thought it was gatorback) that I promise will squeel when you put it on. I've tried the same brand on 2 different vehicles with the same result.

I had to change belts the very next day. Like I said, I'm not sure which brand it was but there's something about that particular brand on GM's.

Back on the subject on hand. I had to replace my ac compressor last year, I got the compressor for about 500 bucks and labor was a couple of hundred. I think 1200 is way out of line.

CBR_Raven
07-17-2007, 11:11 PM
bought this off ebay...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=005&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWN%3AIT&viewitem=&item=150142093534&rd=1,1

wish me luck

IRA51
07-18-2007, 04:18 PM
TOO HOT TO WAIT MUCH LONGER,SURPRISED YOU HELD OUT SO LONG .:twak:

mdoyle
07-18-2007, 04:50 PM
Just about every compressor with any miles will show signs of leakage around the front seal, that doesn't mean it's totally dead.

One thing to keep in mind whenever you change out a serpentine belt is to replace the tensioner at the same time. Over time the old belt will change in size as it wears and the old tensioner will develop a set (sticking) point.

Now if you put a new belt on an old tensioner, the tensioner load position changes and it often won't fully tension the new belt resulting in slippage under load, belt squeal, and quick failure.

The first thing I'd do is replace the tensioner and give it another try as long as the new belt isn't damaged. Then if your A/C still doesn't work, go with the repair of that system.

CBR_Raven
07-18-2007, 09:33 PM
Just about every compressor with any miles will show signs of leakage around the front seal, that doesn't mean it's totally dead.

One thing to keep in mind whenever you change out a serpentine belt is to replace the tensioner at the same time. Over time the old belt will change in size as it wears and the old tensioner will develop a set (sticking) point.

Now if you put a new belt on an old tensioner, the tensioner load position changes and it often won't fully tension the new belt resulting in slippage under load, belt squeal, and quick failure.

The first thing I'd do is replace the tensioner and give it another try as long as the new belt isn't damaged. Then if your A/C still doesn't work, go with the repair of that system.

hmmm...that's interesting. i might try that before i have the new compressor installed. i already picked up a new tensioner from the dealer and i plan on gettting a new belt also before i install the tensioner. however, i will still have the new compressor if that doesn't work out.

Planohummer
07-24-2007, 03:22 AM
the '03 and '04 model trucks have a low-pressure cycle switch with a nasty habit of over-cycling the compressor and causing it to shell. If your switch has a brown band on it it's the old style. Switch is on the line at receiver(aluminum 'jar' pass side firewall). compressor is most likely shot, tensioner most likely has limiting tab cracked off--look for 1/4 " tab that should set a movement limit on the tensioner arm.

CBR_Raven
07-28-2007, 12:25 AM
well, i got the new AC compressor, belt tensioner and new belts installed today...so far so good. the AC blows like the truck is brand new :jump: