PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have this brake caliper upgrade?

Cesardajr
05-23-2007, 07:53 PM
I have the stock wheels and a big brake upgrade is not possible without a bigger wheel which i dont want, so has anyone used SSBC 3 piston brake calipers? they claim up to 16% more braking torque. i have price them at $750 for the front pair. Do you think 3 pistons over the factory 2 piston calipers design will make a difference?

http://members.cox.net/cesartjr/Calipers.jpg

Caliper Specs:

Force 10 Tri-Power HD 3-Piston aluminum calipers
Number of Pistons 3
Piston Size 51mm
Constructed From Lightweight Aluminum reduces "unsprung weight"
Standard Finish Clear Anodized
Optional Finishes Polished or Powder Coated
All hardware included
Bolts to stock spindles
Calipers come with clear anodized finish
Includes high performance pads
Reuses stock cradle brackets
Fits stock wheels
NOTE: Must be used with stock size rotors

Heres the factory spec web page
http://www.ssbrakes.com/products/detail/4947/?make=Hummer&model=H2&year=2006

Let me know if you have them, how did they work for you, how much did you pay.

tower
05-27-2007, 02:15 AM
What do you mean by "improvement"? You will not reduce your stopping distance even with the four piston Brembo's and bigger wheels. (That's why the manufacturer will make no such claim.) :lame:

You will get a less mushy feel to the brakes and less chance of overheating with more pistons. :D

DennisAJC
05-27-2007, 02:26 AM
Where the hell have you been Tower?!?!?!

Last I heard you had a ticker problem or something. Welcome back.

tower
07-26-2007, 09:13 AM
Hi, Dennis! It HAS been a while. I just saw this post. It's nice to hear from you. I've been trying to recover. It wasn't the ticker, but rather my aorta dissected. It was a little serious. They actually called a code blue on me in the ICU. I had never been dead before. Not an experience I would recommend. Anyway, later, they went to repair it and gave me a stroke. My entire left side was completely paralyzed. I'm much better now, bu still walking with a cane. And I didn't ski at all last season.:violin:
But I'm still alive and despite what anyone may tell you, that's a good thing.:dancingbanana:

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
07-26-2007, 12:32 PM
Hey tower,

Good to see ya on. I have and still battling more effects from my 3 year GI Bleeding problem. I have some damage to the computer in my head due to constant oxygen deprivation. I just for the 4th time moved to a new neurosurgeon that deals in seizures caused by trauma and so far i love this guy. He jumped in the middle of it with both feet. He told doctors that made the referals that he does not want any of their files until he has made his own analysis of my situation. I was really impressed with that. He told me that he will look at what everyone else thinks after he has done his work. He is having me in some kind of out patient test 2 times a week and said it will be that way for 5 to 8 weeks depending on what he finds along the way.
I have not been allowed to drive now for over a year well since my last kid was married 6/10/06. It was my youngest girl and her wish was that I drove her off in my H2 rather than some stupid limo she said. So I did that and have not driven it much since. Dragon keeps it at the shop making almost continious upgrades that sposnors want and he hauls it to shows.

Well sorry to be so chatty but, hey who is kidding who that is my well known trademark.

Really very good to hear some news about you. I'm off and on with forum depending on how well i'm doing. Many times i just read. I have not gotten to go to the shop with Dragon much since it is about an hours drive away at 80MPH. My daughter takes me to Docs etc. She will take me to shop every so often. I enjoy it and it is a highlight of the month for me.

On the brakes I do not feel the extra piston will help as much as going to stainless steel lines to the factory caliper. The rubber lines are spongy. You could also change to a different pad and rotor. If I was looking to do something without it being a major project I would change the brake lines and it should firm up the brakes allot.

Well I Pray good health for you tower. You know i mean it sincerely. I told my new Doc I have been outdoors all my life and made my living outdoors as a rice farmer etc. I have had to just rely on my faith to hang on. I just tell Doc I think I do not at 50 years old can live the rest of my life in a constant state of being couped up in the house etc. My youngest daughter and her husband moved in with me to help and I'm proud of them but, yet I do not know how to feel to put it ashamed or something. This 22 year young lady should be off on her own with her husband who is a great young man. She was not going to marry the guy last summer when all this seizure stuff started and told him she could not and leave me alone. I felt bad when I found out through the grapevine about her feeling like that, yet proud also as these are things i have taught my children is that when it comes to trouble family blood is thicker than anything and when most will run away in troubled times family will be there. I called them together and told them look get married i will do fine still her answer was no so i told them look I do not need this big house all to myself so get married and pick out what ever rooms you need etc. Well just bragging on my young responsible daughter so should stop.
'
Oh, tower since we talked last i became a grand pappy for the first time by from my oldest daughter. My grandson has the same priviledge and curse as i had as being the first and oldest granchild in my family. So much was expected of me when it came to all the grandkids etc. tower shoot me an email or PM to get me an update when you get a chance. It is 6;20am and no sleep and nothing to do except write my usual long winded note.

I thank all for your patience.

TAZ

H2bill
07-27-2007, 05:52 AM
Tower and TAZ,
We haven't met, but I'm glad you are both on the mend and choosing a positive outlook. It definitely helps recovery. TAZ, it sounds like you have every right to be proud of your family. What a blessing. I'll keep you both in my prayers.

Bill

Alt-F4
07-27-2007, 08:35 AM
From what I researched on my own before looking at mods what Tower and Taz said is good info.

From what I understand (and I may be wrong here :confused: ) the extra pistons help with brake pulsing (fading?)on very long very hard braking situations.. ie... towing a heavy load down a long mountain. I plan on getting the same upgrade calipers as you have listed. I am wondering why they do not make a set for the rear also. (confused :confused: )

The stainless steel brake lines (which I'm getting) help with squishy brake peddle feel.

I was told by some old school race car builders I know that the brake pads are the most important part and I should look for high quality pads semi-metallic not organic. They also said stay away from drilled and slotted rotors as they heat up faster :confused: ? More metal= more cooling one told me. I'm not sure if all of this is accurate for the H2 but these guys are friends and I am sure they don't want me to wreck on bad brakes.

I have passed this info on in hopes I am understanding what was told to me. Also to make sure it is correct. If it isn't correct please post your thoughts.

To Taz and Tower. I had no idea you both have been going through so much stuff to do with your health. I have read many posts from Taz and remember seeing Tower post when I joined the forum. My heart goes out to both of you. I will be praying for both of you to fully recover. Taz I can relate to your daughter. My father is elderly and has had some close calls health wise. My mother died close to 15 years ago, so he has been alone. I finally made the decision to move across the country to be around should he need me. He is very stubborn (retired military) and at first rejected the help. He now has warmed up to it and is glad I'm around if only to stare at stars and talk with him at night :) .

tower
07-30-2007, 11:10 AM
Dear H2bill and Alt-F4,

Thank you both for your kind and encouraging words, thoughts and prayers. Some times those are the only things that get me through my day.

DearTAZ,

Damn, it's good to hear from you, Man! I'm really glad you're still around. And as far as bragging goes, hell, I'm proud of your daughter too! :clapping:It is uncommon these days for kids to be so devoted to their parents. You should be very proud of the way you raised her. :perfect10s:I will PM you soon (it?s 3+ a.m. for me).

Love to all,
~t

tower
07-31-2007, 05:18 AM
Cesardajr,

If more is beter, why stop at 3 piston calipers? Why not 6?

http://www.wilwood.com/BrakeKits/Pages/01/index.asp

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
07-31-2007, 07:48 AM
Hey, thanks tower and to all you other Buds that have contacted me with well wishs. It is the reason I rate this forum one of if not the
Best (with a big B) forums there is. Good old KenP checks in on me since the beginning when he took me under wing and taught me the do's and do nots of unwritten forum rules so I did not PO anyone. Well with thought Dennis also guided me along with Vegas and Klaus along with a few of the oldest members that are not on as much from over 3 years ago.

I appreciate so very much the well wishs and Prayers. It is hard to express the genuine appreciation that I feel when all the old gang as well as the newer gang that learn of my situation as well as a few more forum Buds who are battling health issues such as tower and PARAGON are going through and have been fighting the battle a long time, then the forum wishing Us all well.

I just keep on keepin on. One day at a time. Raised just a tough ole country/farmer kid tower. I will not let up on my end but, wonder at some point if one of these ailments are not going to get the best of me requardless how tough and strong I think I am. The first led to one thing then the next to another. Like a domino effect? The only thing that bothers me about it all is I'm having allot of memory laps. If it was something from way back in my life I call it up or someone jogs me and then I can pull it up. If it is something inside the last year who knows if I can pull it up? I try to write down as much as I can hoping it well get better.

Thanks for the compliments on my girls tower. Just taught them God, Family, Friends, Country, and then work hard. If priorities are correct most everything else will work out the right way.

GREATFULLY,
TAZ

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
07-31-2007, 09:33 AM
H2bill and Alt-F4,

Thanks for Your support. It is really appreciated. Like tower friends and Prayers are all that keep me fighting after such a long battle.

Alt-F4 the steel braided lines will help allot against fading. With You pulling heavy loads and not on level roads all the time I think You are going in the right direction with braking choices. It takes just as long to change to 6 piston as it does 3 piston calipers. Part cost is more but, under Your condition I would want to make sure the rig stopped period and the cost will not be wasted by any means. Better safe than sorry. It sounds like You have some friends that are trying to help. Drilled and slotted rotors on H2 was to help in mud or dust etc. cleaning out quicker off-roading. Thinking about it solid metal seems logical for the road use while towing. You need the increased braking power for sure. Just be sure that rotors have the capabilty for air movement so rotors do not warp from lack of cooling. The H2 while on the pavement should get plenty of air to cool rotors. I would after some thought move with the solid rotors in Your situation. Do not forget tower mentioned 6 pistons for very real stopping power increase. The trick to keeping good braking is not over heating the components especially the rotor as they will warp. Then You really feel wierd stuff through the brake pedal.

Something You may consider is to see if You can buy them hardened by cryogenics or most likely have someone that can do yours. Dragon has been getting requests for rice rockets rotors to be hardened that way and just by chance we have a place in Little Rock, AR who can do it.

I know I have not said anything You have not figured out anyway but, sometime just a vote that lines up with others recomendations helps the mind.

God Speed on Your upgrade project,

TAZ

Cesardajr
08-01-2007, 07:03 PM
Tower

Quote from original post

"I have the stock wheels and a big brake upgrade is not possible without a bigger wheel which i dont want, so has anyone used SSBC 3 piston brake calipers?"
:D