PDA

View Full Version : CBS-news interview with an H2-owner

Steve R
11-22-2002, 05:42 AM
Dearest Humm-buddies,
This new web-based thing is sorta new to me....I'm a bit more familar with the H2ml and am known to be somewhat of a writing fury on that list. Anyways...here I am in new waters with new H2-buds.

Steve R
11-22-2002, 05:42 AM
Dearest Humm-buddies,
This new web-based thing is sorta new to me....I'm a bit more familar with the H2ml and am known to be somewhat of a writing fury on that list. Anyways...here I am in new waters with new H2-buds.

Steve R
11-22-2002, 05:57 AM
okay...with one ill-stroke of the keys, I accidently sent off that post before I was done. I'll get the hang of this yet.

I can see that you've all covered the recent news about religious groups and environmental activist making a fuss about SUV's and Hummers. Well...I mean to tell ya, CBS is doing a follow-up story about why the Hummer H2 is so popular and getting the perspective of an H2 owner....and that owner was me and that interview was today.

They came to my home and took some footage...then we were off. They actually interviewed me while I was driving...not fun; driving an H2, being nervous in front of a national audience, and being assualted with questions that inherently you gotta suspect are aimed at trying to get some dirt on H2 owners. Oh yeah...right about then a root-canal sounded more appealing!

I did what I could, stayed honest and tried to keep a positive perspective...but it's tough! Only time and media-editing will tell.

The producer told me the piece would air on CBS, channel 2, this Sunday, November 24th at 5:30pm. It's a follow-up to all the latest attacks on SUV's.

I did the best I could and hope I represented us well. I will tell ya this...I took the producer offroading and while it was NOT my intention...she was screaming a bit. Jesus may save....but Hummer conquers! I made her a believer right there on the spot...can I get an amen?

buddy
11-22-2002, 10:14 AM
Amen Brother

buddy

SONA
11-22-2002, 10:35 AM
Good job.

Mike
11-22-2002, 03:35 PM
Amen Brother!

Want to hear something funny... I had something happen to me in the city the other day that I couldn't help but to laugh at. A lady pulled up along side of me and starting shaking her head from side with a look of disgust on her face. So I rolled my window down and asked "Is there a problem Mam?" she replied "what a waste of resources!", I said "Excuse me...you're the one driving a volkswagen bus that is leaking oil over the place and have no muffler on it!..then I said, "Doesn't look like you are worried about low emission standards driving around in that thing" I could look into the back seat of her bus and noticed a half empty case of oil that I assume she uses to fill up with occasionally. She then looked at me with a dirty look and tried to say something...stuttered..and finally..the only thing that could come out of her mouth was.."you son of a bit**"..then she try to speed away when her bus stalled on her. I pulled up along side her and asked "You need a jump?

My buddy and I ended up giving her a push and got her on her way. Why? Who knows..but the lady ended up apoligizing and I handed her an Environmental features brochure that I grabbed at the Hummer dealer which I had in the back of my Hummer so she can read over, maybe while her bus was in the shop or something /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I think some of these people make a big deal out of things without having the proper knowledge first.

x-mst.com
11-22-2002, 04:31 PM
What exactly are the "Environmental features"? I haven't seen this brochure.

Mike
11-22-2002, 06:30 PM
You can check them out at gmability.com

Steve R
11-22-2002, 09:07 PM
Ya know, the funny thing is...people still judge a book by the cover. Everyone assumes the H2 must get 5 mpg and is overly consuming in resources.

Let's be honest here....the H2 is not exactly the hybrid ultra-efficient solution to an energy crisis....but it isn't the unholy resurrection of the devil either. The H2 gets mileage that is very consistent with ANY other truck or SUV of similar size and nature. I've got several friends with large pick-ups and SUV's that get worse mileage then the H2!

11-24-2002, 09:19 PM
I just saw the bit on CBS --

You looked great, so did the Hummer! You represented us well. You must have given a very sharp interview, they weren't able to say anything bad or piece together anything you said to make you or us look bad. Job well done!

The Jesus crispies and the enviro-hypocrites didn't fare as well. I think they came off as the close minded and shallow thinkers they are. Their attempt to equate buying gas to funding terrorism is ridiculous.

Steve R
11-25-2002, 02:12 AM
I was very disappointed with the interview. They had asked me about 20 hardline questions....which I nailed VERY well...even the producer commented on some of my responses being really smooth.

In the end, they only quoted me responding to only one question...and even that response was edited down. I mentioned how the H2 gets better mileage then some other vehilces, costs less then many other SUV's, and is used responsibly by its owners. I was VERY disappointed with the limited use of my interview...BUT, at least they didn't get any dirt or use my stuff for EVIL purposes.

Thanks again

MAC
11-25-2002, 02:25 AM
Steve, You are lucky they used your interview at all. I came from a newspaper/TV/Radio family, I watched how the news is made since I was a little boy, that is how it works, 90% of the tapes, photos or interviews are dumped. Nothing personal, everything has to fit in that 30 seconds, 60 seconds or 2 minutes, exactly. Too bad I miss seeing it.

Steve R
11-25-2002, 03:29 AM
I did get one thing in "It's a Hummer....like nothing else!" /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Your right about the editing...but why did they spend so much time and ask all those other questions? Oh well. There will likely be a video we can all watch from our computer on that clip soon enough. Too bad the environmentalist got so much coverage.

Can you believe their hype: our buying so much gas helps support contries that in turn support terrorism. So by this transitive theory, we Hummer owners support terrorism??? What a crock! Most of us would give up an apendage for a shot at running Bin Ladden over with our Hummers! We bleed red-white & blue...they bleed chlorophyl? /infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

TonkaH2
11-25-2002, 02:34 PM
I haven't found too many greens who live off the grid, and if they turn on a light switch, then they strip mine for coal and pollute more than an H2. . . For that matter, if they use any gasoline or oil, they support drilling in the Artic Wildlife Refuge.

-Jack
Yellow H2 on order
"I think I can make it. D'OH!"

MAC
11-25-2002, 02:47 PM
Steve, as you know, you or Hummer were NOT the story, but environmentalists were the focus of the story. The story started with the environmentalists, without them, no story. Reporters asked 20 questions to understand the counter points vs the environmentalists, they went back and tried to find 1, 2 or at most 3 very short sound bites to fit the environmentalist story. One looks for those few short sentences which fit the story, not your point of view. Generally they may interview several people at similar length about similar subjects as you, pick one or 2. Sounded like you did a good job.

As to environmentalist's crazy views, nothing changes, who care what they think? They will always find something to complaint anyway.

11-25-2002, 04:36 PM
The Earth is not in danger, and we cannot tamper with Nature, we /are/ Nature.

The only thing that will ensure our children have a better, cleaner world is to make /less/ children. /Population/ is the biggest problem facing humanity, /nothing else matters/ in comparison. Use the pill, drive a Hummer.

[I know this leads to the question: What if only the stupid people breed like mad, won't be overrun with idiots? And the answer to that question is: That already happened.]

Beck
11-25-2002, 05:58 PM
In light of the recent publicity surrounding Hummer, any Hummer out there without a locking gas cap is like Mr. Austin Power going out of his door without a dozen rubbers.
Sounds like an environmentalist's battle cry to me. Time to play DEFENSE.

11-25-2002, 07:48 PM
To Steve and the others, regarding the war, if someone tells you that driving the hummer is supporting terrorists, they aren't trying to say you are a communist, don't be so insecure about it. What they are trying to say is that INDIRECTLY, yes, there is a connection, look around, are we or are we not a country addicted to our cars, do we drive alone most often, how important is the vehicle in our culture, and what would we do or how far would we go to keep this lifestyle that we all take for granted. Don't take it so personally, people just want you all to think a little deeper and beyond the 'screw them, i do what i want attitude' because it's quite immature and who pays in the end? We all do. I don't see how people truly think that SUV's and hummers are doing anything positive accept keeping smiles on those of you who like to consciously like to indulge?? Can someone help me with this? I am willing to listen...thanks if you post and read this...

TS
11-25-2002, 08:27 PM
The greatest thing about this country is the freedom of choice. The people in this forum are respectful of that. You choose to ride a bicycle, I think that's fantastic. Just as you will have a problem if your right to choose is questionned, others will too. Calling people shallow over their choice of vehicle is doesnt exactly cause people to think deeper.. it just makes people angry. I like the way the truck looks, I like the comfort, and safety on freeways.
You may not consider them to be possitive traits, but to me, those were my primary reasons for buying a car.

Steve R
11-25-2002, 08:35 PM
nahhh....the green people may be seriously into conservation and the like...but they wouldn't go so far as to spike our tanks with something that would kill/hurt our engines...would they???

11-25-2002, 09:09 PM
I'm a bicyclist, too. Why would words from a bicyclist have any more or less weight?

11-25-2002, 09:19 PM
What is it I haven't thought deeply about, exactly? Just because someone hasn't come to the same conclusion as you doesn't mean they haven't thought about things as deeply.

And FYI, it's /religion/ that causes terrorism, not oil. Heh, now I have no friends left.

Beck
11-25-2002, 09:55 PM
There is plenty of oil today and there will be plenty of oil tomorrow. Long before human use up the oil on this planet, new technologies will come along to move the humankind to the next level of energy use, which is happening as we speak. America holds the world’s largest oil reserve underground, wisely we do not plan on using most of them, with or without Alaska’s oil, not until we use other people’s oil first. While we use others’ oil, we made sure we control every process of the oil from the discovery, drilling, transportation, refinery, marketing to final distribution, the money they get for the oil will be the money we print, which they will use to buy the products we make or products we sell and invest in our companies. Consequently, millions of jobs are created and billions upon billions are made, not by greedy oil companies, but by tens of millions of investors, workers, families, governments, non-profit environmental and humanitarian groups worldwide, not just in America. The cycles of money generated by every drop of oil goes on to feed not just our American way of life, but also the hunger of the world. We shall make no apology for our absolute control of the oil by ways of finance, industry, diplomacy or military power, because it is our responsibility to our nation, our heritage, our family, our children and to the world, as we bear the burden as the world leader in every aspect of the modern human society. Regional wars, terrorists’ acts or environmentalists’ outcry, past, present or future are but bumps along the way to our total domination of oil. That there be no misunderstanding that we shall use all powers available to maintain out total control of the oil. The strongest will survive, and we shall remain steadfast to be the strongest ones in this world. I myself am proud of the above mentioned facts and will not apologize for the confident thoughts and responsible actions of my country, which is the greatest country in human history.

MAC
11-25-2002, 10:08 PM
Wow, you maybe right, but let's not talk politics and let's not talk religion, let's just stay with Hummer. When telemarketers call, the worst thing you can do is to engage in a debate with them, they love that and they got you hooked. Let's ignore them.

Steve, my wife heard a CBS radio news spot about Hummer and gas etc.. I think that was you in the radio news, even though I did not hear it. Reporters adapt their print or TV reports to radio "spots", generally 30 seconds "spots", which the network distributes to affliated stations worldwide. Each station select what they want to use, reporters get a final count monthly from the network, they get paid for every use of the "spot". The more interesting the story, more stations use it and thus more payment for the reporter.

You are famous. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

kelleymac2000
11-25-2002, 10:24 PM
I don't think that the fact that it came from a bicyclist was a negative, but provided counterpoint to the argument. Choosing not to drive at all, rather than an SUV. Just my 2-cents.
Kelley

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by H2X0R:
I'm a bicyclist, too. Why would words from a bicyclist have any more or less weight?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

TS
11-25-2002, 10:39 PM
Mac,
You da man, let's leave politics and religion out of this forum. I am sure everyone here has an opinion on both subjects.. and there are forums out there for people to tear each other apart. Coming back to the CBS spot, I havent seen it yet and would love to see it, is the clip out on the web somewhere?

Zing
11-25-2002, 11:10 PM
Mac, how come every time I read a political or religious debate you're right there in the middle of it. Everyone's all riled up now. /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Agreed, there are other more intriguing forums to debate this stuff.

MAC
11-25-2002, 11:33 PM
I am trying to break up a fight, Zazing, don‘t you get in there to throw #%@& at the fan. I belong to some fraternities and country club, the basic rule is NO TALK OF POLITICS & RELIGION, strickly enforced. Both subjects can turn best friends and families into deadly enemies.

Zing
11-26-2002, 12:52 AM
Mac, I'm only breaking chops. I applaud you for stepping in.

MAC
11-26-2002, 01:13 AM
No problem, actually a little confrontation can be fun, but politics and religion can get out of control real fast.
I am on page 4 of this Maritz Hummer survey. It has 74 boxes for me to check why I selected my new vehicle. I think workers in China get paid more than me($1). Just finished page 3, why I did not buy my 2nd choice (Cadi Escalade), my only reason was not listed, I filled in writing: "SAW HUMMER." /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

11-26-2002, 07:50 AM
I appreciate that you're willing to read my post and make comments.

TS, you're right, I shouldn't have assumed shallowness, we all have personal preferences and we do supposedly live in a free country which I respect, but if we take advantage of our rights, we will start to lose them. I try not to have habits that are in any way damaging to society or the society of the future, sometimes we can't help it, but sometimes we know we could be doing better. Don't you think if everyone cut back just a little bit on their luxuries and indulgences, the rest of the world could eat or sleep or get jobs or be healthier? Does any see this indirect correlation? Just looking at the Hummer radiates excess size, unnecessary security, and uneeded extra gas use. Sure it's your right to have one, but aren't there other healthier ways to satisfy this temporary desire you have of wanting a vehicle that barely fits on most roads? Our culture is all about excess and that's why there's inequality, when things like the hummer becomes popular, this excess becomes so transparent that of course you are going to have people bitching at you.

Steve, I guess I would probably fit into your category of 'green people.' I can only assume what this term means to you, but to me it means giving a **** about the natural resources that we rely on for pretty much most things in our lives. It's that simple. Whatever turns you off about environmentalists shouldn't make you stop caring. It just takes a littel bit of your time to really look at what we consume, where it comes from, how we get it, and where it goes. Soon you too might realize that the strain each person puts on resources eventually contributes to a colapse, a breakdown, or even a war. I don't know if someone would spike your tank, but that's not how I have grown to work out difference. Instead I believe in rational civilized open-ended non-violent dialogue.

SONA
11-26-2002, 09:22 AM
I say screw them... and the camel they road in on. No one is fooled, this is all about oil, and all the other crap is an excuse. I'll be the first one to back over any terrorist with my Hummer. I was "Green" once too and have not lost my roots. But my Hummer is not the problem with or the cause of the worlds evil, or the oil gluttony, or the green partys ambitions, or causing gun violence in america (I love my GUNS!). People are the problem. So lets get some free gas from Uncle Sam and go help hunt terrorists! Look at any large industry in the US and see how much they depend on oil, gas, propane, water.... IT AINT the little guy.

11-26-2002, 06:06 PM
To Sona, who ever you are, I once heard an interview with Timothy McVeigh's accomplice and it scares me to make this correlation, but you have the same 'screw them' (whoever 'them' is because many of them happen to be fellow Americans?) attitude. As well as the same view of Uncle Sam, although nothing is free while i believe our taxes pay for such a convenience as how little we pay for gas.

But the scariest coincidence is the same love of guns. You say that people are the problem...to me, this is the problem. This attitude largely based on emotion rather than ration is the problem. Pretty much all of our taxes go to defense and now homeland, in essence guns and deadbolts on our doors. Is this the kind of world we want to live in because this is certainly the direction we are headed????

Don't you see that all those large industries you speak of that depend on oil are ever more supported now by you, the hummer user?

Hum2
11-26-2002, 06:17 PM
Hey Steve R....has anyone digitized your interview and posted it anywhere?

Ric

Hum2
11-26-2002, 06:19 PM
What's this rookie stuff....I've had my H2 now for over 2 weeks and have studied the H2 from concept thru production.

Ric

Texas Red
11-26-2002, 06:29 PM
Hehehe!

Ric, you're classified as a Rookie to this Forum until you make 5 or 6 posts (I think). Those of us from H2ML know you're no "rookie". /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Jim
Red H2 in Texas

m998
11-26-2002, 07:18 PM
Sooo, were gas suckin terrorists, eh?
Next time you hear that just ask “Can you say HMMWV (Humvee)?!
/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

SJ
11-26-2002, 07:41 PM
khp:

Every one has an agenda in life and I respect freedom of choice.

To environmentalists, the H2 is a GAS GUZZLER that depletes natural resources at accelerated rates.

I'll never buy a Japanese car for PERSONAL reasons, but I don't expect you or any one else to conform to my agenda and beliefs.

To a family guy, driving a large car provides the capacity and safety that a smaller car like a Chevy Cavalier or Ford Focus cannot provide.

You have your agenda and I have mine.

ratesguy
11-26-2002, 08:11 PM
Is everyone aware that over 30 SUV,s in the Richmond area have been vandalized by eco-terrorists over the past month? Acid thrown on them, hatchet chopped and generally destroyed. Better get that locking gas cap quick

Steve R
11-26-2002, 08:58 PM
You know what I do for a living? I'm an insulation contractor. We specialize in going to homes that are already built and insulating their empty walls and adding more material to their attics. While my efforts certainly serve to provide me with a living, I will point out that in doing so I have helped thousands of people conserve HUGE amounts of electricity and natural gas. I am ALL ABOUT energy conservation!

My insulation has probably resulted in millions of less cubic feet of natural gas being combusted for heating and a huge reduction in uranium and fossil fuels from burned in order to run generators to make electricity for air conditioning. I've done more for the environment, the economy and our planet then ANY of those fake-ticket-posting vegans!

The way I see it is this: Not many people can go through their entire life without having accidently stepping on an ant....so when Jesus stepped on an ant, did that make him a murderer? NO. By similar token, just because I occassionally drive a vehicle that gets less then optimal gas mileage, does that mean I, a person who has saved so much energy for so many, is an energy glutton?

I have saved enough energy to pay the price for ALL our energy-sins. Behold: I am your energy savior. Yaay though I drive through the valley of rough terrain, I shall fear no obstacle...for I take comfort in the refinements of my H2 and know that it will carry me forth through whatever lay waiting ahead. You too can follow in my tire-prints....but only if your faith is strong enough!

Oh my...I've a twisted little mind /infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

H2-T2
11-26-2002, 09:04 PM
AMEN TO THAT, BROTHER....

ktower_heels
11-26-2002, 09:10 PM
Glad to hear you finally got your H2. I dropped off posting to the H2ML because it become to cluttered to keep up with. I still remember the original few when we had to travel to Chevy demo shows to take and post pictures for each other.
How you liking the big beast?

Will probably wait for 2004 model, purchase with my new company as "the company car".

TS
11-26-2002, 09:21 PM
Steve, that is the funniest thing I've seen so far. A quantitative justification for driving a gas guzzler. Too bad I cant use that line.. but wait, I did install a digital thermostat that virtually shuts down my heat during the day and keep my house a balmy 68 in the evenings.. I must be saving some energy. Hmmm.. I can now drive my H2 with my head held up high!!!

Steve R
11-26-2002, 09:21 PM
H2-T2....Amen to what I wrote, or to my having a twisted little mind. I'm guessing both? /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Steve R
11-26-2002, 09:26 PM
My purpose here is to make friends, discuss the H2 and have fun. While some of what I write may touch on religion, politics and general beliefs...I promise and assure you that it is entirely light-hearted and NOT to be taken literally.

I love to write, I work from my home and NEED the distraction, and if I can get you to laugh hard enough that your drink comes bursting up through your nostrils...then I'm doing my job right!

If anything I write offends anyone, PLEASE email me offlist and I will likely offer apologies and explanation. Let's stay focused Humm-budz...we're all here for fun!

H2-T2
11-26-2002, 09:28 PM
Steve R....I like the way you think and write! So I guess I should have said "Amen, Amen"

Steve R
11-26-2002, 09:31 PM
dude! I'll be your H2-30 anyday! or would that be CP-H2-0?

KAC
11-27-2002, 11:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ratesguy:
Is everyone aware that over 30 SUV,s in the Richmond area have been vandalized by eco-terrorists over the past month? Acid thrown on them, hatchet chopped and generally destroyed. Better get that locking gas cap quick<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Richmond, VA???? Or what state?

That's very close to me - guess I need to keep a close eye on my truck and find that locking gas cap.

Kim

KAC
'03 Red Adv Series

ratesguy
11-27-2002, 02:07 PM
KAC. Richmond Virginia-- And in more isolated places here in the U.S. Kind of scary /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif

KAC
11-27-2002, 05:53 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ratesguy:
KAC. Richmond Virginia-- And in more isolated places here in the U.S. Kind of scary /infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yikes, that's right around the corner - I have to drive through there on Sunday. I won't be stopping! Thanks for the info. Makes me glad I can park it so I can see it from my desk at work.

Kim

KAC
'03 Red Adv Series

Steve R
11-30-2002, 06:42 AM
Just 31 more views on this post and it breaks 1,000 total views!

Operators are standing by to note your view, please pitch in and do what you can to support this noble cause. Thanks!

Zing
11-30-2002, 04:36 PM
I noticed when I view a string and go back to the beginning, it doesn't tick up a notch. This one was just at 998, I looked at it, refreshed, and still 998. Anyway, 2 to go. What was this topic on again?

Steve R
11-30-2002, 04:48 PM
Okay....it hit 1000 views, let's kill this thread: can't even remember what it was about! As a swell tangent...check out my offroading pics on my "H2 ROCKS" thread!

Thanks all

Seth
11-30-2002, 06:41 PM
Isn’t it Ironic?

I live in the Bay Area, I see so many “environmentalists” driving vehicles like old VW buses. It’s funny they have bumper stickers all over their cars that talk about saving the planet, yet they all blow black smoke into the air as they drive down the streets of Berkeley from engines that have not been tuned up since Woodstock. You would think they would be driving single occupant vehicles that run on electricity, hydrogen, potatoes or whatever, but the vast majority do not. I hardly see any hybrid or electric cars on the road and this is the place where you would think you would find many of them.

I go out of my way to conserve when and where I can, I think most people with common sense do. Extreme environmentalists are like extreme anything, I don’t trust them, they are naive at best and obsessed at worst.

I look forward to driving my H2 all around the Bay Area and see all the environmentalists shaking there heads and pointing there fingers. They don’t know me, they don’t know what I do to help conserve, they make there judgments based on one thing, what they see me driving and they decide where the line should be drawn. It’s funny how the very “liberal” wind up being the most closed minded.

Peace Out, /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif
Seth

Steve R
11-30-2002, 11:15 PM
Great point Seth! Your totally correct. I myself happen to have an old '69 ghia convertible....I can assure you that the H2 does consume more fuel in terms of mpg....BUT the old VW engine does not combust the fuel nearly as clean and efficiently as the H2. The emmissions out of the VW could choke ya. The H2 may suck gallons...but she's way cleaner!

AND who says those old VW's get great mileage? Sure, they look modest and could usher in a great Woodstock event...but their 1600cc air-cooled engines get about 15 mpg trying to lug around those boxy shell-on-frame designs.

Steve R
12-04-2002, 03:12 AM
So I walk into a regular restraunt after a marathon racquetball night....and our usual waiter starts telling me how he saw me and my H2 on tv. But get this...they finally found a use for all the other footage they shot of my interview!

I'm going to call CBS and see what's up with that. I'll post what I can find. Rumor has it they compared it with a Discovery and my bud says I looked really 'capable' offroading it. We'll see?