PDA

View Full Version : Please help power stering failure

Rene S. Nielsen
05-31-2007, 08:14 PM
Hi

I'm having a strange problem here.

I was pushing a big trailer into a driveway, and suddenly without any warning both my power sterring and my power break assist (Or whatever you call this in english) failed at the same time.

I have no clue what the problem is...... Please help

I can drive the car but it's VERY difficult to steer and I need a lot of room to break (stop)

Hope to here some sugestions, since the only shop here in Denmark has 3 weeks notice to get any car into the shop

Best regards
Rene

timgco
05-31-2007, 09:16 PM
Hi

I'm having a strange problem here.

I was pushing a big trailer into a driveway, and suddenly without any warning both my power sterring and my power break assist (Or whatever you call this in english) failed at the same time.

I have no clue what the problem is...... Please help

I can drive the car but it's VERY difficult to steer and I need a lot of room to break (stop)

Hope to here some sugestions, since the only shop here in Denmark has 3 weeks notice to get any car into the shop

Best regards
Rene

What year? Power steering pumps do fail on the H2's.

Rene S. Nielsen
05-31-2007, 09:58 PM
It's a 2004 Month 7

Will the power steering pump also affect the breaking system ?

Rene

IRA51
05-31-2007, 09:58 PM
He's got the Hydraboost blues. yes it takes out the power assist and the PS.

Rene S. Nielsen
05-31-2007, 10:50 PM
So I change the Power steering pump, and this will solve my problem with the breaking too ?

What should I expect to pay for a new power steering pump, and is this DIY job.

I'm not a mecanic, but on the other hand I'm not afraid to try anyway.
Would it be easyer to reach if I remove the hood

Thanks for your help so far

Rene

IRA51
05-31-2007, 11:28 PM
the hydraboost pump is used to give you power steering and boost the brakes so they have power assist like a seprate vacume booster but done with hydrolic's .check the fluid level first ,if it is empty you may have blown a hose or a seal (better than blowing a walrus I have been told) if it is a bad hose you have a 50/50 chance that it will be fine with a new hose and a refill with fluid . it is an easy job to replace the hydraboost pump and sometimes all it is is a bad valve in the pump . you should be able to get a rebuilt one for under $150.00 but you will have to shop it . a new one is pricey. there are some shops that specialize in rebuilding racks and hydraboost pumps and are more reasonable than a new one .There is always NAPA and they will warentee it includeing labor if you have a shop install it for you. we have had a problems with 2005 Avalanche's that we have fixed with just a new valve and they are good as new .no need to remove the hood just leave it alone and get it from the top and bottom ,should not take more than 2 or 3 hours . and if any of you make fun of my spelling,I will hunt you down and make you drive a Prius with a Al Gore bumper sticker .

IRA51
06-01-2007, 01:47 AM
http://www.lemonauto.com/complaints/gm/hummer_h2.htm

nmu98
06-01-2007, 01:47 AM
and if any of you make fun of my spelling,I will hunt you down and make you drive a Prius with a Al Gore bumper sticker .

For a minute there I thought we had IRA90 on here..
U now wat i meens...:shhh:

Sometimes I have a hard time with all the failures from parts that have been around since 1950.... I would think that steering boxes, power steering pumps, tie rods, tranny coolers would last for a lifetime...:violin:

IRA51
06-01-2007, 03:31 AM
WTF DO YOU MEAN ? I'm only 56 ,I'll never see 90.more than likely won't even make 80 . my second ex wife used to say she was surprised I had lived to 40 with my attitude .;)

nmu98
06-01-2007, 12:20 PM
Forgive me, I thought 51 was year you were born..... IRA90, was meant to say you were like the 18 years olds on here..LOL.

IRA51
06-01-2007, 04:07 PM
I'm real impresed with that,want to try it in person?

nmu98
06-01-2007, 05:38 PM
I'm real impresed with that,want to try it in person?

Easy, I was just messing with you about your spelling..... Look at the quote I pulled.... :popcorn:

IRA51
06-01-2007, 05:56 PM
there is no doubt ,my spelling sucks. if they put a spell check option on here it woul help .:violin:

nmu98
06-01-2007, 06:28 PM
IE7 has it built in.....You can upgrade to it free...

But I have the same problem with spelling.... and I don't use the spell checker that I have...

MDimitri
06-01-2007, 08:45 PM
I just recently replaced my HydroBoost via the dealer and it ran me $1,600.00 for the part and install plus tax! If you go to Rock Auto you can find a very well priced one either new or RM'd, (I was unable to take advantage of RockAuto's pricing because I needed the part placed on quickly so I was at the mercy of the dealership) I believe the HydroBoost sold by Rock Auto was manufactured by A1Cardone, very nice quality.

Cheers!

Rene S. Nielsen
06-06-2007, 12:38 PM
Hi IRA51

Thanks for all your help

I have changed the PS pump, no big deal. I bought the pump part and had to reuse the housing.

I paid 200$ for the pump and another 200$ for a special tool to pull the belt pulley (hope this is the right word).

So 400 $ and a couple of hours to do the change. If anybody else need to do this and need advise fell free to ask.

Thanks again for all the help on this great forum

Rene S. Nielsen

IRA51
06-06-2007, 04:24 PM
now we know who to borrow the tool from. most autozone stores will lend you the tool for free .I had a machinest friend make mine years ago fo $20.00 . glad your up and running again.enjoy .

drmiles
08-06-2007, 02:41 PM
I just joined the no powersteering, no powerbrakes club, while pulling my travel trailer. Drove 160 miles using the trailer brakes to stop what a B#*%.

Still under warranty so I'll take it to the dealer this am. Glad to see one part can cause both to fail, I could not figure out what they shared.

2005 H2 42,000 miles :crying: