PDA

View Full Version : Poping noise when on steep climbs

Alan06SUT
05-31-2007, 11:07 PM
When I am on extreme climbs I hear a pop, pop, pop noise when I throttle up the hill. The CV shafts are fine, tie rods are fine, the T case may be screwed, but I want to know if I have more than one problem when I take it in next week. It still makes it up the hills (locker), but the sound seems to only come from the driver's side. Thats why I don't think its part of the T case issue.

The dealer thought the popping was a bent tie rod and it was replaced but since then the T case broke (unless it hasn't been working for a couple of months). Also it still feels like its in 4 when Im turning in 4 Hi?? But at the Hummer Happening everyone said neither of my front wheels were spinning when I tried to climb out of a mud hole. The popping occured on the hill climbs out there.

Any thoughts?

MDimitri
06-01-2007, 05:54 AM
Alan have you checked the seals on the diff? are they leaking at all? I had a similar problem and found my right side CV had a hairline fracture under the compression ring clamp (the side mounted to the diff), you could not see it when looking, but when pressure was applied such as going up an incline you could hear it pop. It wasn't there much after that it failed and broke.

Cheers!

Alan06SUT
06-04-2007, 02:06 AM
Thanks, both sound like they could be the prob. I'll make sure they check the CV shafts closely, and make sure the chain isn't stretched on the T-case.