PDA

View Full Version : Careful where you connect that ...

Wisha Haddan H3
06-02-2007, 12:43 AM
A guy in Michigan connects to an unsecured, unencrypted, unbranded, and otherwise open wireless network at a wi-fi cafe, and now faces a felony charge for "hacking" in for internet access. Yep ... a felony charge. (He's taking the plea bargain)

So be careful out there ... and next time just get a latte.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,276720,00.html

RubHer Yellow Ducky
06-02-2007, 01:09 AM
A guy in Michigan connects to an unsecured, unencrypted, unbranded, and otherwise open wireless network at a wi-fi cafe, and now faces a felony charge for "hacking" in for internet access. Yep ... a felony charge. (He's taking the plea bargain)

So be careful out there ... and next time just get a latte.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,276720,00.html

"A lot of people tell me I should fight this, but they're not the ones looking at the felony charges on their record if it happens to go bad," Peterson said.
The case has surprised locals, including the owner of the barbershop that initially called police, as well as Donna May, owner of the coffee shop.
"He could have just come in the cafe, even if he didn't have any money, I would let him get on it," May said.
May said that the wireless connection is free for customers to her cafe.
The barbershop owner defended his decision to call police.
"I felt bad about it, but we've had problems in the past," said the man, who declined to give his name. "I'd rather be safe than sorry."
For Peterson, who's never had a criminal record, the experience has been an eye-opening one.

The smart thing would be for May, the owner of the Coffee Shop to convince Law Enforcement to "DROP THE CHARGES" The guy thought he wasn't doing anything wrong (read the ENTIRE link) It would be GREAT PUBLICITY for the Coffee Shop instead on the negative image it might receive...

Wisha Haddan H3
06-02-2007, 11:02 AM
I agree, and I don't think he was doing anything wrong either. The internet cafe provided an internet service and he got arrested for looking at the free samples.

An open wireless network at an advertised internet cafe is an open invitation to connect. And "hacking (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker)" by definition requires some effort in computer programming either to create new access or circumvent built-in protections.

Agriv8r
06-02-2007, 02:34 PM
how would you know where the connection was coming from...ours is generic, without company logo and we are surrounded by parking lots...i am sure a few have "hacked" our system...

Wisha Haddan H3
06-02-2007, 06:06 PM
At some sites - like wireless internet at hotels - you get redirected to their home or login page when you connect. Otherwise, you have to read the SSID when you connect. That's the broadcast ID most people never change from "home" or "default" ... and most users don't know how to find, once the "connect" pop box goes away.

RubHer Yellow Ducky
06-02-2007, 08:45 PM
how would you know where the connection was coming from...ours is generic, without company logo and we are surrounded by parking lots...i am sure a few have "hacked" our system...

did you read the entire article?