PDA

View Full Version : warn 9.5ti question

rusty
06-06-2007, 12:12 AM
Has anyone used a warn 9.5ti while it was underwater??

And if so, any problems??

Any feedback is appreciated, thx.

rusty
06-08-2007, 01:17 AM
ok, i'll take that as no one has had a personal experience with this.

How about, has anyone heard about someone using a 9.5ti while it was underwater and what was the outcome?

Captain of the Titanic
06-08-2007, 04:11 PM
Take it from me....

If your truck is under water, leave it there... It's totalled....

rusty
07-03-2007, 10:39 PM
I've even searched the child forums and just can't find any info about this question.

TheGoodHummerMan
07-06-2007, 09:34 PM
Has anyone used a warn 9.5ti while it was underwater?? And if so, any problems?? Any feedback is appreciated, thx.
I heard that Warn has sold a bunch of 9.5ti winches to the Navy for use on nuclear subs.

Seriously, when I bought my 9.5ti one of the claims made by Warn was that it was a "well-sealed" winch and therefore was supposed to be unaffected by water. I'm not sure if that actually meant you could totally submerse them and use them while they are UNDERwater. Mine sits at roughly bumper height. I think you might have serious problems with the H2 electronics/sensors if you get your Hummer in that deep of water?

Why did you ask? Merely curious or is your Hummer sitting on the bottom of a lake somewhere? :giggling:

rusty
07-13-2007, 07:27 PM
just wondering if it will work if i'm stuck and its under or partially under water

thinkin of the plan b.

i had a sample photo to include, but could not upload.:confused:

TheGoodHummerMan
07-15-2007, 02:25 PM
I'd say that using it completely submerged would not be advisable. Warn says about the 9.5ti:

"RESISTS WATER: Extreme duty winch sealing system enables superior water resistance and features full-face contact drum seals, motor and end housing gaskets."

and...

"The new shape not only looks great, but sheds the elements like no other winch on the market: seals at the key points give extreme-duty water resistance."

These statements do not lead me to believe that I can use my winch UNDERWATER. Water resistance is not the same as water-proof? I discovered this factoid long ago when I went skuba diving for the first time.

If you are stuck and have no other choice --- you might decide to throw caution to the wind and try it --- but, the better way to recover your submerged H2 would be to use another vehicle's winch that isn't in the drink.

I'm not sure exactly, but I seem to remember that the maximum depth you are supposed to subject the H2 to is around 20 inches? My 9.5ti sits about 24 inches high... So, unless I have sunk it beyond the recommended depth --- the winch will work fine.

Notice in this picture that it is NOT actually below water:

http://baatz.org/ed/Warn.jpg

Of course, YMMV... :fdance: