PDA

View Full Version : Roof rack knob removal help!

prplprowlr
06-06-2007, 03:13 PM
Ok I have read the manual and it doesnt give you any information and I have loosened the knobs as far as I can so they just spin but they wont come off!!? I can feel a hook under the rack bar that seems to be on a lip but I have had absolute no luck on removing it! I bought chrome ones from Source Motors to replace the factory black ones and they came with no instructions on how to replace them either. I am sure it's something simple i am just overlooking but i need some help on this. Thanks

jmsspratlin
06-06-2007, 03:38 PM
Ok I have read the manual and it doesnt give you any information and I have loosened the knobs as far as I can so they just spin but they wont come off!!? I can feel a hook under the rack bar that seems to be on a lip but I have had absolute no luck on removing it! I bought chrome ones from Source Motors to replace the factory black ones and they came with no instructions on how to replace them either. I am sure it's something simple i am just overlooking but i need some help on this. Thanks

Are you selling the OEM ones? If so, PM me I might be interested if they are in good shape....Jamie

prplprowlr
06-06-2007, 04:53 PM
Well, i tried doing what some else said and I stripped one of the factory knobs! It now just spins in and wont tighten. So now my rack is sliding back and forth. Does anyone know how to remove the factory rack bar so I can get the knobs off? It was for taste of replacing with chrome however now I have to because i broke one. Any help would be much much apreciated and I searched the archives but found nothing

JohnnyRPM
06-06-2007, 04:58 PM
If I remember correctly the bars have to slide off at the rear of the truck. There's a trim piece/stop in each crossbar track at the rear of the truck by the rear marker lights. I think it's attached by a phillips head screw. Once the stops come off you can slide the bar off the back.

-John

prplprowlr
06-06-2007, 06:00 PM
Got it many many thanks!! I got them off and replaced with the chrome ones and the factory knobs are ok. I just didn't know what I was doing. Alot of work to change knobs that says 5 minute installation. It was a 30 minute job start to finish.

WHOSNEXT
06-06-2007, 07:57 PM
Got it many many thanks!! I got them off and replaced with the chrome ones and the factory knobs are ok. I just didn't know what I was doing. Alot of work to change knobs that says 5 minute installation. It was a 30 minute job start to finish.

so how did u do it?

Captain of the Titanic
06-06-2007, 11:47 PM
There's a plastic piece at the rear of the slide that has to be pried up with a screw driver. I swear I thought I was going to break the piece, I had to pry so hard. Once it's off, the slide right in/out.

I believe my five minute install took 45 minutes, because I drove down to the local dealership and asked "WTF?". So you did better then I!

prplprowlr
06-07-2007, 12:48 AM
so how did u do it?

I removed the plastic peices on the rear like others told me. I used a small flat screwdriver and pryed them out and loosened the wheels and they slid off very easyily. I removed the knobs and replaced with new ones and slid the bars back on. It is actually easy when you know what you are doing but the peices had me stumped at first because i didn't know they were able to come out.