PDA

View Full Version : AirAid Intake YUCK

ROX
01-07-2005, 02:38 PM
AirAid intake systems are way over-rated. They boast that they use incoming outside air, But the design allows heated air in from the engine compartment. If you tow any toys, this tends to heat the engine more than stock filter boxes. If you do any off-roading, water can find its way into the Air Aid Box. The stock air intake only allows outside air in thru the air intake hole and it's covered so water, mud and such can't get on the filter, unless you submerge your car. ( not recommended with any filter) One more thing, the Air Aid is VERY NOISY from too much vibration. Horsepower increase is not worth it, and it's not noticeable if you pull a trailer.
Try a new filter in the Stock box if you want. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

ROX
AirAid intake systems are way over-rated. They boast that they use incoming outside air, But the design allows heated air in from the engine compartment. If you tow any toys, this tends to heat the engine more than stock filter boxes. If you do any off-roading, water can find its way into the Air Aid Box. The stock air intake only allows outside air in thru the air intake hole and it's covered so water, mud and such can't get on the filter, unless you submerge your car. ( not recommended with any filter) One more thing, the Air Aid is VERY NOISY from too much vibration. Horsepower increase is not worth it, and it's not noticeable if you pull a trailer.
Try a new filter in the Stock box if you want. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

ROX

Mr. I - Man
01-07-2005, 02:50 PM
I just used the the stock air box w/ airaid filter to an airaid M.I.T. finshed off with a power aid throttle body spacer. The throttle body spacer makes a whistleing noise at W.O.T. I can feel a little bit of power gain but the MPG is what inpressed me the most 12.5 city and

Mr. I - Man
01-07-2005, 02:51 PM
between 13 and 14.7 hwy.

Fever
01-07-2005, 05:29 PM
I have not experienced any noise issues with mine. But I have enjoyed 12.5 to 14.5 mpg depending on city or highway. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Fubar
01-07-2005, 09:31 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by H2 Rocks:
Try a new filter in the Stock box if you want. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Look into the Volant intake system
http://www.volantperformance.com/pdetail.asp?ID=90

The box is sealed or at least has a lid to keep out hot air, dust, and other unwanted stuff. It also makes a nice seat when working on the engine. It uses the same type of filter as K&N or many other systems on the market.There is also no issue with clearing the fan with the intake tube as there is with some other systems. I have seen a 3mpg increase since installing mine went from 11.0 to 14 on the high way, some of the increase may have been from a combination of things like the headers and the Corsa exhaust.

Longhorn
01-08-2005, 12:20 AM
I have the Volant intake. Its a well made product but I didn't achieve any boost in mileage or noticeable performance.

I really think all the basic bolt on stuff is a waste of money. I'm saving for a supercharger. It actually produces real HP; not like the trumped up dyno figures all the intake, spacer, exhaust, companies claim. Honestly for all this stuff - $1500 you’d be lucky to pickup 20HP (most of which is only on tap above 3500 rpm).

Don’t believe the hype.

Fubar
01-08-2005, 03:50 AM
$1500 bucks? man were you raped if that is what you paid for the air intake. It sells for $299 with the mass air flow sensor being an additional $499.99 even if you had someone install it for you it'd be hard to reach the $1500 dollar range. Maybe I missunderstood and you are talking about a total outlay of cash for all the upgrades I've had done. You'd be pretty close if that were the case.

As others have mentioned in the forums the upgrades we do will never pay for them selves in gas saving or usable horse power gains. The supercharger being the exception if one is looking for more horse power. We do them because we can and on some level it makes us feel better about ourselfs and our rigs.
Have a great weekend.

ROX
01-09-2005, 07:32 PM
I wasn't impressed with the Air Aid because they said it allowed in more outside air. Of course, you order it off the internet and get something in the box that doesn't do what it said it would. After my first trip off-road the box and the filter were filled with sand, dirt, leaves, and lots of little pieces of sage brush. This is one of the reasons my engine ran hotter on the trip back. If you want an aftermarket intake, by all means get one. Hopefully, there's another company out there that wants your business, and it's products perform the way the company portrays it.

Longhorn
01-09-2005, 10:04 PM
Yes, I was referring to the mods in your sig line.

Exhaust + Intake + Headers = $1500 (maybe a little more). Actual HP increase: 20hp.

I agree with you, as long as it makes you happy, it was well worth the cost.

LasVegas
01-13-2005, 12:39 AM
I just installed the Airaid Jr kit (200-783). That's just the new modular intake tube and a replacement drop in filter in the oem box. I'm impressed. Noticable difference. Certainly not SC but noticable.

Mr. I - Man
01-13-2005, 02:24 PM
Thats because the OEM box get its air from out side.

DRTYFN
01-13-2005, 03:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fubar00:
It also makes a nice seat when working on the engine. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, if you're a leprechaun.http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

+3mpg? Did you change your driving habits any that would help contribute to that gain?
When I added a K&N Filtercharger to my '97 Tahoe I only saw an increase of 1.5-2 mpg.

Fubar
01-16-2005, 04:59 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DRTYFN:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fubar00:
It also makes a nice seat when working on the engine. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, if you're a leprechaun.http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

+3mpg? Did you change your driving habits any that would help contribute to that gain?
When I added a K&N Filtercharger to my '97 Tahoe I only saw an increase of 1.5-2 mpg. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well Drtyfn,
I am kind of small at 150lbs 5'9 maybe average I don't know. There is enough room for your knee on top of the filter box with one foot on the bumper sort of. I don't do a lot of work under the hood but was installing one of those (Tornado fuel things) in the air intake and the top of the Volant box was a nice resting place.

As for my driving habits no haven't really changed anything but I'm not a lead foot. On the frwy at 65-70 with level ground the average fuel reading is steady at 14mph the instant reading is bouncing around 15 to 17. I don't know if I trust the readings I should fill the tank and drive till the low fuel light comes on then fill back up and do the math to see what kind of actual mileage I'm getting but work has me pretty busy.