PDA

View Full Version : TROUBLE!!!!!!!!

jmsspratlin
07-03-2007, 04:27 AM
I recently purchased some wheels and tires for the H2 SUV. Upon my venture home, it began to wobble terribly at the range of 75+ mph. It got so bad, that I nearly lost total control, however I did wind up in the ditch. Luckily I was able to slow down enough to avoid a major accident, but I was scared nonetheless, plus I had my daughter with me. Upon returning home, I checked the pressue and wear, and all were fine. I am now a bit timid to take my family on the road, for fear that this may happen again. Has anyone had something similar happen, and if so, what was done to fix the proble. The wheels are 20" with Toyo MT on them. They stick out a little, but not too much. Also they create a pretty loud bit of road noise and make my mirros constantly vibrate. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.....Jamie

blockrockin
07-03-2007, 01:30 PM
they shouldnt do that... sounds like they arent blanced correctly.. i would take the h2 back to the place and have them rebalance them.. hope it works out for you. they are good tires...

jmsspratlin
07-03-2007, 01:44 PM
they shouldnt do that... sounds like they arent blanced correctly.. i would take the h2 back to the place and have them rebalance them.. hope it works out for you. they are good tires...

I think I'm going to take it to somewhere else besides the place I orginally had them mounted (due to the fact that it didn't get done right). Anyway, I'm calling around now to hopefully get this resolved b/c I love the set-up and don't want to go back to stock. Thanks.....Jamie

MattRoberts123
07-03-2007, 03:51 PM
My guess would be a bad balancing job. If you can, go to a good wheel and tire shop.. Lots of tire places still use poor balancing machines that cannot handle large tire sizes, but more importantly large wheel sizes.

Look for a HUNTER balancing machine... usually you can even get on the hunter website and they will tell you someone locally that uses the machines.

You will want to have them to a dynamic road force balance... If you can, stand around and see if they will let you watch them do it. Sometimes it can take over an hour to properly do all 4.. but once you ahve it done, you should be able to drive at any speed you want without ANY vibration...

the smallest amount of out of balance weight can cause major vibrations and problems the faster you go.

Hope this helps.

Matt

IRA51
07-03-2007, 05:52 PM
I would bring it right back to the place you bought them and tell them you want it fixed or a refund .that is total bull **** . to be as bad as you say you may have an out or round wheel . if they don't fix it call Toyo and have the Toyo rep look it over .Toyo makes a excellent tire and is choosey on who it makes a dealer. if that happened to me I would have made a U turn the same day and went back and said make it right or give me a refund . the longer you wait the less likely they will be to fix the problem .you paid for new tires and wheels and mounting and balanceing . :violin:

Boss Hoss
07-04-2007, 12:44 AM
Your best bet is Kellers. They have the best equipment in FWB.

jmsspratlin
07-04-2007, 01:29 AM
Your best bet is Kellers. They have the best equipment in FWB.

Thanks bro, will check them out as well....Jamie

trashguy
07-04-2007, 04:52 AM
see if your tire shop has hub rings for your truck,they fill the gap between your hub and the hub opening on the wheel .our bolt pattern is the same as 8 lug dodges and most custom wheels have larger center bores to fit the dodges,even though the lugs line the wheel up its the center that seats on the hub and one will always be a drop higher or lower than the other even though it isnt noticeable to the eye it will affect the shake in the wheel.ill only buy hubcentric wheels from now on.theres only a few for our trucks.try the hunter road force balancer it will definately help.

jmsspratlin
07-04-2007, 07:08 AM
I took it to a local tire center here and found that the whole set was out of balance. There were actually 2 of the wheels that I will have to send back to the manufacturer due to them being 5+ oz off (they are "suppose" to be right on the money without variation). Now, I'm out an additional $130 for the balancing and another probably $150-$200 for the mounting/shipping and remounting. I'm beginning to believe that this might have been a bad thing to get into to. Hopefully I get some resolution soon. :o

fisherman
07-04-2007, 02:03 PM
I had Goliath RIMS installed. When they took off the OEM RIMS they had approximately 19 ounces of lead on each RIM. This place was off the interstate a did an awesome 18 wheeler business in Elkhart, IN. After replacing the RIMS ,which was very professional, they put 200 count of sand in each wheel. I get "no " vibration or pull.A real smooth ride. You might want to look into something like I did.
The "fisherman"

OrangeCrush
07-04-2007, 02:56 PM
see if your tire shop has hub rings for your truck,they fill the gap between your hub and the hub opening on the wheel .our bolt pattern is the same as 8 lug dodges and most custom wheels have larger center bores to fit the dodges,even though the lugs line the wheel up its the center that seats on the hub and one will always be a drop higher or lower than the other even though it isnt noticeable to the eye it will affect the shake in the wheel.ill only buy hubcentric wheels from now on.theres only a few for our trucks.try the hunter road force balancer it will definately help.

Why would you need hub rings? Even if the hole in the wheel is larger than the hub, the lugnuts center the wheel on the rotor when they are pulled down on the studs.

IRA51
07-04-2007, 04:25 PM
HOW THE FU*K IS IT YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO PAY FOR ALL OF THIS WHEN YOU PURCHASED NEW TIRES AND WHEELS ? if the wheels are properly designed and manufactured than all you would need is a simple ballance. the 22's I had never needed any thing but a simple ballance. the plastic or aluminum rings are a bandaid for out of tollerance wheels and if you can get a refund on those wheels or get another brand you will will be better off in the long run .:twak:

KenP
07-04-2007, 04:27 PM
I would bring it right back to the place you bought them and tell them you want it fixed or a refund .that is total bull **** . to be as bad as you say you may have an out or round wheel . if they don't fix it call Toyo and have the Toyo rep look it over .Toyo makes a excellent tire and is choosey on who it makes a dealer. if that happened to me I would have made a U turn the same day and went back and said make it right or give me a refund . the longer you wait the less likely they will be to fix the problem .you paid for new tires and wheels and mounting and balanceing . :violin:X2 I'd have been freaking pissed!!!