PDA

View Full Version : Isuzu VehiCROSS

Hummer Aficionado_VT
07-09-2007, 05:11 PM
Who knows anything about this car? I think it looks really cool. There is one for sale at a local used car lot, and it is the first one I've ever seen.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not abandoning the Hummer ship. I just think that it looks really cool.

Can you even take it off-road? Any info would be great! Thanks!

Hummer Aficionado_VT
07-09-2007, 05:14 PM
Here are a couple of pics:

HummerHippy
07-09-2007, 05:38 PM
I heard some good things about their 4wd ability. But dont know how it stacks up against the hummer. I'm guessing hummer beats it everytime. I looked at these a bit a few years ago. THey only made 'em 3 years. Parts and service might get a little harder to find as the years go by. I think the ability to see out the rear view mirror might be worse than the H3. Not much room in them. I think basically a 2 seater. I like the look. But its starting to be a 6-7-8 year old truck. And something in my mind is telling me to buy a later one like the 2001. Perhaps some issue (electric? sorry cant remember), was addressed and fixed in the later model. Do a lot of google searches. Theres info out there.

Hummer Aficionado_VT
07-09-2007, 06:14 PM
The thing is definatley cool. I've been feverishly searching (indeed using google) and I found a forum, full of active users.

http://www.vehicross.info

I should probably get some good info there. Yeah, they are older (I guess they never took off...) But if you get think about it, parts shouldn't be too hard to come by, because it is an Isuzu after all. I drive a '96 Acura SLX (an Isuzu Trooper in a tuxedo, basically), and it has not only been very reliant, but repairs aren't awful at all, plus parts are still easy to come by.

I'm anxious to read on their forums how they do off road. It's definately a unique truck, that's for sure.

Mr. I - Man
07-09-2007, 06:57 PM
I had two of them before my H2. Some 31's on it and you have a pretty decent off-roader, because of it very short wheelbase. The AWD transmisson functions pretty close to the way the H2 does (except for the full locking rear diff) 40/60 Torque on Demand normal mode, 4 hi 50/50 and it has 4 low w/Limited slip diff . Comes stock w/remote res shocks. Can easliy lift it by flipping the front ball joints and put longer coils in back to fit 33's on it.

Hummer Aficionado_VT
07-09-2007, 07:36 PM
How was maintenance costs and all that? Was it a decent vehicle in your experiance, or did you hate them? I'm totally being OCD, but I love the thing! :fdance:

Mr. I - Man
07-09-2007, 09:39 PM
Great vehicle, only expensive maintence issue was getting trans flushed and the front wheel bearings repacked every 30k for about 600 or 700 dollars. Make sure that you compression check all of the cylinders and check for main bearing leaks. Some vehicross had engine failure due to the engine being put together wrong at the factory. If it has a new engine even better. Some also had some power window issues.

usetosellhummer
07-09-2007, 09:42 PM
Very small cockpit with the basics of a trooper under it. look good wheel good but not as stable in my opnion. border line gey

Hummer Aficionado_VT
07-10-2007, 02:49 AM
Meh. I still like it!

H3slate
07-10-2007, 03:48 AM
The front end looks like a snake head with fangs coming out of the grill. It's looks better than a lot of other fuglys.

H3slate
07-10-2007, 03:55 AM
OMG!! Here you go. a motor trend review!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoylQOpSC7k

some wheeling action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uw9xosQnaq4&mode=related&search=

stuck!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArH55DvhBa4&mode=related&search=

I don't share your taste in vehicles but do get OCD when I see something cool!! :D

Wisha Haddan H3
07-10-2007, 08:21 AM
No personal experience with the vehicross, but the specs look good. The 1st number is the vehicross, the 2nd is the 2007 H3 (automatic, adventure pkg).

Its biggest problem by the numbers is its weight. It manages a higher power to weight ratio than the H3, but lacks the H3's gearing advantage. Still should be lots of fun offroad tho.

Agility
Clearance - 8.5 in, 9.1 in
Approach Angle (deg) - 34, 39.4
Breakover Angle (deg) - 22, 25
Departure Angle (deg) - 30, 36.5
Turning Circle - 34 ft, 37 ft

Power
3.5L V6, 3.7L I5
215 HP @ 5400, 242 HP @ 5600
230 ft-lbs @ 3000, 242 ft-lbs @ 4600
Curb weight - 3955 lbs, 4700 lbs
Crawl ratio - 30.5:1, 56.2:1
Power to weight ratio - 5.4, 5.2
Torque to weight ratio - 5.8, 5.2

Hummer Aficionado_VT
07-10-2007, 03:59 PM
I don't share your taste in vehicles but do get OCD when I see something cool!! :D

Amen to that. I'm gonna pester my dad until he gives in. My mom likes it too, so I think thats a plus. The VX uses the same powerplant and shares many features that my mom's '96 Acura SLX (basically a trooper) has, so it would be a nice upgrade.

Oh man, I love this truck!

PS: I too am OCD!! :D

ChiHummer3
07-10-2007, 04:17 PM
I'm gonna pester my dad until he gives in. My mom likes it too, so I think thats a plus. The VX uses the same powerplant and shares many features that my mom's '96 Acura SLX (basically a trooper) has, so it would be a nice upgrade.

So you're driving an H2 and your Mom is driving a '96 Acura?? :confused: How'd that happen? Did your parents buy you the H2? Time for Mom to upgrade! ;)

Hummer Aficionado_VT
07-10-2007, 06:00 PM
Oh dear... :o

Nobody in my family has an H2 (or 1 or 3 for that matter...). I am purely a 17 year old enthusiast who is waiting for his chance to get his dream ride (the H2). The car in my avatar is me in front of an H2 when visiting family in Tulsa. I wish it was mine, but sadly, I must wait it out. :violin:

Anyhow, I was looking at the VX as a unique vehicle that would do decent off road as well as providing a more practical ride for a college-bound person such as myself, and most importantly at the moment, not costing 50 grand plus. :D

Hummer Aficionado_VT
07-10-2007, 06:08 PM
OMG!! Here you go. a motor trend review!!

Thanks for the links! The Motor Trend review was fun to watch. :fdance:

ChiHummer3
07-10-2007, 06:50 PM

Nobody in my family has an H2 (or 1 or 3 for that matter...). I am purely a 17 year old enthusiast who is waiting for his chance to get his dream ride (the H2). The car in my avatar is me in front of an H2 when visiting family in Tulsa. I wish it was mine, but sadly, I must wait it out. :violin:

Duh! I guess I assumed your avitar WAS YOUR RIDE. My bad! :o Hope ya get one soon though - there's really nothing else like it!

Hummer Aficionado_VT
07-10-2007, 08:12 PM
Duh! I guess I assumed your avitar WAS YOUR RIDE. My bad! :o Hope ya get one soon though - there's really nothing else like it!
Hmm. One can never assume too much! :p Thanks, I hope I get one soon too. (Lets see about after college...)

MarineHawk
07-14-2007, 04:40 AM

Nobody in my family has an H2 (or 1 or 3 for that matter...). I am purely a 17 year old enthusiast who is waiting for his chance to get his dream ride (the H2). ...

Simple solution - three words: grand theft auto. Problem solved. It's not really illegal if you don't get caught.

Mudd
07-15-2007, 07:40 PM
I almost bought one a few years ago.

I'm still a member of their forum: www.vehicross.info

Hummer Aficionado_VT
07-15-2007, 11:40 PM
Now don't tempt him into evil... :jump:

In a few months when you're ready for a vehicle, give me a call and I'll hook you guys up with something (Freelander, Disco, VehiCROSS, etc.). :beerchug:

Freelanders are particularly cheap at auction, they have a rocking HK sound system, and the two doors have that cool removable back end. Not the safest truck, but pretty cool!

Why thank you, good sir. If I do get it my way, I'll make sure to PM you to see if you can find something good for me!

Welcome back, by the way. You've been away for a while it seems!:p

Mr. I - Man
07-16-2007, 06:22 PM
I almost bought one a few years ago.

I'm still a member of their forum: www.vehicross.info (http://www.vehicross.info)

Me too.

wpage
07-16-2007, 11:49 PM
Joe Isuzu would be soo proud of this thread:fdance:

NEOCON1
07-17-2007, 12:32 AM
a few built-up ones have been in town . i think they look pretty cool . not sure if many were produced .

Hummer Aficionado_VT
07-17-2007, 03:12 AM
Less than 5000. They'll def be collectable.

Ground hawg
07-19-2007, 01:20 PM
Acctualy this vehicle was very much ahead of its time, It was designed in Chogo Japan and the leed engineer was Nishibori-san, a very well respected design engineer amoung the automotive industry, He was also the designer for the suspension system that took Issuzu to the leed in the rally cross for many years. This vehicle was not designed to off road like a Hummer. but just the same it is a very capable vehicle. It had a short production life but as you may see there are many companys that are now copying many of the design features.

Hummer Aficionado_VT
07-19-2007, 01:57 PM
Thanks. I have been extremely busy. I just haven't had much time to get on here. :( I am either working on the H1, developing products for the H1, working on my own dealer's license so I can work for myself, or fixing up a house for my family... Too many irons in the fire! :D

Well, its good to stay busy! That's great that your working on a dealer's license. Good luck with that! -And keep up the work on the H1, I love to see your progress in the H1 threads!

Hummer Aficionado_VT
07-19-2007, 01:57 PM
Acctualy this vehicle was very much ahead of its time, It was designed in Chogo Japan and the leed engineer was Nishibori-san, a very well respected design engineer amoung the automotive industry, He was also the designer for the suspension system that took Issuzu to the leed in the rally cross for many years. This vehicle was not designed to off road like a Hummer. but just the same it is a very capable vehicle. It had a short production life but as you may see there are many companys that are now copying many of the design features.

Thanks for the intro, that was very well worded. I'm liking this VX more and more each day!

Solitude
12-21-2007, 01:25 AM
Not sure where you are at in your search for a VX.. but cars.com always has one or 2..

the second picture.. all 4 wheels are touching the ground

Hummer Aficionado_VT
12-21-2007, 02:19 PM
I'll need something in about 6 months when I'm getting off to college. I think I'll be ready for something then.:)

DRTYFN
12-29-2007, 10:02 AM
It reminds me of this.

Hummer Aficionado_VT
12-31-2007, 09:01 PM
Haha, it is rather uncanny... :clapping: