PDA

View Full Version : Chrome vs Polished

Michael James
10-24-2004, 01:23 PM
Live in Ohio and the winter is coming up. I am not the type of person that would wash the salt off chrome wheels weekly (during the winter I wash the H2 about once a month) and we get a lot of salt. My understanding is that salt will pit chrome wheels. Is this something that the old chrome wheels did or do the new chrome ones do this too?

Also, what is the difference between chrome, chrome alloy, and chrome over alluminum wheels?

Wanting to go to 18"wheels. If the chrome is going to pit, I don't want them. what other choices do I have in polished alluminum and where to find them??

Michael James
Live in Ohio and the winter is coming up. I am not the type of person that would wash the salt off chrome wheels weekly (during the winter I wash the H2 about once a month) and we get a lot of salt. My understanding is that salt will pit chrome wheels. Is this something that the old chrome wheels did or do the new chrome ones do this too?

Also, what is the difference between chrome, chrome alloy, and chrome over alluminum wheels?

Wanting to go to 18"wheels. If the chrome is going to pit, I don't want them. what other choices do I have in polished alluminum and where to find them??

Michael James

CRUZMISL
10-24-2004, 01:35 PM
A polished aluminum with a clear coat would be your best option. Chrome will eventually pit but many of the better wheel makers have 5 year finish warranties........

partsguy
10-24-2004, 02:05 PM
Get a set of factory take off's for the winter time.Garage your good wheels (w/a coat of wax)
store in a dry place untill the ground hog comes
out.No matter what type off bling you have it
needs TLC.Polish,wax etc. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

HGW
10-24-2004, 02:19 PM
I have Weld Evo's---IMHO one of the best chrome wheels made (forged aluminum wheel--then chromed)--they have a five year waranty--BUT the waranty says something like regular care must be done.

They WILL pit in high salt areas regardless of the high quality---wash them often in winter OR better yet---put them away for the winter as was mentioned here.

Spike
10-25-2004, 12:31 AM
originally posted by partsguy,
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Get a set of factory take off's for the winter time.Garage your good wheels (w/a coat of wax)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I just took my chrome rims off for the winter and put my stock rims and tires back on. I gave the chrome rims a good cleaning front and back and waxed them and put them away in the garage. I have a trolly jack, air impact wrench and compressor, makes the whole switch over a breeze. I will probably keep the stock rims on until the end of March.