PDA

View Full Version : 4x2 conversion?

jrs2005
09-15-2007, 04:25 AM
Back in the Day when I owned my first chevy blazer we used to buy a doug nash 4x2 conversion kit and make the normally fulltime 4x4 a 2 wheel drive vehicle when in the normal 4hi position on the transfer case. Helped a lot with gas mileage. Does anyone make a conversion for the H2? Just curious.

dkhummerh2
09-17-2007, 01:57 AM
I don't know, I will keep watching this thread though to see where this goes. What year do you have?
dk

jrs2005
09-17-2007, 05:17 PM
2005 suv

johndjmix1
09-17-2007, 08:19 PM
I think this was discussed in the past and, although we all agree it would save a bit of milage, it wouldnt make that much of a difference. The main attributes that give the H2 poor milage is the boxy design, 35 inch tires, high ground clearance, and heavy weight.

Yes, it would make a difference.....but the most difference (At least in my opinion) would be to lower the truck, put some small street-tread tires on it (and change gearing). Would I ever do this? NOPE. But would it get better milage....almost certainly.

I have done a 1 month test, and by just driving slower and gentler you can get 16-17 mpg on the H2......I posted the results of my test a while ago. All it really involves is taking off very slowly, keeping rpms under 2k, and never going over 55mph. But once again, i cant do it now that gas is under $3/gal.

--John

--John

obzidian
09-17-2007, 09:38 PM
this is something i would like to do as well...

I had the number to a company that advertised a HD transfer case that was also selectable.

dkhummerh2
09-18-2007, 02:53 PM
I agree! Your gearing hurts the mpg alot. You should consider a programmer. Reasearch one that allows you to change to an economy mode. This would probably help just as much as the transfer case fix, but would cost alot less and you would retain your performance.
thanks
dk