PDA

View Full Version : Eclipse AVN30D / Ipod Connection

Mancil
03-31-2006, 12:32 PM
I did a few searches and couldn't find anything on this topic.

My new hummer can with the Eclipse avn30d and I was wonder if anyone have found a Ipod adaptor for it?

Thanks!

Mancil
03-31-2006, 04:40 PM
Come on peeps, someone has to have an idea

Agriv8r
03-31-2006, 05:33 PM
Called our installer, and he says there is not an adapter he is aware of, but will research it for me.

Mancil
03-31-2006, 06:08 PM
thanks a bunch, if you get any new info please PM me.

Thanks

fourfourto
03-31-2006, 08:16 PM
I have the same unit.I dont have a Ipod .,but was told by installer it can be hooked up.
I thoght someone here hooked one up to a eclipse.
Did you check online manual.avn30d manual (http://www.eclipse-web.com/avn30d-manual/)

kennyosemite
04-01-2006, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Mancil:
I did a few searches and couldn't find anything on this topic.

My new hummer can with the Eclipse avn30d and I was wonder if anyone have found a Ipod adaptor for it?

Thanks!

Did the truck come from Shreveport with the Eclipse NAV? Or did the dealer swap out the unit for you after he took delivery? I was under the impression the factory NAV unit was a Delphi (GM component brand for decades).

Rick
04-01-2006, 09:15 PM
On the installation guide it shows places where the iPod can be hooked up. Of course none of them state, "Hook up iPod to these wires!"... I'm sure we can do this. I'd like to do this too. I have an iPod with 10k songs I need to hook up. The iTrip just doesn't cut it.

When I have time I will play around with this. It may take me a week or so to look at it.

Mancil
04-03-2006, 04:29 PM
The dealer installed this unit for me from their stock of eclise systems

Mancil
04-03-2006, 05:18 PM
Finally, here is what we have been looking for.

Eclipse iPod Interface Adapter (IPC106) (http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productDetail.do?oid=144556&com.broadvision.session.new=Yes&context=99992519&BV_SessionID=@@@@1943659241.1144091704@@@@&BV_EngineID=cccfaddhhdiimkfcfngcfkmdffhdfgo.0)

Mancil
04-03-2006, 11:33 PM
Never mind---- the ICP106 WILL NOT WORK. I bought one tonight and it dosen't fit

Mancil
04-04-2006, 11:40 AM
It might work, I have it playing now but I can't do anything else. I think it has something to do with the wiring but I can't find anything on the internet. I'll keep everyone up to date

Mancil
04-04-2006, 02:48 PM
SUCSESS!!!!!

Here are my mental notes for anyone that tries this combo.

1. You must have the Sirius module with your system.
2. Unhook Sirius and just use the 13pin round cable that goes into the Eclipse changer port.
3. CHANGE your switches on the ICP-106 (WHILE THE POWER IS NOT CONNECTED) then plug in the power and you should have the CH1 button and be good to go.

Now if anyone figures out how to get it to show as a Sirius connection with song titles please tell me. I have yet to figure that out.

Good luck..... Damn the ipod sounds good in a hummer!

k9tim
04-04-2006, 04:01 PM
Mine will show song, album, and track titles once you hit the "title" button.
What it won't do is display the playlist name on the screen where you can go backwards and forwards thru selections.

You have Sirius 1 thru 4 Search modes

1= playlist search
2= artist search
3= album search
4= song search

Since I get no text display on the actual search screen (where you would select to play a specific playlist, artist, album, or song) picking one of these things is a drag.

In other words, if I am in Sirius2 (artist) search, and I want to listen to a band that starts with the letter M, I have to just keep advancing the artist till I hear the right band. No text display.
With like 300 different artists on my iPod, this takes forever.
The only way I have found to work around this is to create several playlists. All, Rock, Mood, etc etc...
I put the Eclipse into Sirius 1. I know the first playlist is All, so if I want to hear Rock, I advance to the next playlist or for Mood I advance it twice to get to playlist #3.

It *is* a pain in the ass but unless eclipse updates the firmware in the NAV/Stereo, it's the only way I have found to make things semi-easy to deal with.

If any of that makes sense....

Mancil
04-05-2006, 12:41 PM
My problem is I can get the Ipod to show up on the stereo with the Sirius Button. I can only get it to show up as CHG1

From what I understand it much show up as the Sirius button before I can get any text.

Correct?

Rick
04-05-2006, 11:58 PM
Any more news on this? I want to get an ipod controller for my Eclipse NAV (30D)... As someone else said... The iTrip just isn't cutting it.

I've studied the instal manual so I know it can be done. BUT... I'd like the functionality that the they say the IPC106 has.

Mancil
04-06-2006, 10:55 AM
Ok, last night was the night. I have the IPC working 100%. It is showing up as Sirius, I see Art. Name, Song Title, and Album name. It works, and sounds freaking great.

This will work with the Eclipse NAV30D.....

Good luck all, let me know if anyone has questions

k9tim
04-06-2006, 04:33 PM
it does sound great doesnt it?

I was very happy with the sound output. Now if you could get the ipod adapter to handle video out of the iPod videos- now that would be sweet!

Rick
04-07-2006, 12:33 AM
Mancil... I had my AVN30D installed by the dealer. I just bought the IPC106 from Circuit City today. The directions (or lack there of) are kind of confusing. Is there any way you could post pics of the wire connections? The thing I am most curious about is the LAN connection. Does the LAN 1 connection just plug into the back of the head unit? OR... Is there a wire that plugs into the back that has an adapter attached? Somewhere I read that you shouldn't plug the LAN 1 straight into the back of the unit. The directions show that it plugs into an adapter that plugs into the back of the unit.

I'm so confused... But the good news is.. I just wired my rear view camera tonight!!! (BEC105) It works great.. I've been driving in reverse all night! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Rick
04-07-2006, 12:18 PM
Okay... I've been loking at the install manual again. It looks like I need a different type of connector to attach the IPC106. In the manual it shows that to install a CD changer you need a different plug into the back of the head unit. Mancil... Is that what you did? I'd like to get this installed this weekend.

The Green Lantern
04-07-2006, 12:35 PM
check these - soundgate (http://store.yahoo.com/logjam/soundauxgm.html)

blitzsafe (http://store.yahoo.com/logjam/blitzuii.html)

Rick
04-07-2006, 05:28 PM
Thanks... But those look like they are for factory radios... Not the AVN30D. (Though they probably could be modified.) I was looking for a plug and play application.

Rick
04-08-2006, 10:55 AM
Anyone... Anyone... Mancil???

k9tim
04-08-2006, 12:15 PM
I can't say for sure and I dont have my manuals handy but I thought that you went from LAN1 on the 106 to the head unit.

I don't remember Kodiakz saying anything about a special connector/cable outside of what came with the 106.

Rick
04-08-2006, 12:52 PM
I'll have to pull the unit back out this afternoon to check. I don't remember seeing a spot for it though. In the manual for the IPC106 it says to plug it in to the spot for either the Sirrus or CD connection. In the manual for the AVN30D it shows that, to hook up a CD changer, you need a different wiring harness to accept it.

I know I can fabricate something. But without having the pinout diagram I'd be afraid of shorting something out.

Rick
04-09-2006, 12:58 PM
After rereading Mancil's post... It states that you MUST have the Sirius plug-in... I don't... So this is what I need to get.

Mancil
04-10-2006, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Rick:
Okay... I've been loking at the install manual again. It looks like I need a different type of connector to attach the IPC106. In the manual it shows that to install a CD changer you need a different plug into the back of the head unit. Mancil... Is that what you did? I'd like to get this installed this weekend.

I have mine pluged into LAN1-- but remember you need to have the Sirius Connection Cable. It is the round cable that your Sirius connects into.

Rick if you would like PM me and I'll give you my Cell we can talk about what you need to get it working

Mancil
04-10-2006, 03:10 PM
The Sirius Mod comes with a cable that goes from the square connector on the back of the AVN30d and converts it to a round 13pin connector. From that point you connect the Ipod mod into that cable and use the switchs on the mod to choose Sirius Setup or CD Changer Setup

Rick
04-10-2006, 06:53 PM
Mancil... Thanks for the help. I think I figured out that I need the new Sirius harness. I think I can get it from the dealer. If not... Where else can I get it? Also... The manual says, "If installing a CD changer (and I assume Sirius), replace the cord with the one that is sold separately." Does this cord also have the other wires that I need? Blue/white to ACC - Purple/white to vehicle speed pulse - red/white to parking brake (or ground) - green to reverse signal - the jack to go to the rear monitors? I don't want to give up the future monitors that I may put in the headrests.

Mancil.. I really appreciate your help.

Rick

Rick
04-11-2006, 07:27 PM
I just got off the phone with the installer for the dealership where I bought my Hummer. I stopped by there today to have them install my remote start/alarm. I asked them for the iPod connector/harness. They gave me one but it looked like the wrong type. This one had the RCA connectors on it with no place to plug in the iPC106. I called the dealer to let them know that they gave me the wrong one. They called back to give me the name & number of the installer. I called him and talked at length about what I wanted versus what they gave me. He said that the connector they gave me (part# CRD-2 VTR cable for the AVN30D) was the only one they used. I told him I had the iPC106... He said that they are being RECALLED! He said they have a propensity to lock up the AVN30D. (Something I've read on the Internet!) He said that they are trying to come up with a software fix for the problem. I told him that they are still selling the iPC106 at Circuit City. He said that Eclipse wrote them asking for all of them back. I assume that a recall will soon follow at Circuit City too. SO... He said that he would find me a harness to use with the iPC106 if I want. He said that the harness was a little more expensive than the one I have. (The dealer was supposed to charge me $50 but the salesman gave it to me.)

He is supposed to call me back on Thursday some time. I'll keep you posted as to how it all works out. In the meantime... I'll probably use the harness they gave me. They only problem is that it doesn't charge the iPod and the info doesn't show up on the screen. (I don't think...)

Mancil
04-12-2006, 10:54 AM
All I can tell you is that I haven't had any lockup problems with mine.

If I have some time this weekend I will take a photo of the wire harness that I have

k9tim
04-12-2006, 03:26 PM
Maybe if they do issue a recall they can update the software to display all the text info!

That would be really nice! Even nicer if they just have a firmware update that can be done from an installers laptop!

Rick
04-12-2006, 08:25 PM
k9tim... What version software do you have? I think mine is ver. 1.2. The installer did say that if you have continued problems... The installer can try to update the firmware. That is included on the next DVD that is out. I'm not sure what version they are up to but I think there is a newer firmware out there.

He's supposed to call me tomorrow with more info. I still want to use the iPC106 if I can. I don;t want to have to plug into the top. Plus... I'd like to be able to keep it charged as I use it.

Mancil
04-13-2006, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by k9tim:
Maybe if they do issue a recall they can update the software to display all the text info!

That would be really nice! Even nicer if they just have a firmware update that can be done from an installers laptop!

Not sure why you are having a problem, as long as you have the switchs set right you should see Art/ Alb/ and song title

Rick
04-15-2006, 10:51 AM
Mancil... How do you have your switches set? I fired this all up last night. I could play a song only if I started the song playing on the iPod first... and then hooked it up. I have no control over the iPod... The iPod just shows "ECLIPSE - DISCONNECT AT ANY TIME" and the head unit doesn't show anything. I was expecting to see a Sirius icon appear on the screen. I think I have switch one set to B and switch 2 set to A.

I'll be working on it more today...

k9tim
04-15-2006, 02:07 PM
@Rick- I have no idea what software version I have but remember I am using a 50d, not the 30d...

@Mancil- I can see the artist, album, and song title from the title info screen. no problem.

What I would like is on the main Sirius screen to be able to see the playlist, artist, album or song text while searching.

IOW, I go to Sirius1 and use Forward to select a playlist. The first playlist is "All" the second playlist is "Rock" etc etc. The only way I know what playlist the 50d is playing is because I count how many times I hit Forward. The 50d does not display the playlist name. When I get to the right playlist, I hit the Title Screen button and then the 50d will display the text. But until I do that, I am flying blind on my selections.

It may be different on the 50d than it is on the 30d. Dunno.....

Rick
04-15-2006, 04:30 PM
HELP!!!!!

I thought I had my problem fixed... I read the manual and it said to connect it in the Sirius mode setting the switches to B & A... Then I saw the yellow correction paper in the box. It said the correct settings were A & B. So I took everything apart and set it that way. With the first settings I could only play music off the iPod if I started the song first and then hooked it up. With the new settings... I get the Sirius button that shows up... But I can only see the song title... Not the whole list of songs to choose from. When I hit the "BAND" button... It just cycles through Sirius1, Sirius2, Sirius3, Sirius4, etc... It seems to only replay the same 6 or 7 songs... I can't get a different song unless I push the "random" button.

Help!!! Please tell me what your settings are.

Just so you know... I have the iPod going into the iPC106 then it plugs into the harness made for Sirius/CD changer. Am I missing something here? You said that you have the Sirius "module"... Do I need something else?

Please let me know as soon as you can... This is driving me crazy!

EDIT - k9tim... Sounds like you have the sdame issues as me. If I can't get this working... I will just switch over to the other iPod connector where you use the iPod to do the search and it plays it through the head unit. I have to be able to see my lists to choose songs. I have almost 8000 songs... To try to remember where my songs are can't be done! I guess I could devise playlists... But that defeats the whole purpose of having this!

k9tim
04-15-2006, 09:14 PM
Rick-

You are now in the same boat I am.

It is kind of maddening isnt it?! Sounds like you have the option of either having control from the head unit and no text display to select a particular artist, or do all your selections from the iPod itself then plug it in to the adapter.

It's a toss up. I have my adapter cable going to my glove box, so I can stash the iPod in there to keep it out of the sun, off the seat and out of the cupholder.

Thats why I am hoping a software update for the iPod adapter becomes a reality at some point.
Making a new playlist everytime I think I might want to hear a particular artist (then deleting old playlists so I dont have a thousand of them) and counting while I advance at the Sirius1 screen kinda blows......

I only have just over 1300 songs on my iPod. With 8000 like you have, I think I would try to figure out a way to use a L+R audio input and forget trying to control the iPod from the 30d. The convenience of the adapter would just not be there anymore.

Maybe I will call Eclipse this week and ask what can be done (if anything). They *have* to know about the problem and it is correctable. After all, the text display we need is just data that is being mishandled by either the head unit or the adapter. The data is there from the iPod same as it is from the Sirius module when it is installed.

Rick
04-15-2006, 11:44 PM
Tim,

I'm still waiting to hear back from Mancil. It sounds like he solved the problem. He posted this in an earlier post on page one...

"Ok, last night was the night. I have the IPC working 100%. It is showing up as Sirius, I see Art. Name, Song Title, and Album name. It works, and sounds freaking great.

This will work with the Eclipse NAV30D....."

BUT... He doesn't say what he did to fix everything. He has posted a few nuggets of info both in the forum and by PM to me... But I have done the same thing he did (as far as I know) and I'm in the same boat as you. I think it has to do with the switch settings. Have you tried every combination? If Mancil doesn't post tonight... I'll play around more with switch settings tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks for the input and have a Happy Easter!

k9tim
04-16-2006, 02:46 AM
Rick I think he is at the same spot we are. Or at least I am. If I go to my title screen (pressing the title button on the Sirius1, Sirius2, etc, etc screen) I ge the same info he is talking about. My problem is that on the band select screen (Sirius1, Sirius2, Sirius3, Sirius4) I get no text display to show what playlist or whatever I have selected.

Maybe I should take a few pics to show what I'm talking about. I am starting to think we are discussing two different things here. In any case it is crazy- we should be able to see all the text info...

screw it. I'm gonna go out right now and take pics to post. this is just stupid...

Surely we are just missing something. then again.....

Rick
04-16-2006, 03:00 AM
Tim... I thought he said he could even see the album art too... I can't see that.

Rick
04-16-2006, 03:36 AM
I was just browsing the web... Searching for a solution and ran across this on Crutchfield's site....

Features of the Eclipse iPC106

Overview: This adapter allows an iPod portable digital music player with a dock connector to be hooked up to and controlled by 2002 or later Eclipse head units that support E-LAN. All the iPod's buttons will be disabled when connected to this adapter and the iPod will be controlled from the receiver.

Controls: The CD7000, CD5000, CD4000, and CD3000 support iPod controller mode, allowing almost all of the iPod's functions to be operated from the main unit. While connected, the head unit will power the iPod, and charge the iPod's battery. You can perform playlist, album, artist, genre, or song searches. Playback functions include track up/down, fast forward/rewind, track repeat, track random play, and album random play. Display selections include song, album, or artist. If the main unit does not support iPod controller mode, you will have limited control of the iPod, including music advance, repeat play, random play, and text display. On these units, the iPod must be controlled in Changer or SIRIUS mode. Models that have limited iPod control include the following:

06 Models
AVN6600
AVN5500
AVN50D
AVN20D
CD2000

05 Models
AVN7000
AVN5495
AVN5435
AVN30D
AVX5000
CD8455
CD8445
CD5435
CD5425
CD5415

04 Models
AVN2454
AVX2494
AVX2404
CD8454
CD5444
CD3434
CD3424

03 Models
AV8533
AV3423
CD8053
CD8443
CD5433
CD5423
CD3413

02 Models
AV8132
AV8022
AV8012
CD8062
CD8052
CD5442
CD3432
CD3422

It looks like I'll be installing the other harness... This isn't going to work with the iPC106 as the adapter the way I want with full control.

k9tim
04-16-2006, 03:57 AM
well here is what I see:

the iPod with the eclipse plugged in:

http://www.k9tim.com/images/1.jpg

The "Search" or "Sirius" screen
http://www.k9tim.com/images/2.jpg

The "Title" screen :

http://www.k9tim.com/images/3.jpg

there ya go. If you can come up with a solution, let me know. As for now, I'm counting playlists... blah.

Rick
04-16-2006, 04:05 AM
Yup... Mine is exactly the same way... This will NOT work for me... I'll swap in the other adapter tomorrow and return the iPC106 to Circuit City. This REALLY bums me out...

Tim... BTW... Thanks for posting the pics!

kodiakz
04-16-2006, 03:38 PM
Unitil Eclipse decides to release software updates for the 30d or 50d, the ipc106 is as good as it gets right now unfortunately. I have spoken to their techs NUMEROUS times about some of the difficulties we are experiencing with the inteface. While the 106 is the best solution currently available for the eclipse units, it certainly leaves a lot to be desired--especially if there is also a sirius tuner in the system. I feel that they rushed this piece out as a bandaid to address all the calls for ipod integration. On each occasion that I ahve spoken with the techs, I asked if there was going to be a software update for the older radios or perhaps the release of a newer adaptor that was designed to function more robustly but they have absolutely no idea. I will definitley keep you guys updated if anything better comes along.

Rick, you could use a Blitzsafe UII universal adaptor and run rca inputs into the VTR input on the 30d. You won't have any text, but you will be able to run the audio directly into the head and charge the ipod at the same time. With that many songs on your ipod, it may well be easier to just use its own controls to quickly navigate your songs and playlists.

Mancil
04-17-2006, 11:45 AM
Did you make sure the power to the ipc was not connected when you chanced the switches? I had to unplug my ipc for about a min change with switch settings then plug it back in.

after that mine worked

Mancil
04-17-2006, 11:51 AM
from all the research I have done you CAN'T get the av30 to show you all the songs. What you see in the phots above is the best you are going to get.

Mancil
04-17-2006, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by k9tim:
well here is what I see:

the iPod with the eclipse plugged in:

http://www.k9tim.com/images/1.jpg

The "Search" or "Sirius" screen
http://www.k9tim.com/images/2.jpg

The "Title" screen :

http://www.k9tim.com/images/3.jpg

there ya go. If you can come up with a solution, let me know. As for now, I'm counting playlists... blah.

No point in returning it, if it's playing and showing you the song title you have all the funtions that the av30d can give you. It says right in the instrustion that this is the best you will get.

k9tim
04-17-2006, 03:48 PM
All I know is that I have been driving my car the last few days and holy crap do I miss my Eclipse/iPod combo.......

Text or no text.