PDA

View Full Version : H3 Build Quality?

S2KtoH3
05-26-2005, 05:59 PM
Hi everyone. I am really interested in getting a new H3. I love everything about it(except maybe the engine power). I was really happy to hear initial reports regarding build quality to be very positive. I guess my only concern that remains is future build quality. From what I understand, the plant is currently building 300 H3's per day. By mid-summer that number is expected to rise to 450. Should I be expecting a drop in quality with the increased output? I only ask because I won't be ready to purchase until sometime towards the end of the year. The H3 is the only SUV in this price range that I would even consider buying. I've been driving sports cars all my life so going to an H3 is going to be a drastic move for me. Additionally, this is the first American car I have ever considered for purchase. I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

S2KtoH3
05-26-2005, 05:59 PM
Hi everyone. I am really interested in getting a new H3. I love everything about it(except maybe the engine power). I was really happy to hear initial reports regarding build quality to be very positive. I guess my only concern that remains is future build quality. From what I understand, the plant is currently building 300 H3's per day. By mid-summer that number is expected to rise to 450. Should I be expecting a drop in quality with the increased output? I only ask because I won't be ready to purchase until sometime towards the end of the year. The H3 is the only SUV in this price range that I would even consider buying. I've been driving sports cars all my life so going to an H3 is going to be a drastic move for me. Additionally, this is the first American car I have ever considered for purchase. I'd appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

H3 Builder
05-27-2005, 02:30 AM
When any new vehicle comes out, assembly is watched very closely as there are usually problems associated with the build. But we always strive to build quality. After you get further into the build, you get rid of your earilier issues. You always strive do get better. But with any mass produced product, unfortunately you can have problems. If you have noticed lately, even Toyota has had recalls. Our goals always get higher and higher. The quality should only get better and better as everyone gets better and better assembling H3's. As far as this would be your first American auto, we welcome you to see for yourself the quality that Americans put now put into GM vehicles. Hummer expects a certain level of quality in their products and Ibelieve we are getting there. There was a lot of training operators to learn the process. And I think it is paying off as you have heard from some of the ones that have gotten an H3 so far.

S2KtoH3
05-27-2005, 03:33 AM
H3 Builder,

Thank you for the informative reply. In addition to hearing positive quality reports from new owners, I saw the dramatic improvement in the JD Powers survey for Hummer. I believe last year Hummer was dead last. However the latest reports showed a remarkable improvment.

Yes, this would be my first American car. It's kind of a big deal for me because if you would have asked me last week, I wouldn't have bought an American car if my life depended on it. I drive an S2000 right now. Build quality wise, not many mass-produced cars can equal the S2000 due to the fact that it's assembled by hand. So thats one of the main reasons why I cherish build quality so much. However, I'm an avid snowboarder and after driving the S2000 in the snow this winter, I knew I had to get a new car if I wanted to continue my passion. Borrowing my friends SUV or only being able to go when my friends would go snowboarding just wasn't cutting it for me. I wasn't getting nearly enough days on the mountain just because of the fact I didn't have the proper car. Until the H3, there was NO other SUV in the same price range that I wanted. I was eventually going to purchase a new 6sp Acura TL. I figured that the FWD would be enough to get me through the snow, it looks and performs great and the tech-toys are off the hook. But when I saw the H3 and it's starting price, I did a complete 180. I'm really looking forward to my purchase. Can't wait to hear what my friends reactions are gonna be though lol.

funpilot
05-27-2005, 12:38 PM
H3Builder. I have seen a number of people on other sites comment that they too are buying th H3 as their first (or its been a long time) American car. That means the H3 meets their needs for aggressive styling and what ever else beeps their horn. Initial quality will be very important to them. I am one of this new group.

So, the good news is GM is attracting customers it never had before. The bad news is that if this group is disappointed, they will tell the world and GM will see dramatic drop in future sales. To manage this potential problem, all GM has to do is not fight the initial customers on any build issues that are part of the initial learning curve. I hope you will share this with your managers.

H3wannabe
05-27-2005, 02:02 PM
Put me down for another buyer that hasn't bought a car from a US company in 18 years (since my Camaro in high school!). Going back to post college days I have owned a Toyota Supra, Nissan 300zx, Nissan Pathfinder, and (2) Audi A4's. From what I have seen so far of the H3, I don't think I will be disappointed.

Kudos to Hummer engineers for designing a desireable vehicle and to the builders that are putting them together! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

And I also like the assurance of the 5-year 50,000 mile warranty too. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

H3wannabe

funpilot
05-27-2005, 03:00 PM
I thought it was a 4 year warranty.....

H3wannabe
05-27-2005, 04:10 PM
My bad! It is 4 years or 50,000.