PDA

View Full Version : fuel e85?

DH22G
04-23-2006, 07:07 PM
Can my Escalade EXT 2004 run on E85 fuel or my H2??? My friends explorer can so I was jsut curious if mine can too.

dochummer
04-24-2006, 12:56 AM
h2 can't according to the manual. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Aubs
04-24-2006, 01:29 AM
You would probably destroy the vehicle, not to mention the engine.

Gas engines not modified for E85 are not able to monitor the ratio of Ethanol to Gasolene and adjust the fuel feed accordingly. So my guess is that the engine would misfire horribly....

And no, modifying a gas engine to burn E85 is not cost effective.

dochummer
04-24-2006, 03:00 AM
http://www.abcesso.com/

DH22G
04-24-2006, 04:58 AM
so it is possible to easily modify my escalade to use e85? that site doesnt really tell me how $ it would be? it would be nice to be able to use gas and e85

dochummer
04-24-2006, 08:54 AM
From what I understand, and I've never used it before, but the box will help the vehicle run the ethanol more efficiently. The only modifications to the vehicle would be some fuel tubing, seals etc... that may not withstand the ethanol from breaking it down. But, I've also read that since the 90's, most vehicles should be able to run it with little problem. I doubt the vehicle would be destroyed, or the engine for that matter. But again, I've never tried. Through what I read, it pretty much sounded like their shouldn't be any problems....

Aubs
04-24-2006, 11:04 AM
You will most likely not effect any cost savings IMO because:
1. The alternative fuels market is in growing demand;
2. Aftermarket conversions are therefore probably highly demanded as well;
3. Ethanol is currently needed to replace MTBE as a clean-air additive, so the demand for Ethanol has skyrocketed.

Even if your engine runs ok, your emissions will increase horribly, my guess is from incomplete combustion.

Also ABCesso doesn't list HUMMER as a compatible brand, and I couldn't find the Escalde.

You're probably better off just buying a new Escalade that runs on E85, because the following sounds like a pain in the rectum.

The following is a description of the EPA certification procedure for any gas to alternative fuel conversion:

EPA now certifies converted vehicles, rather than conversion systems or "kits." Typically, EPA refers to a fuels converter (the certificate holder), as a "small volume manufacturer." An individual or entity that wishes to have a vehicle converted to operate on an alternative fuel must do so through a company or organization associated with a certificate holder. Examples of types of companies or organizations that hold Certificates of Conformity issued by EPA include the designer of the conversion equipment, the producer or manufacturer of the equipment, and the person or entity that plans to perform installations. It is the responsibility of the certificate holder to ensure that the equipment is properly installed and that the system is safe, durable, and results in the vehicle meeting the emission standards of the original model year of the vehicle.

Certificates of Conformity for "aftermarket" conversions (conversions on vehicles that are owned by an individual, company, or organization rather than the OEM) are signed by EPA and certify that the appropriate sections of the Code of Federal Regulations (40 CFR Parts 85 through 88) have been met. Certificates indicate the following:

The original test group of vehicles as determined and provided by the OEM. Engine families (since the 2001 model year, light-duty vehicle engine families are known as "test groups") are a subset of vehicles that the OEM certifies and have certain common operating characteristics in terms of emissions control systems. There are many different test groups; for example, the Ford F-150 could have 10 or more test groups, depending on the engine size, gross vehicle weight, and drive train of the vehicle.
The evaporative emissions family.
The state(s) in which the test group is certified (e.g. California vs. 50 state sales areas).
The "car line." For example, "F-150, 2 wheel drive, extended cab, 5.4 Liter engine."
The model year of the vehicles included in the test group.
The emissions standards that are met.
An aftermarket conversion may only be performed on a vehicle if a Certificate of Conformity or a CARB certification has been issued for that vehicle's particular model year and exhaust and evaporative emissions test groups.

For aftermarket AFV conversions, potential certificate holders must complete an application and submit emissions test data to EPA. Each year, certificate holders must file a new application to renew their certificates for a test group of a specific model year, but they do not need to submit new test data in order to renew. For example, for the conversion of a model year 2003 vehicle, EPA can issue a 2004 model year certificate (enabling the certificate holder to convert that model year 2003 vehicle test group through the end of 2004 calendar year) or a 2005 model year certificate (enabling the certificate holder to convert that model year 2003 vehicle through the end of 2005 calendar year). The certificate holder could later apply for a 2006 model year certificate, once EPA begins issuing those certificates (enabling the certificate holder to convert that model year 2003 vehicle test group through end of 2006 calendar year). The certificates are valid through December 31 of each certification year.

EPA Conversions Handbook (http://www.eere.energy.gov/afdc/pdfs/conguide.pdf)

bucks
04-25-2006, 09:33 AM
Can you tell me what e85 is? Is it straight Ethenol? Here in Houston we now have to use a mixture of gas and 10% Ethanol, all of the local stations have this. Is there a problim using this 10% in the Hummers?

Aubs
04-25-2006, 11:15 AM
E85 is a 85% Ethanol/15% Gasolene mix. What you see is E10 or 10% Ethanol, which is perfectly acceptable to your engine. It might lower your economy slightly, but it burns cleaner. I think I used up to E15 in our H3 on a trip out West, and obviously there are no ill-effects. E85 is too rich however. I suspect it's like a 95 octane equivalent, since most E10 mixes I've seen are only 89.

Taggart
05-02-2006, 05:04 PM
Hi Guys , i have been reading some of your note s, useing Ethanol etc , Now we have here in Europe LPG , now i understand its a big no in the US , okay LPG works out about 0.90$ a litre normal fuel 95 is 4.50$ a gallon , in the United Kingdom 8$ a gallon yeah i know **** it is high so my point Ehtanol is cheap here can my H2 be converted whats the approx cost in $ , as you can see its good value for me, Yes i know LPG is good i can get that done, but jesus the tanks in the back, take up all the space .

Okay

Cheers Grant

Aubs
05-02-2006, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Taggart:
Hi Guys , i have been reading some of your note s, useing Ethanol etc , Now we have here in Europe LPG , now i understand its a big no in the US , okay LPG works out about 0.90$ a litre normal fuel 95 is 4.50$ a gallon , in the United Kingdom 8$ a gallon yeah i know **** it is high so my point Ehtanol is cheap here can my H2 be converted whats the approx cost in $ , as you can see its good value for me, Yes i know LPG is good i can get that done, but jesus the tanks in the back, take up all the space .

Okay

Cheers Grant

I understand LPG is expensive for home useage, so I imagine it's worse to be filling your car on it, but I don't know. It's also bulky like you said.

The conversion to E85 takes the aforementioned kit and you probably would need to upgrade all fuel lines. E85 is very corrosive from what I can tell, that's why it's not catching on like fire, they can't ship it using current pipelines, etc. You might need a modified gas tank. All in all, maybe $3,000USD? I have absolutely no idea...

CslRkH2
05-03-2006, 12:15 AM
The 5.3L GM engine is the only gm light truck enigine that can run on E85 (right now)

Taggart
05-03-2006, 04:08 PM
Hi all

Well thanx for the swift replies, it sure seems Ethanol eats everything in its way, i wonder in the long run is it worth it? anyway i just got a email from a company in europe, and they tell me that they take out the original tank,,,, well 80% replace it with a LPG one but they leave a small gas tank , which would give you 80 miles, now that of course would mean you have all the back space in tact, once i get some photos and spec i will koad up for anybody who is interested.

Grant

vip808
05-13-2006, 12:12 AM
I think the gov. here in Hawaii wants to make e85 mandatory and i would like to know if this mixture would have adverse effects on superchargers and aftermarket tuners that suggest 91-92(?)octane gas for getting the best out of your truck.
Aubs, is it really equal to 95 octane?
Thanks

vip808
05-26-2006, 05:47 AM
h2 can't according to the manual. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

where can I find this in the manual? I need to post some info at new-fuel.com The "powers that be" here in Hawaii are saying that the new gas doesn't pose harmful effects to the vehicles and that they are not liable for any damages brought on because of the ethanol blended fuel.

Would changing the thermostat and using a power programmer lessen the ill effects of the new gas?

deserth3
05-26-2006, 07:04 AM
Here's the web site for E85 fuel. www.e85fuel.com

I've read of people trying it in their Chevy Blazers and with straight E85 the check engine light would come on. The O2 sensor reported too much oxygen in the exhaust.

E85 has a higher octane. I believe it's like 105 so it shouldn't hurt Superchargers but from what I've read you'll get a lower MPG on all engines. One of the complaints in Utah has been E85 has been almost as expensive as regular gas.

Look in the manual under additives. In the H-3 manual it's on page 5-6.

vip808
05-26-2006, 09:40 AM
deserth3,
thanks for the link

NoMoGMPG
05-26-2006, 03:38 PM
E85 is a 85% Ethanol/15% Gasolene mix. What you see is E10 or 10% Ethanol, which is perfectly acceptable to your engine. It might lower your economy slightly, but it burns cleaner. I think I used up to E15 in our H3 on a trip out West, and obviously there are no ill-effects. E85 is too rich however. I suspect it's like a 95 octane equivalent, since most E10 mixes I've seen are only 89.

Sorry, no.

The vehicles that can utilize E85 are an either/or usage. You can use EITHER E85 (85/15 Ethanol/Gasoline) OR Unleaded gasoline. Not a blend of the two. The misstatement above is that E85 makes the mixture too rich, not true, in actuallity, Ethanol was introduced to OXYDIZE the gasoline in high density areas, effectively LEANING the fuel. Alchohol has less BTU's per Kg than gasoline and is not like an octane booster either. It's like adding bread crumbs to meatloaf, increases the volume, not the substance.

We have had 3 E85 vehicles in for service due to being in "limp mode", as the customers were not adequately informed on the use of E85. You MUST run your tank down to near empty before changing from E85 or gasoline. The system cannot currently sense the change in the fuel density on the fly if the fuel is not mixed properly, as in when you go to fill up.

These are the effects of the growing pains we are going to encounter while we move away from a petroleum economy. The sooner the better, IMO. :mad:

Dave

HummBebe
05-26-2006, 03:56 PM
It's like adding bread crumbs to meatloaf, increases the volume, not the substance.

LMFAO!!! Meatloaf.....Bahahahahahahaha!!!:D