PDA

View Full Version : Headed Back to MOAB!!

RuggedH2
12-14-2007, 01:38 PM
Well to quote Sewie, we are headed back to Moab Bitches!!

The dates for the run are March 23 - March 30, 2008. The Easter Jeep Safari is scheduled the week prior. The run is open to 4x4's of all types, but our group is almost all Hummers. There will be some Jeeps and Scouts.

Moab has trails for everyone, from easy sightseeing trails all the way up to the ridiculously intense- (and beyond the abilities of most daily driver rigs). Don't worry if you haven't had a lot of desert slick-rock experience, there will be others that want to run the same stuff you will (and many experienced wheelers to guide and spot ya). The traction in Moab is incredible and it makes it possible to climb insane grades.

There are also many interested in running the more aggressive trails, so if you want to push your rig, but would like some other big Hummers around to spot you and assist if necessary ;) , now is the time. If you want to improve your wheeling skills....a few days to a week in Moab....will do it.

All the forum drama's that can occur on the inter-net, are non-existent in person and on trail-runs. Everyone gets along great, helps each other and has a good time wheeling. Moab is a resort town with good hotels and restaurants.

If anyone wants to show up early for the chaos of Jeep week that's cool too. The last Saturday of Jeep Safari is to Jeeps and 4x4's what Sturgis is to bikers (town is crazy). There are a few Hummers showing up on March 21st.

Some will come out and spend the whole week, some will make it for a few days. As the run gets closer we will get contact info out to everyone that plans to attend. If you can make it, you should schedule the time now. It is always a blast.

The sticky's at the top of this forum show past runs, I've never heard anyone say they didn't have a good time!
:beerchug:

RuggedH2
12-14-2007, 01:47 PM
Read the sticky's, but here are a few pics.

H2Bully on Moab Rim

RuggedH2
12-14-2007, 01:53 PM
:D

RuggedH2
12-14-2007, 01:56 PM
:popcorn:

RuggedH2
12-14-2007, 02:02 PM
:)

RuggedH2
12-14-2007, 02:08 PM
:cool:

RuggedH2
12-14-2007, 02:11 PM
;)

RuggedH2
12-14-2007, 02:17 PM

Sewie
12-14-2007, 11:26 PM
:)

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45249

What the hell was Cookie looking for? :jump:

Looking forward to seeing you guys again. :beerchug:

Sewie
12-14-2007, 11:54 PM
How would it be on a H3 with no locker:confused: :confused: :confused: ?????

We've had people with non-adv. H3's with us. There's enough traction that you can get by on most trails without it. My locker was busted last time I was there and the only time I needed a strap was for Golden Crack and Golden Stairs.

tower
12-15-2007, 12:04 AM
I'm in! :excited::excited::excited::excited::excited:

RuggedH2
12-15-2007, 03:52 PM
What the hell was Cookie looking for? :jump:

Looking forward to seeing you guys again. :beerchug:

:D That's funny! I was wondering that too when I posted that pic. :giggling:

We will have to ask him, he and Cris are planning to make the trip from Michigan again, they have another guy from out there planning on it also.

This is gonna be great. Bonfires, steaks and beers again? :beerchug:

* Edit

No locker....no matter. Plenty of trails for any rig. Many others along to assist. Sewie ran difficult trails with a broken locker.....not everyone has as much experience as he does, and might not want to run the same trails he did...but different groups will run different trails.

3Hummer
12-16-2007, 05:54 AM
how would it be on an H3 with just the standard tires or the upgradalbe tires?

frenzy1
12-16-2007, 08:44 AM
Wow ! thanks for sharing !!

RuggedH2
12-16-2007, 05:41 PM
how would it be on an H3 with just the standard tires or the upgradalbe tires?

You guys crack me up here. This is just wheeling guys.

The cool thing about Moab is all the different trails. There are many very easy trails, many moderate trails, and several difficult to very difficult trails. You run what you want. We will break up into groups, those groups stay together throughout the trail, an experienced guide will be with every group. We generally all meet back up for dinner, or a bonfire and beers later. Neo's house or the Gonzo parking lot are good meeting points.

Charles Wells has a guide book that is a good reference to locate and guide through the trails. Getting lost could be a challenge on some of them, if you were alone (which you only would be on this trip, by your own choice). The guide book is good material to know what you're getting into. Most Barnes and Noble bookstores have it, less than $20.

The cool thing about these runs is. Many there that have run these trails before. They help spot the new guys (and girls) and won't let you get lost. If you are newer to wheeling, these guys will give you pointers and help with tire placement, you will get a lot better in no time.

More experienced wheelers who have never been to Moab, generally are amazed (and they usually started out with high expectations). The place is wheeling paradise.

As far as vehicles go. Any Hummer will have a good time. You probably will leave wanting lockers, armor, better tires, upgraded suspension, increased articulation, you know........wheeling sh!t. Hell, who knows.....you may want to build a buggy after this. :giggling:

I should warn you the place and the hobby in general is addicting. Come on people, this crap is just for fun, and everyone is willing to help you, and nobody expects you to know everything.

You will be amazed at what your truck can do. :beerchug:

RuggedH2
12-16-2007, 06:01 PM
I forgot to mention the scenery....it's incredible.

Moab Valley from several hundred feet above.

RuggedH2
12-16-2007, 06:06 PM
;)

RuggedH2
12-16-2007, 06:13 PM
A few guys (Demo, Neo, Old Hiker) looking for the best line to bring an H3 up the same steps I'll post next.

RuggedH2
12-16-2007, 06:15 PM
One way in, same way out....If you drop down them in, you have to climb them back out. Cliff Hanger.

RuggedH2
12-17-2007, 07:46 PM
I realize it's Christmas time (Holiday season if you prefer) and everyone is thinking about that. Many of us have ice and snow on the ground.

People are thinking about accessorizing their trucks, but maybe not wheeling them, right now. Cool....but Spring is right around the corner, this run is only three months away. Last year was a blast, and we had over a dozen trucks make it out. Most of these are planning to return again this year.

I know we have a lot of new members here, some of you might be up for a Moab adventure. Anyway, here is a website with a bunch of Moab info, lodging, food, activities, etc.

http://www.moab4x4parts.com/moab_info.php

Feel free to PM me if you have questions that you don't want to post.

D-MAX
12-17-2007, 08:18 PM
man wish i could go! if i can trade in my h3x for a h3 alpha i'd go

H3_ATX_BLK
12-18-2007, 12:14 AM
So for us newbs who wanna come, anyone got an essential equipment list? Make sure we have the basics?

Sewie
12-18-2007, 02:14 AM
So for us newbs who wanna come, anyone got an essential equipment list? Make sure we have the basics?

First thing - lose the steps. You should have rock rails and UCP also.

H3_ATX_BLK
12-18-2007, 02:15 AM
First thing - lose the steps. You should have rock rails and UCP also.

ok got it loose the rails, UCP?

RuggedH2
12-18-2007, 03:25 AM
Sewie's right.

UCP- Under Carriage Protection

http://hummer.dealerfit.com/store/hummer-h3-under-body-shield-prod1309_13045.php

Same GM stuff sold at the dealer, where they charge more money. Easy to put on yourself.

Rock rails

http://www.rocky-road.com/rockrail.html

I have these, the GM factory ones are good too and can be found on the site posted for the UCP. Both of these are important if you plan to run any of the more advanced trails.

A CB radio is also a must, everybody communicates with each other while the group is moving.

Gloves, blankets, water, other stuff too. Tow straps are a good thing to have but there will be plenty of others there. There are also several trucks with winches also, but I don't think anybody needed one last year.

* Edit -Well just the once, but several got pulled that time.

tower
12-18-2007, 03:59 AM
2 more essentials:

a cooler and a fat wallet!

Optional:

good cigars & good booze!
:jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::jump:

H3 JT
12-18-2007, 08:08 AM
hey i have a modified h3 what will it take for me to go on this trip

tower
12-18-2007, 08:58 AM
hey i have a modified h3 what will it take for me to go on this tripWhat mods?

H3 JT
12-19-2007, 07:07 AM
What mods?

as far as performance goes I have a Rancho lift with 37" toyo open country M/T's and a rear air locker

tower
12-19-2007, 07:28 AM
Sounds like you're in pretty good shape. I'm sure there will be some full stock H3's there.

Big Dad
12-19-2007, 08:08 AM
Man, I'm reading this thread everyday and I'm jealous.

I'll be in school till August.

I hope to get the chance at MOAB some year in the future.

3Hummer
12-19-2007, 02:08 PM
grr i wanna go....but i live soo far away! i hate you guys who live right there!

tower
12-19-2007, 09:44 PM
Man, I'm reading this thread everyday and I'm jealous.

I'll be in school till August.

I hope to get the chance at MOAB some year in the future.Quit yer bitchin! Just fly in for a couple of days. You can second chair my rig.

timgco
12-19-2007, 10:00 PM
How many Jeeps'ers are going? I may be there about the same time frame. I'll have the TWO and the Rhino. ANyone else bringing quads/ bikes or anything else?

CO Hummer
12-20-2007, 06:40 AM
At Rugged's request, I moved this thread here. I think that's appropriate because Moab ain't just an H3 thing. :) Everyone who has an interest in wheeling should go!

I hope to make part of this trip, still TBD.

Timpikeco is going? Yeah right. :giggling:

Tim, If i go... I will definitely bring my MTB and do the slickrock trail.

RuggedH2
12-20-2007, 08:20 AM
Thanks CO!

It's about time we got some H2 owners in here. I hope Tim does make it, I want to show him how his old rig is holding up, (it's not quite as clean as it was when he owned it :D ). I have a few friends with Jeeps that might be left over after EJS sticking around for a couple days at the beginning of our run.

How about Adam, Castlerock, Tah2oe, Rocks? Where you guys at? Let's get some new H2's out also.

Time to get your party hats out. Lets do some wheeling in Moab.

Somebody out there in CO needs to finally talk Mooncricket into driving that new Jeep out to Moab, it's gotta be more comfortable on a road trip than the TJ. ;)

Big Dad
12-20-2007, 08:38 AM
Quit yer bitchin! Just fly in for a couple of days. You can second chair my rig.

You serious? Is this an invite? The young wife came home a few hours ago and said she was at Costco shooting the breeze with some woman driving a yellow Hummer...long story short...she wants one! That means I'll be in the market for an Alpha back in Alaska! She also asked what I was reading on the forum and I told her I think I might have an invite for a few days at MOAB. To which she replied "You should go Jeff! It only happens once in a while right?" If you're serious and it's an invite, pm me.

RuggedH2
12-20-2007, 11:30 PM
I got these from another guy going back to Moab. His camera and photography skills are way better than mine. He had to go buy a Heep though, so his wheeling skills are in question ;) :D .

RuggedH2
12-20-2007, 11:32 PM

RuggedH2
12-20-2007, 11:35 PM

RuggedH2
12-21-2007, 12:06 AM
A good video from last years run.

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=385813&postcount=39

SR1355
12-21-2007, 03:26 AM
Great Pics Jeff, I was wondering what the hell I was looking for also when I saw that pic. I want to really get on some harder stuff this trip, warranty is almost up and if it's gonna break it gonna break in MOAB!!!! :notallthere:

H3 JT
12-21-2007, 06:00 AM
sweet video and pics i want to go even more now!!! i dont have rock rails is there a certain type/brand you prefer??

tower
12-21-2007, 06:42 AM
You serious? Is this an invite? The young wife came home a few hours ago and said she was at Costco shooting the breeze with some woman driving a yellow Hummer...long story short...she wants one! That means I'll be in the market for an Alpha back in Alaska! She also asked what I was reading on the forum and I told her I think I might have an invite for a few days at MOAB. To which she replied "You should go Jeff! It only happens once in a while right?" If you're serious and it's an invite, pm me.OMG, has she got a sister? I PM'd you. It's not that you might have an invite, you do!

RuggedH2
12-21-2007, 07:00 PM
sweet video and pics i want to go even more now!!! i dont have rock rails is there a certain type/brand you prefer??

JT did you miss this post? I think I put it there for you (as well as others that may wish to more aggressively wheel their 3's).

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=453897&postcount=25

RuggedH2
12-21-2007, 07:07 PM
Great Pics Jeff, I was wondering what the hell I was looking for also when I saw that pic. I want to really get on some harder stuff this trip, warranty is almost up and if it's gonna break it gonna break in MOAB!!!! :notallthere:

Hey man I'm glad you're making the long trip again! We are planning Poison Spider-Golden Spike-Gold Bar Rim, Moab Rim, Cliff Hanger! We are gonna run the good stuff! I think your rig will be fine but, If anything does break Moab Outpost can fix it and still have it covered under warranty. If they have to Fed-Ex anything in, you can ride with me till it's fixed. We will run some moderate stuff (Flat Iron, etc.) with the newbies too.

I'm planning on chipping in for lunch chow- you cook, you got skills! Nothing like good chow on the trails. :cool:

H3 JT
12-22-2007, 03:31 AM
JT did you miss this post? I think I put it there for you (as well as others that may wish to more aggressively wheel their 3's).

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showpost.php?p=453897&postcount=25

yea sorry i must have skipped over it thanks for the info

Mr_Pat
12-22-2007, 04:17 AM
I'm in.... Back to the squadron out post......

RuggedH2
12-23-2007, 04:52 AM

Welcome Pat!

Mr_Pat
12-23-2007, 08:06 PM
Welcome Pat!

Hey its me :jump: :jump: :jump:

Mr_Pat
12-23-2007, 08:08 PM
Hey Neo (if your lerking around here) I call dibs on a patch a grass in the front yard for my tent:jump: :jump:

RuggedH2
12-24-2007, 08:25 AM
He's probably not lurking.....I'll bet he's got a spot for ya, getting pretty crowded out there I bet. Makes for a short walk after a booze 'n bonfire though.

CO Hummer
01-15-2008, 05:15 AM
Has Tim committed to piking on this one yet?

I hope things work out for me to get there for a long weekend. I Jonesing for some wheeling and the CO trails are under 10 feet of snow. :eek:

Sewie
01-15-2008, 06:51 AM
There is talk that GM/Hummer will have a presence at EJS this year. And also trying to get the Hall Racing Team out there.

I'm trying to talk them into sending the HX. :jump:

CO Hummer
01-15-2008, 07:33 AM
No way I would go during EJS week. I can't imagine Moab with 1000 rigs sharing the same trail. :raar:

Sewie
01-15-2008, 07:48 AM
I was planning on showing up the last weekend of EJS, arriving on the 21st-22nd, anyway. If Hummer ends up having a booth or whatever, I'm going to try to get out a day or two earlier. I've been emailing back and forth with one of the marketing guys and he wants some owners to be involved. I'm going to spend at least a week out there anyways. :cool:

RuggedH2
01-15-2008, 08:45 AM
I have several Heeper friends going down for EJS.....They have all been pressuring me to go down with them. I don't like the idea of wheeling when every trail is jam packed full, and the "official" trails are closed to others when the Safari is on them.

I would like to go downtown and check out the exhibits though, I didn't know Hummer was planning on having one there. If you find out that they are for sure, let me know. Maybe I'll arrive for Big Saturday and stay through the rest of the week. My friends have a condo set up so it would be easy.

Wife won't like me missing Easter with the kids, but........;)

SR1355
01-20-2008, 04:39 PM
I'm planning on rollin' in late on the 21st, I'd be up for checking out downtown on Sat to see what new with the Jeeper's... None stop from Jackson, MI!!!!:beerchug:

Sewie
01-24-2008, 12:50 AM
I didn't know Hummer was planning on having one there. If you find out that they are for sure, let me know.

Confirmed this morning that they will be there. :jump:

They will have a booth setup all week, with the new '08 models, some SEMA trucks, and the H3T. They are also trying to get Rod Hall's team to show up and will probably have parts/mechancial help. And they will be throwing a BBQ on Friday or Saturday night.

Me and Bebe are hoping to get there either Wed. or Thurs. night. They want to get as many owners as possible there.

RuggedH2
01-24-2008, 07:00 PM
Well damn.

My kids are out of school that week, but because everybody planned for the week after, I had planned to roll out there alone.

My Heeper friends all applied for EJS trails, I didn't, (my friends all know what the Hummers can do, but many other Heepers still think Hummers are only for show, I like changing those perceptions :D ).

I think because you guys and Paul are going to be there early, I will try to make it out by Big Saturday.

I'm still not too interested in running trails during the EJS (too damn busy to have much fun, a lot of waiting), but I would like to check-out town and the exhibits.

Thanks for posting the info.

SR1355, is Cris still planning on making it out?

RuggedH2
01-24-2008, 07:09 PM
Has Tim committed to piking on this one yet?

I hope things work out for me to get there for a long weekend. I Jonesing for some wheeling and the CO trails are under 10 feet of snow. :eek:

Yeah Tim, how bout it?

At least confirm the pike.......you know it's not an official pike, unless you actually say you're going to attend. :D

Hell, you never know......you might even actually make it. ;)

timgco
01-24-2008, 09:14 PM
Yeah Tim, how bout it?

At least confirm the pike.......you know it's not an official pike, unless you actually say you're going to attend. :D

Hell, you never know......you might even actually make it. ;)

23rd to the 30th? I won't be there for the entire week, but I will be there for the last weekend of EJS, and than hang out until Wed to wheel!!!!
I wonder if NEO will mind a toy hauler parked in his front yard?:jump:

Sewie
01-24-2008, 09:19 PM
I'm still not too interested in running trails during the EJS

Me neither.

SR1355
01-24-2008, 11:28 PM
Last I heard CrisB was a maybe... To be honest I'll be a maybe till we get closer. Housing is taking a beatdown in Michigan and we are definitely see the effects at our company.... I'll make it one way or the other...

SR1355
01-24-2008, 11:28 PM
Me neither.

:iagree:

HummBebe
01-25-2008, 12:44 AM
I'm running 3 trails during EJS and staying until the 30th for HUMMER week!!!

:jump:

Sewie
01-25-2008, 02:10 AM
I'm running 3 trails during EJS and staying until the 30th for HUMMER week!!!

Just don't break until the rest of us get there, mmkay. :fdance:

HummBebe
01-26-2008, 05:11 AM
Just don't break until the rest of us get there, mmkay. :fdance:

No worries, I bringing my own tech support:fdance:

Sewie
01-26-2008, 09:31 AM
No worries, I bringing my own tech support:fdance:

But you'll end up with an '83 Toy axle and Wagoneer springs under there . :fdance:

RuggedH2
01-27-2008, 04:20 AM
:D

Adam in CO
02-06-2008, 04:31 PM
Okay. I'm in. Made a reservation at the Gonzo for the 27th-30th.

Haydel-H3
02-06-2008, 04:47 PM
THANKS GUYS THAT IS WHAT WE NEED PICTURES, THE GUYS ARE GETTING SOME GREAT SHOTS AND MAKES ME MAD THAT IT IS A 3 DAY DRIVE TO GET WHERE YOU ARE.

HEY INFORMATION ON INSTALLING AIR LOCKER ON H3 THAT DOESN'T HAVE ONE WOULD BE NICE.

ENJOY YOUR MACHINES

RuggedH2
02-07-2008, 08:08 PM
Okay. I'm in. Made a reservation at the Gonzo for the 27th-30th.

Right On Adam! Look forward to wheeling GS with ya! You already know the line. :D

ShaggyX
02-12-2008, 04:39 PM
There is a slight...slight...chance that I will tag along on this one. No more 4x4 for me...so I won't be wheeling...but I have 1 offer to ride shotgun so far so I might consider it. :)

RuggedH2
02-16-2008, 12:23 AM
;) Right on Shaggy!

CO Hummer
02-20-2008, 04:54 AM
I'm in for sure now. Coming 3/26, Weds evening. Leaving on Sunday 3/30.

CrisB
03-05-2008, 05:40 AM
Sorry dudes & dudettes, I gotta put the Moab trip off 'till later in the year. I'll be thinking of you every day.:crying: Please post great pics. Had a great time last year meeting you all, best wheelin' fun I've ever had.

i heart the moab.

Sewie
03-11-2008, 06:41 AM
Just a little over a week until I'm hitting the road. :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana:

RuggedH2
03-11-2008, 07:27 AM
Counting the days.......

Wife and kids are leaving after the EJS final weekend. I've got a couple Jeep buddies sticking around after that.

I'm planning on staying through about Friday.

I ordered some Cognito parts to strengthen the steering system, Idler and Pitman kit and the Idler Pivot kit. Looking to do the upper control arms too.....but I won't get that done before this trip.

Got new tires showing up on Friday.......:D

I hope they fit. :o

CO Hummer
03-12-2008, 01:19 AM
Got new tires showing up on Friday.......:D

I hope they fit. :o

What did you get?

CO Hummer
03-12-2008, 01:20 AM
Just a little over a week until I'm hitting the road. :dancingbanana: :dancingbanana:

Too bad some of us CO folks are going to miss you. I hear you'll be leaving the day we arrive (late that night).

RuggedH2
03-12-2008, 03:02 AM
What did you get?

KM2's 38 14.50 17's

CO Hummer
03-12-2008, 04:03 AM
KM2's 38 14.50 17's

Bloody hell man! You better bring 3 or 4 sets of spare steering parts with tires that wide, combined with Moab slickrock. :eek: :eek:

Kenny busted his stuff with 13.50s.

Should look good though. :)

RuggedH2
03-12-2008, 04:19 AM
I've already run around all over down there with 13.50's.

I did buy the pitman and idler support kit, and the idler pivot kit. I talked to Phil about swapping out the center link also, but the truck does spend more time on the road than off.......so I didn't do that part.

You're right though.....the steering with those wide tires was one of my primary concerns too. ;)

Edit*

I'm already used to wheeling a 3 and not breaking sh!t, so I should be OK. No smilies on edit so pretend there is a big grin here.

CO Hummer
03-12-2008, 05:33 AM
I've already run around all over down there with 13.50's.

I did buy the pitman and idler support kit, and the idler pivot kit. I talked to Phil about swapping out the center link also, but the truck does spend more time on the road than off.......so I didn't do that part.

You're right though.....the steering with those wide tires was one of my primary concerns too. ;)

Edit*

I'm already used to wheeling a 3 and not breaking sh!t, so I should be OK. No smilies on edit so pretend there is a big grin here.

You may not bust in Moab. But with that width I'd plan on replacing the steering components regularly. You definitely don't wanna try to force the wheel on things like the Golden Crack when you get wedged.

RuggedH2
03-12-2008, 06:36 AM
I know what you mean, I've felt the steering "lock up" on a couple different obstacles with the 13.50's already.

I admit it is a gamble. I hope the Cognito parts make a difference in strengthening that system.

I'm planning to get new wheels also with the Staun internal beadlocks installed.......but for Moab I'm forcing these onto the 9" wide wheels I got from Tim. :eek:

I like to live dangerously......well that, or I didn't plan far enough ahead. :notallthere:

Call me foolish (you're probably right) but I'm optimistic that everything will work. Watch now nobody will want to wheel with me. Expecting "boom" any minute. :giggling:

Fortunately I'll be there wheeling for a few days before you guys get there........so if it's gonna go "boom", odds are it will happen before you guys gotta bail me out. :D

Sewie
03-12-2008, 07:40 AM
Too bad some of us CO folks are going to miss you. I hear you'll be leaving the day we arrive (late that night).

I'm not planning on heading home until the 29th. So I'll be around for a couple of the days you guys will be there.

RuggedH2
03-13-2008, 03:59 AM
I got those KM2's on the truck!

I'm not worried about it anymore at all. They don't look any bigger than the Pro Comps that just came off.

The "shoulders" on the Pro Comps are much more squared than the KM2's. It makes them look bigger and wider.

I'm ready to put these tires to use on the trails. I could've bought an old Jeep for what they cost. :D

CO Hummer
03-14-2008, 08:57 AM
I'm not planning on heading home until the 29th. So I'll be around for a couple of the days you guys will be there.

Excellent!

Are you gonna be at the Gonzo with some of us?

CO Hummer
03-14-2008, 09:04 AM
Call me foolish (you're probably right) but I'm optimistic that everything will work. Watch now nobody will want to wheel with me. Expecting "boom" any minute. :giggling:

Looking forward to seeing that rig. It's gotta look great, I'm sure.

I would say OFF the escalator until your last day. That obstacle is going to give you the most buckle of anything in Moab.

It's not just your steering components that are at risk. The steering will wear away slowly. But the tied rods and joints on the axle can snap. Ask Ken! With 13.50s he buckled two HD Fabtech ties rods in no time.

Sewie
03-14-2008, 08:52 PM
Excellent!

Are you gonna be at the Gonzo with some of us?

I'm staying at Neo's, but save a spot for me in the parking lot. :beerchug:

RuggedH2
03-15-2008, 08:55 AM

A couple of you guys are driving rigs that I really want to see. It's gonna be interesting watching your new rig.

Adam in CO
03-16-2008, 05:42 PM

I would say OFF the escalator until your last day. That obstacle is going to give you the most buckle of anything in Moab.

It's not just your steering components that are at risk. The steering will wear away slowly. But the tied rods and joints on the axle can snap. Ask Ken! With 13.50s he buckled two HD Fabtech ties rods in no time.

...and blew out the hubs

RuggedH2
03-16-2008, 06:38 PM
Damn.......what was he doing? :D

moabxj01
03-16-2008, 11:47 PM
Is the agenda set up for the week yet? Or who do I contact to find out whats going on?

I am buying an H3 this week and figure I might as well break it in properly :)

RuggedH2
03-17-2008, 03:17 AM
MoabXJ01,

You are welcome to come along.

Reservations in Moab might be kinda tricky.....but shouldn't be impossible. If you don't mind staying in a tent, a guy that lives down there will probably let you put one up in his yard (there will be others there too).

I live right down the road from you, PM me and I can get you any info you need.

I'm rolling down either Thursday or Friday depending what I can get done.

Do you still have the XJ?

moabxj01
03-17-2008, 03:30 AM
Yeah I think we will just be camping out. I want to leave next thursday but my friend probably can't get off work till friday(28th) so I'm guessing we wont leave until then.

I sold the xj a few years ago but the name has stuck since all my email and other logins were based on it ;)

I am excited to get the hummer and see what it can do in moab. I'll send ya a PM.

Thanks,
Ryan

Adam in CO
03-18-2008, 06:45 PM
Damn.......what was he doing? :D

Escalator.

RuggedH2
03-18-2008, 08:08 PM
Yeah that's what CO said too.

I watched a Dana 60 full width (and stretched) YJ, with 6 inches of lift struggle like a mother f*cker on that.

I don't know how my tie rods will do.....but I do think Hummers have an advantage on that over short wheel bases.

Adam in CO
03-19-2008, 12:25 AM
So, now I'm thinking of coming the 26th, instead. As it draws nearer, I get more anxious to get the hell outta here.

CO Hummer
03-19-2008, 05:48 AM
So, now I'm thinking of coming the 26th, instead. As it draws nearer, I get more anxious to get the hell outta here.

WTH? I thought you were always planning to go on the 26th. :confused: I'm hoping to leave around 5-6pm.

Adam in CO
03-19-2008, 02:39 PM
WTH? I thought you were always planning to go on the 26th. :confused: I'm hoping to leave around 5-6pm.

No. Always had been on the 27th. Regardless, I am going much earlier in the day than 5-6pm. I dont want to get there in the dark.

RuggedH2
03-20-2008, 05:28 PM
I'm leaving tomorrow morning, be in Moab for lunch (with 10,000 Jeepers).

See you guys there.

RuggedH2
03-20-2008, 05:30 PM
I forgot to add that it snowed an inch at my house this morning......but the temp is 63 degrees in Moab right now.

Forecast looks like mid sixties all next week (for now, anyway).

timgco
03-26-2008, 10:22 PM
I dont want to get there in the dark.

haha, Adam and his lights...afraid to use them. :notallthere: :clapping:

KenP
03-26-2008, 11:07 PM
It's not just your steering components that are at risk. The steering will wear away slowly. But the tied rods and joints on the axle can snap. Ask Ken! With 13.50s he buckled two HD Fabtech ties rods in no time.We had 15.5's and were always replacing junk in the front.

CVs, tie rods and center links when bent or broken, bring teh sucketh.

RuggedH2
03-27-2008, 10:36 PM
I just got back.

Didn't break anything (did bend some steel, but nothing that matters - damn trailing arms, I hate everything that hangs down on this truck). We ran Moab Rim, Kane Creek, Strike Ravine and Steel Bender.

Complete kick in the ass.......The H2 rocked.

These BF Goodrich KM2's are the best truck tire I've ever owned. The flex is unreal and the traction is outstanding! Absolutely great tire!

Sewie
04-01-2008, 01:28 AM
Got back last night.

Didn't break anything

Wish I could say the same. :mad: :mad:

- Hub assembly
- Steering Rack
- CV axle (busted on I-70 on the way home) :rant:

Truck is still in SLC at the dealership. I have to drive back next weekend to get it. :crying:

Still had a great time when I wasn't dealing with breakage. Good to see everyone again although I wish I could have run some more trails.

RuggedH2
04-01-2008, 02:37 AM
Sewie call me when you get in town. I'll buy ya dinner and some beers.

ROX
04-01-2008, 04:13 AM

:beerchug:We're here for the night! or 2 :)

ROX
04-01-2008, 04:15 AM
Truck is still in SLC at the dealership. I have to drive back next weekend to get it. :crying: bummer dude. sorry to hear that. I'm hoping to get out Wed a.m. in between snow storms.

CO Hummer
04-01-2008, 05:11 AM
Truck is still in SLC at the dealership. I have to drive back next weekend to get it.

Can you get it shipped? It would probably be the same as gas & airfare.

Sewie
04-01-2008, 07:07 AM
Can you get it shipped? It would probably be the same as gas & airfare.

There wasn't a flight out until 10pm and no non-stops to ANY of the Bay Area airports. :lame: I wouldn't have arrived until this morning.

I ended up renting a car for the week. Cheaper than flying, unlimited miles, plus I have something to drive to work. And most of it will be reimbursed through warranty.

Sewie
04-01-2008, 07:10 AM

If I end up spending the night I'll definitely take you up on that. :beerchug: