PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Vapors in Engine Compartment

TroysH2
07-18-2003, 12:33 AM
In Las Vegas 114 degree heat my H2 built up excessive pressure in the fuel system. Did not smell anything inside until i got out and was overwhelmed by the fumes comming from the engine area. (good thing I am non smoker) I then opened the fuel cap. Bad idea! The air/vapors blew for about 3-4 minutes knocking the cap from my hand. The dealer has it now. Has anyone else had a similiar experience, this seems very dangerous. Thanks troy

TroysH2
07-18-2003, 12:33 AM
In Las Vegas 114 degree heat my H2 built up excessive pressure in the fuel system. Did not smell anything inside until i got out and was overwhelmed by the fumes comming from the engine area. (good thing I am non smoker) I then opened the fuel cap. Bad idea! The air/vapors blew for about 3-4 minutes knocking the cap from my hand. The dealer has it now. Has anyone else had a similiar experience, this seems very dangerous. Thanks troy

Buckeye Hummer
07-18-2003, 12:38 AM
TroysH2, I don't know if this is related but I saw a friend of mine at the local starbucks (that means within 100 yards of my house). He said a friend of his has an H2 that caught fire for no apparent reason. It was in fact in the engine compartment. The fire department came to put it out and were surprised when it somehow started up again. I haven't seen my friend for about a week but if I do I will get more details.

Klaus
07-18-2003, 12:51 AM
Did you still have the factory gas cap on your H2?

Klaus

"God made some men big and some men small, but Sam Colt made them all equal."

TroysH2
07-18-2003, 01:41 AM
Yes, everything is stock including the gas cap, I have no mod's on my H2. thanks!

MAC
07-18-2003, 04:34 AM
Troy and Buckeye, what you are saying sounds pretty serious and scary. Please let us know what your dealer says.

Klaus, no GM/Hummer bulletins on this subject?

Klaus
07-18-2003, 12:03 PM
None that I can find. However, I don't have access to GM's online database - Only their standalone product, which is scheduled to be updated every two weeks (HUGE 400+ MB download). The next scheduled update for the standalone software is Monday.

Klaus

TroysH2
07-18-2003, 12:45 PM
The dealer told me that GM engineers are currently working on an issue involving gas leaks from the vapor/recirculation canister under and behind the driver side seat. They are not sure if this relates to my issue invovling to much air pressure in the fuel/vapor recovery system. I should find out more latter today. thanks again, troy

Klaus
07-18-2003, 02:52 PM
Document ID# 1261223
2003 HUMMER H2

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vehicle is Difficult to Fill with Fuel or Filling Station Pump Shuts Off Before Tank is Full (Inspect Fuel Tank Vent Tube Opening and Replace Fuel Tank) #03-06-04-019 - (03/11/2003)
Vehicle is Difficult to Fill with Fuel or Filling Station Pump Shuts Off Before Tank is Full (Inspect Fuel Tank Vent Tube Opening and Replace Fuel Tank)
2003 HUMMER H2

Condition
Some customers may comment that their vehicle is difficult to fill with fuel or when filling, the pump continuously shuts off before the tank is full.

Cause
This condition may be caused by the fuel filler tank vent opening being collapsed inside the tank, which does not allow fuel vapors to vent sufficiently.

This condition may cause the fuel fill nozzle to shut off prematurely.

Correction
Inspect the fuel filler tank vent for blockage and replace the fuel tank if an obstruction is encountered using the procedure listed below.

1. Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the Vehicle in General Information in the Service Manual (SI Document ID #928339).
2. Remove the fuel tank vent hose from the fuel tank.
3. Using a plastic tie strap (at least 254 mm (10 in) long), insert the pointed end of the strap into the elbow fitting of the vent and push it beyond the 90 degree elbow in the vent fitting through into the tank. The tie strap should be able to go into the tank at least 203 mm (8 in).
4. If a solid obstruction is encountered, replace the fuel tank. Refer to Fuel Tank Replacement in the Engine Controls sub-section of the Service Manual (SI Document ID #861699).

Parts Information
Part Number
Description

Fuel Tank

Parts are currently available from GMSPO.

Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation
Description
Labor Time

L1260
Inspect Fuel Filler Tank Vent
0.3 hr

In Other Labor Hours, add 1.5 hr for replacing fuel tank. Authorization Required.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Document ID# 1261223
2003 HUMMER H2

Klaus
07-18-2003, 03:07 PM
The above TSB is the only one I could find that looked like it might cause the problem.

Klaus

Albie
07-18-2003, 08:29 PM
wow my X5 is starting to have that problem klaus. Hey Troysh2, are your from Vegas. If you are its glad to have one of you here on the forum. Anyways there tons of H2's in Vegas. I used to live there.

TJ
07-18-2003, 08:41 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TroysH2:
The dealer told me that GM engineers are currently working on an issue involving gas leaks from the vapor/recirculation canister under and behind the driver side seat.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This sounds like a pretty dangerous thing and if they are "currently working" on it, don't you think it might sound like it should be an urgent recall issue instead? Everything under the sun and then some has already gone wrong with my H2, but the last thing in the world I want is for it to spontaneously burst out into flames!

MAC
07-18-2003, 09:31 PM
It is still too early to push the panic button yet, so far just internet talk and some friend of somebody said something. Many people don't even know which is H1 or H2, it could be a Rover for all we know, they are all square SUVs.

I think I smelled gas once or twice from my other cars in the past, but never happen again. I saw some TV film, think it was Real TV, some woman was flling up gas and suddenly that car just went up in flame, turned out those things are real. But they have not been able to prove spontaneously combustion or cell phone causes explosion at gas station, personally I would worry more about myself being spontaneously combusted as I sit here or some aliens just pop out and take me up there for some fun probing. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

TroysH2
07-19-2003, 01:14 PM
Picked up the H2 friday and was told that nothing was found, no leaks or indications of fuel problems. However, they told me that a GM/Hummer engineer was comming in Monday to discuss H2 fuel leaking issues with their staff/techs. I did have the driver side mirror replaced(it was loose) and the center counsel latch assemble replaced(it broke). Wednesday it goes back to have the front hood repainted. My yellow H2's clear coat is flaking off and it contains curtains in the paint(from the factory).

H2 Daddy
07-20-2003, 01:59 AM
TroysH2

What do you mean by curtains in the paint?

Buckeye Hummer
07-20-2003, 04:40 AM
H2 Daddy, I believe he means areas of shading but I am not quite sure. I am also anxious to see what this is.

MAC
07-20-2003, 05:36 AM
I think what he meant was there is a wavy drape curtain like shades in the paint?

TroysH2
07-22-2003, 11:37 PM
Curtains in the paint is a term the dealers service writer used. It describes sags in the paint. In this case the sag in the paint is about 2 feet long and aprox. 1-1.5 inches in height.

Hummer Man
07-22-2003, 11:46 PM
We all know in general the H2 paint job is average at best in both quality and application. I would suggest waxing atleast once a month to keep what is there looking good. Also use a spray detailer whenever you wash. The paint chips way way way to easy at the door sills. In short the H2 paint SUCKS!

MAC
07-23-2003, 05:53 AM
My Hummer paint is perfect with no chips @14,000 miles. Wax once a month, you must be crazy HM! 10 months no wax and no need. Every time I wax a car, my arms felt like monkey arms. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif