PDA

View Full Version : Kenwood DDX 7015 will this fit??

urban-assault
04-28-2004, 04:48 AM
I just came across the Kenwood DDX 7015, it is an indash touchscreen with cd/am,fm/mp3 and Sirius Satellite Radio controls & navigation ready. It measures 6.5" wide and 4" tall. Does anybody know if this will fit properly on the H2 as an in-dash replacement for the stock stereo? This is not one of those flip-ups, it would look like the stock navigation unit.

urban-assault
I just came across the Kenwood DDX 7015, it is an indash touchscreen with cd/am,fm/mp3 and Sirius Satellite Radio controls & navigation ready. It measures 6.5" wide and 4" tall. Does anybody know if this will fit properly on the H2 as an in-dash replacement for the stock stereo? This is not one of those flip-ups, it would look like the stock navigation unit.

urban-assault

urban-assault
04-28-2004, 04:55 AM
It opens up like the Rosen/Nevcox unit...

urban-assault
04-28-2004, 04:56 AM
Another pic of it closed...

Garry
09-24-2004, 11:16 AM
I just purchased the DDX7015 for my H2. The unit
will fit in the double din opening but you are
going to have some problems. If you are doing the install yourself the unit has no brackets so you will have to make some. I could not find any on the internet so I made them myself. Second, the snap ring that goes around the front of the radio pushes the unit too far out of the cavity. If you keep the trim ring you will have to cut away some of the plastic (in the h2 cavity) behind the radio to make it seat properly. If you lose it, the radio fits just about perfect. You can not mount the trim ring on the outside of the dash because the dash around factory radio is "angled in" and the
trim ring is flat. You might consider cutting into the exterior of the factory dash. I did not want to modify the factory dash at all. Once to get past those problems the biggest headache will be connecting the onstar, chimes and steering wheel contols. After alot of research here are the highlites: You have to determine which bose amp is in your H2. I have to 2004 without the premium bose sound system. In the glove box the radio code is marked "UQA". If you have the H2 with the standard bose like I do you are in luck. Another way to determine which amp you have is by unplugging the radio, if you lose the chimes - you have the standard "dumb amp". If you still have your chimes you more than likely have the premium amp.If you have premium bose sound and you are retaining the factory amp. You will lose the fade controls on any aftermarket radio you install. This kinda stinks because the DDX7015 has "dual
zone" ability so you can listen to the radio in the front speakers and listen to a dvd in the back. From the way I understand it, the premium bose only accepts two channels one left and one right. Then a seperate contol wire controls the fade on the factory radio. The standard bose sound set up is quite different. It accepts all four sound channels. There are a bunch of bus adapters on the market. Here is what I found; on the soundgate Digistar B you must install a seperate speaker under the dash to hear onstar. The Digistar B retains the fade control but I don't like the fact that you can't control the onstar through the aftermarket radio. The GMOS-02 by metra is what I was shipped by crutchfield when I purchased the radio. Don't waste your time with this. It has only two input channels left and right, which means no fade contols. The volume in the front two speakers is so loud it overpowers the rear to the point you can barely hear it. The onstar interface on the metra gmos-02 actually turns the radio off when you press the onstar button. It does not intergrate with the radio at all in my opinion. If you have the set up I have use the PAC OS2-Bose. It like the Digistar B keeps all 4 channels but it also has a phone input wire that attaches from the interface into to phone input wire on the radio. This allows you to control the volume on the onstar through the radio and mutes the sound so that the call takes priority. Most importantly, you do not have to install a seperate speaker. The PAC also keeps the radio's ability to "stay on" for 10 minutes after you remove the key from the ignition. Also you will need the PAC CM1 to keep the warning chimes and the steering wheel radio control adapter(the part # escapes me) if you need it, I will post it. One more thing, you need a DOUBLE DIN TRIM RING KIT (ABS) [UNIVERSAL FIT] to hide the gaps around the radio. Here is the link.

http://www.autotoys.com/x/catalog/DOUBLE_DIN_TRIM_RING_KIT_ABS_UNIVERSAL_FIT_p_984.h tml

You can cut and mold it yourself. It solves the exposed gaps once the radio is installed. I hope this helps. I am finishing the install this weekend.

Good Luck to anyone attempting this.

H2Finally
09-24-2004, 06:41 PM
WOW Gary! You sounded like Klaus' twin (and that's a compliment around here http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif)!! Please post photos when you post your finished installation update! Much obliged! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

TMKHUM
09-25-2004, 06:52 PM
Ok, but something does not make sense.

I have a 2003 H2 base. I looked at the codes, and mine is marked UQ7.

Now, my truck came with with single play CD/tape, which I thought was the base system. Actually, I thought all the amps/speakers were the same. The upgrades were only with the head unit (ie 6-disc).

I don't remember seeing base and/or premium bose system option...what are the differences...besides the amp??

Thanks
Tom

Garry
09-27-2004, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the compliment. I finished most of the install this weekend, except for the steering wheel controls. I will finish up this weekend. I have one correction; the PAC os2-bose does mute the radio but the onstar volume is not controled through the head unit. The OS2-bose has a small dial built into the box that you rotate to set the onstar volume. Get it right because you don't want to tear the dash apart again because you set the volume too high/low.
Here are some photos. I will be installing the nav, tv, hd radio, siri in the next few months. I will keep you up to date on any problems or tricks I run into.

Garry
09-27-2004, 11:46 AM
Here is one more pic. You couldn't attach more than one at a time.

Garry
09-27-2004, 11:57 AM
Tom, the 2003 and the 2004 are different. Don't quote me but I believe the UQ7 is the premium bose set up. The amp is the difference. You are gonna lose the fade control on any aftermarket head unit replacement unless you replace the amp. I can save you some research. Contact Robert Wilson VP of Sales, Pacific Accessory Corp. www.pac-audio.com (http://www.pac-audio.com) or Joe Hobart of Soundgate www.soundgate.com (http://www.soundgate.com) These are the companies that make the bus interface adapters, if these guys don't know....I doubt anyone does. I tried bose...no help. I tried hummer....no help. I even contacted helminc for the wiring diagrams for the speaker and amp set up. I was told none is available as of yet.

Hope this helps.

Garry

Garry
08-03-2005, 03:25 PM
8/3/05

I have been kinda busy but I just finished installing the TV tuner for the DDX7015 the DTC-V500. The unit is very easy to install. I mounted the antennas in the front windshield. I hid them between the liner in the roof on the glass. You have to mount the antenna in the shape of an "L"
according to the manual to get the best reception. I removed the vertical plastic sections where the small tweeter in the front of the dash is to mount the vertical section of the antenna. They are so long it is hard to find a good spot to mount it. I mounted the controller box under the center console vertically. You don't even have to bolt it down. It fits real snug. The head unit knows as soon as you plug in the TV tuner that it is there and you get a signal right away. I will post some photos in a few days. The install looks very clean with no exposed wires and the tuner pulls in the channels very nicely.

Garry

W1N
08-05-2005, 05:22 AM
Hey there Garry!

Could you tell how did you solve that fade contol and steering wheel control issues, conserning the Kenwood install. I'm not so interested about the onstar since I will not be able to use it anyways. I'm looking to get Kenwood DDX7017 on my 2006 H2, but definately want to maintain the fade and steering wheel options.

Thanks!

Garry
08-05-2005, 10:34 AM
I am not exactly sure of the amp set up
on the factory 06, I know the 03 and 04
have different set-ups. The amp is the key
to the whole thing. Check in the glove box and look for a radio code marked "UQA" if you have that code then we have the same set-up. If you have this get the PAC-OS2 Bose interface adapter. That will give you the fade controls and dual zone that the DDX7015 supports. Also you need the PAC-CM1 to get you chimes back and you will need to get the steering wheel control adapter if you want to control the radio functions with the steering wheel. The PAC-OS2 Bose has onstar support built in out of the box so if you decide to activate it later it will be ready to work. Let me know if this helps.

Garry

W1N
10-15-2005, 03:41 PM
Thanks!

I've got a bunch more questions for you though. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Like I said, I'm not interested of using the OnStar (it doesn't work here) and actually I will remocve it. I will replase the OnStar with the Nav unit that this Kenwood model does not have in it.

1. Did you have the factory Nav option before you got the Kenwood? Where did you place the Nav unit? If didn't have the nav option, where did you place the GPS antenna?

2. Can you provide me the wiring diagram of your set up. I need to have all the other functions, but not onstar. So I need to find proper PAC products and wiring diagram how to set it up.

Thanks again!

Garry
10-16-2005, 11:30 PM
I did not get the factory Nav option when
I ordered mine. I have not yet installed the
Kenwood Nav option as of yet. I may install it
next summer. I did add the Kenwood TV tuner.

I am going to place the Nav box in the space
where the onstar currently is located. I am
not sure if I am going to get a rear view mirror with the Onstar buttons and wire it myself of if I am going to install the buttons
some where else because I kept my onstar.

I will send you a wiring diagram of my set up tomorrow. I have to draw it up. I will also send you a list of what to get.

If you have not yet purchased the DDX7015 yet, you may want to look at the Kenwood DDX7017 - The menus are much better looking then the 7015s. Also, when viewing dvds you need the remote to select the menu buttons. On the DDX7017 the dvd menu buttons are fully touch screen. The 7017 has JPG & MPEG1 playback.

Garry

W1N
10-17-2005, 03:24 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Garry:
I did not get the factory Nav option when
I ordered mine. I have not yet installed the
Kenwood Nav option as of yet. I may install it
next summer. I did add the Kenwood TV tuner.

I am going to place the Nav box in the space
where the onstar currently is located. I am
not sure if I am going to get a rear view mirror with the Onstar buttons and wire it myself of if I am going to install the buttons
some where else because I kept my onstar.

I will send you a wiring diagram of my set up tomorrow. I have to draw it up. I will also send you a shooping list of what to get.

Garry </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks! Looking forward of seeing that wiring diagram. Btw, where did you install the TV tuner antennas?

Garry
10-17-2005, 10:14 AM
Yeah, Get the PAC OS2 Bose for PAC audio. Check my previous posts on this 1st to check you amp set up.

Garry
10-17-2005, 10:49 AM
I tried to draw the diagrams up but it was taking me way too long. Plus they are somewhat
confusing so check out these links.

steering wheel controls wiring diagram -
http://pac-audio.com/swixprogramming/showvehicleinfo.as...arch+Vehicles&ID=263 (http://pac-audio.com/swixprogramming/showvehicleinfo.asp?RadioGroupPioneer=0&amp;mmSearch=H ummer&amp;Submit2=Search+Vehicles&amp;ID=263)

os2-bose wiring diagram -
http://pac-audio.com/instructions/os2binstr.pdf

cm1 chime wiring diagram -
http://pac-audio.com/instructions/cm1.pdf

I mounted the TV antennas behind the front windshield.

Hope this helps.

Garry

W1N
10-17-2005, 06:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Garry:
I tried to draw the diagrams up but it was taking me way too long. Plus they are somewhat
confusing so check out these links.

steering wheel controls wiring diagram -
http://pac-audio.com/swixprogramming/showvehicleinfo.as...arch+Vehicles&ID=263 (http://pac-audio.com/swixprogramming/showvehicleinfo.asp?RadioGroupPioneer=0&amp;mmSearch=H ummer&amp;Submit2=Search+Vehicles&amp;ID=263)

os2-bose wiring diagram -
http://pac-audio.com/instructions/os2binstr.pdf

cm1 chime wiring diagram -
http://pac-audio.com/instructions/cm1.pdf

I mounted the TV antennas behind the front windshield.

Hope this helps.

Garry </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Garry!

Sure sounds like quite a bit of work there. I'm kinda thinking to have somebody else to do it. Is it as difficult as it seems? Does these get everything else other than OnStar working as it is in stock radio?
Did you intsall the TV antennas in the hole between the dash and windshield so you relly can't see them or did you place them visible/do you have to have them visible to work correctly?

Thanks again for your time!!!

Garry
10-17-2005, 07:04 PM
It is not a lot of work if you have a few days to kill. I had to do this alone and it took almost 3 weeks to complete everything.

Yes everything works, the steering wheel radio controls, the onstar (not that you are using it), the fade controls, the chimes, everything. You will lose rear controls from the factory radio. Make sure you check
your amp set-up 1st before you buy anything.

The TV tuner works great, the antenna must be on glass for them to work. I
did not want to mount them on the rear window. I didn't want to see them inside the car at all. I took some pics of where I put them so you can see.

It has 4 antennas 2 have to mount vertical and 2 horizontal to get the best
reception.

No problem at all.

Garry

Garry
10-17-2005, 07:06 PM
Here is the other photo. You can't see the antennas at all when the plate is put back.

W1N
10-18-2005, 05:53 PM
Here is the other photo. You can't see the antennas at all when the plate is put back. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks again!

Garry
10-19-2005, 10:37 AM
Good luck. Post your pics when your finished.

W1N
12-12-2005, 07:24 PM
I am not exactly sure of the amp set up
on the factory 06, I know the 03 and 04
have different set-ups. The amp is the key
to the whole thing. Check in the glove box and look for a radio code marked "UQA" if you have that code then we have the same set-up. If you have this get the PAC-OS2 Bose interface adapter. That will give you the fade controls and dual zone that the DDX7015 supports. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hello Garry!

I'm about to make the purchase now and I'm kinda thinking that do I really need the PAC-OS2. I don't really need the dual zone and I'm not using the OnStar for sure. So, what do you mean by fade control?

Thanks!

Garry
12-12-2005, 07:39 PM
You need the OS2 if you don't want to splice all the wires.
If you have the set up that I have your factory amp supports
fade control - when you fade the sound from front to back.

If you have the "dumb-amp" there is no fade control - you can
not fade the sound from front to back. You get the same volume level
all the time to all 6 speakers 2 in the front and the 4 in the
back.

W1N
12-12-2005, 07:52 PM
You need the OS2 if you don't want to splice all the wires.
If you have the set up that I have your factory amp supports
fade control - when you fade the sound from front to back.

If you have the "dumb-amp" there is no fade control - you can
not fade the sound from front to back. You get the same volume level
all the time to all 6 speakers 2 in the front and the 4 in the
back. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Rock! Quick anwser!

Thanks!!!

kodiakz
12-12-2005, 10:17 PM
Peripheral and Soundgate also make adaptors that will work well. Make sure that you have the oem fader set to the middle position before you install the new head as you cannot adjust it after.