PDA

View Full Version : Towing with an H1?

nasabound1
01-22-2008, 03:37 AM
Hey folks..

I have a 2000 H1. I am in the process of moving from Maryland to Florida and have now made 2 trips towing trailers. Both trips the transmission would work in 4th for a while but as soon as any upgrade is encountered it downshifts to 3rd gear and doesn't return to 4th unless I pull over and turn the truck off. I talked to Am General on the trip and the engineer I spoke with said this is normal. He suggested an increase in tire pressure to 40 PSI. A call to the dealer disclosed that these transmissions, when used on other vehicles, have a tow/haul switch that can be engaged to overcome this and force the transmission to stay in fourth. Has anyone had a similar problem towing trailers of any size for a moderate distance? My round trip is about 1700 miles and it's miserable driving at 63 mph and having almost 3 gran on the tach. Suggestions?

Thanks,

Dave

ssgharkness020147
01-23-2008, 12:13 AM
From what I remember AMG actually recommends that you put the gear selector in third when towing a heavy load and not drive over 55 (?). You could install the electronic B&M shift plus (guessing again here) shift kit. That will firm up your shifts and help keep the TC locked up, but I'm not promising that this will completely solve the problem.

phazer42
01-23-2008, 12:38 AM
I have a 2001 and when I tow a 32' travel trailer I do it at 55mph as any faster it wants to overheat. Hummers really are not the best vehicles for towing and serious loads. For the trip that you have perhaps a moving truck is the best solution, and perhaps the most economical....

pdxhummerguy
01-24-2008, 08:32 PM
I two with mine and it seems to do alright but for sure not the best tow vehicle. I have an 02 7.3 diesel excursion and that is a towing monster.

nasabound1
03-18-2008, 10:09 PM
Thanks for your suggestions!.. I installed the B&M kit and it was by far the best solution.

Dave

Badace
05-13-2008, 04:44 AM
Is this the same with an Alpha? Man I want one so Bad for a hunting rig(I have a Ranger and Razr for woods riding) but I am worried about the practical limitations. IE. Towing, breaking something +'s 3k out of pocket. I guess, as much as I would like to have an H1, sinsibly, for my uses, it makes none. I would use it for some driving but especially getting to the lease and maybe some hard trail riding. A H2 maybe best but I like the open top.

ROX
09-04-2008, 05:38 PM
Is this the same with an Alpha? Man I want one so Bad for a hunting rig(I have a Ranger and Razr for woods riding) but I am worried about the practical limitations. IE. Towing, breaking something +'s 3k out of pocket. I guess, as much as I would like to have an H1, sinsibly, for my uses, it makes none. I would use it for some driving but especially getting to the lease and maybe some hard trail riding. A H2 maybe best but I like the open top.I have that setup, but the Ranger isn't pictured here. I like the wagon because it's got so much interior room (dry storage) and I put a rack on top for gas, water, and tools. I also have the ax, shovel and hi lift mounted on the rack to keep it out of the interior. The Alpha has plenty of power. :) I tow a small trailer regularly, and I have towed our toy hauler with it once. It has plenty of power, but it's not going to pull the same as a pickup.