PDA

View Full Version : Gut the cat?

Little General
02-19-2008, 01:30 AM
I have put a Borla Cat back on my 01 but still didn't get that turbo whistle I was looking for. Is it worth the trouble to either gut the cat or get a muffler shop to remove.In N.C. diesels don't need a cat and trucks this heavy don't either.

audiofetish
02-19-2008, 02:59 AM
I have put a Borla Cat back on my 01 but still didn't get that turbo whistle I was looking for. Is it worth the trouble to either gut the cat or get a muffler shop to remove.In N.C. diesels don't need a cat and trucks this heavy don't either.

That was the first thing I did when I got my 01. You can definitely here the Turbo. I took it to a local shop and had them remove the cat. $60 under the table. Out of curiosity, where did you find a Borla cat back for an H1? I didn't know they made them.

ssgharkness020147
02-19-2008, 06:08 AM
If you really want to hear your turbo straight pipe your truck. It really will not be any louder then it is already.

ROX
02-19-2008, 11:41 PM
If you really want to hear your turbo straight pipe your truck. It really will not be any louder then it is already.We did this on our pickup. I love the whistle!

Little General
02-20-2008, 01:55 AM
Maybe its not Borla, I bought it from a Hummer mechanic who removed it at the dealer to reinstalol factory pipes. Its looks just like the borla on my Ford Diesel.My fault. The same truck had all the parts from Heath Diesel on it that were removed also. I need to buy those also. So I guess its the brand they sell.

Little General
02-21-2008, 03:13 AM
Man, gutting the cat was harder than I thought.It only took 5 minutes to take the tail pipe off and after I tried different tools to knock out the honeycomb and ended up welding a 1 1/2" piece of angle iron to a broke air cheisel bit. Trimmed the sides donw and cut the center out in chunks. Put the tail pipe back on and looks facory. Now when I mash the pedal, black smoke pours out and the seat of the pants feel is great. Plus, the exhaust sounds killer with the whistle. Best thing Iv'e do yet....