PDA

View Full Version : Fly / Drive

killian
05-25-2005, 02:55 PM
So I got fed up with waiting and I got even more fed up with the thought that Lund is going to jack me for $2,200 over MSRP. I got up on Tuesday at 3am and started to work on getting a flight from Phoenix to Dallas. My dad and I arrived at DFW airport at 11.30 am and took a taxi to Sewell where we hooked up with Erica Gundy who treated us like we were the most important customers that she had. I picked out a black H3 Lux with the off road package and asked them to put on the chrome side step. Erica threw me the keys to her bosses H2T and told us where to find lunch while the chrome was being added and said to bring back the recipt so that she could pick up the tab. (lunch was great) We did the paperwork, took delivery at 330pm and hit the road. Traffic out of Dallas was a bear but my dad and I did tag team driving and we just got in. To the best of my knowledge none of the Hummer dealerships even has so much as a demo. I could be wrong but I possible have the only H3 in Arizona. Shall I bore everyone with the details of my drive?

killian
05-25-2005, 02:55 PM
So I got fed up with waiting and I got even more fed up with the thought that Lund is going to jack me for $2,200 over MSRP. I got up on Tuesday at 3am and started to work on getting a flight from Phoenix to Dallas. My dad and I arrived at DFW airport at 11.30 am and took a taxi to Sewell where we hooked up with Erica Gundy who treated us like we were the most important customers that she had. I picked out a black H3 Lux with the off road package and asked them to put on the chrome side step. Erica threw me the keys to her bosses H2T and told us where to find lunch while the chrome was being added and said to bring back the recipt so that she could pick up the tab. (lunch was great) We did the paperwork, took delivery at 330pm and hit the road. Traffic out of Dallas was a bear but my dad and I did tag team driving and we just got in. To the best of my knowledge none of the Hummer dealerships even has so much as a demo. I could be wrong but I possible have the only H3 in Arizona. Shall I bore everyone with the details of my drive?

HummerNewbie
05-25-2005, 02:58 PM
Please do.

By the way, congrats!

TimJ
05-25-2005, 03:08 PM
Nicely done!!

I think you have my truck...or at least the one I ordered. What interior color did you get?

DeLeon
05-25-2005, 03:12 PM
Great story Killian, I would have done the same if I had the option... how was the ride back home? What do you think of the on-road performance of the vehicle? Can you post some pics?

usetosellhummer
05-25-2005, 03:15 PM
I lost plenty of sales to Sewell, I knew they would treat you right. Lynch is the same way.
Good for you!

H3 Buyer to be?
05-25-2005, 04:46 PM
How can I see it? LOL I live in Scottsdale, and would live to see if I can fit in it!

Can I ask how much was it after all the tax and features? I dont want to give Lund the same $2200 for nothing.

killian
05-25-2005, 04:55 PM
here are my thoughts:
Underpowered? Not really, I cruised at 70 and 80 and even 85 with no trouble at all. I put my foot down and I pass with ease. It's not a corvette, don't buy it for speed.

Someone mentioned that it had a bad turning radius, I don't think it does. It has a better radius than the 1500 series chevy vans that I drive but I know that's not saying much. Still, I was pleased.
The power roof is sweet, highly suggested, It stayed open the whole trip back from Dallas. Oh, you know what else I suggest? Don't order the chrome package. The PLASTIC crome door handles feel lighter and cheaper than their non plastic counterparts. Maybe it's just me but I gave a tug on the chrome door handle and almost walked away from the dealership right there. The plastic chrome mirror caps have an odd hollow sounding "thunk" when you tap them.

The brush guard is hollow as well, did I expect it not to be? I think maybe so.

The strut assisted back door is nice but the cargo area is a little smaller than I expected. The seats fold down, although not 100% flat, it was well planned.

The 33's didn't whine at all on the freeway, the ride is tight and right, on road it's a dream. I giggled like a schoolgirl when I first sat in the seat, closed the door and gripped the leather wheel. *Nice*

Someone also mentioned that the rear axle rattled on their test drive, I had no such experience.

I took it across the street to get the dead bugs washed off and everyone came to have a look, It turns lots of heads.

I got the Black - morocco leather, but the black - pewter looks hot! Did I miss anything? Pics later this evening.

If you're in Phoenix and want to see a real live H3 up close, PM me and I'll give you the address to my shop. But, uh...no. You can't drive it.

In closing, I have zero regrets. It's every inch a Hummer.

timgco
05-25-2005, 06:07 PM
SWEET! Congrats

Glad to hear everything worked out for you. Can't wait to see the pics. ESP. because it's black with that interior. I couldn't talk my sig. other to order the black, so we ended up with pewter with ebony/ pewter interior.
So now the big Q: Are you going to join us in Moab in late Sept./ early October?

Can't wait for the pics.
Tim.

HummerNewbie
05-25-2005, 06:10 PM
Killian,

Thanks for the report. Good to know about the chrome package. How was the comfort level on a long drive? Was there a lot of wind noise either from the windshield or the sunroof? I know that every H2 that I have been in on the highway was noisy as hell around the windshield. Don't know if they all are though. I think it is so great that you flew to Dallas to get it rather than let the local dealer jack you around. I can not wait to get mine but will not play those games with them. I have a lot of vacation time I need to use this year, thinking it may be time for a road trip.

killian
05-25-2005, 06:55 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H3 Buyer to be?:
How can I see it? LOL I live in Scottsdale, and would live to see if I can fit in it!

Can I ask how much was it after all the tax and features? I dont want to give Lund the same $2200 for nothing. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm off of I-17 and Glendale Avenue, PM me and I'll give you the address to my shop, you can come by and see it if you want.

The total tag was a little over 38 thou but I din't pay that. I won't say what I did pay, ( I had to promise not to tell) but I will say this:
Anyone who is thinking of paying Lund the 2,200 needs to reconsider. Erica @ Sewell will make the trip wort it. And no, I'm not getting paid to say that.

killian
05-25-2005, 07:11 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by HummerNewbie:
Killian,
How was the comfort level on a long drive? Was there a lot of wind noise either from the windshield or the sunroof? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

The comfort was great. The seats are power adjustable with lumbar support. If I ever got uncomfortable from sitting for a few hours, I just moved the seat until I felt better.

My dad and I both took turns sleeping, sometimes on the back seat, sometimes in the cargo area with the seats folded down. It wasn't the Ritz, but you can survive if you remember the most important thing: bring a pillow. A roll of paper towels makes a poor substitute.

The only noise that I got was from the roof being open the whole trip. It's a bit bigger than most sunroofs so you get a bit more noise, nothing unbearable though. I could hear the stereo fine.

On a side note, I was worried about the chance of getting a cracked windshield because of the angle that it sits. We encountered an insane amount of bugs and I'm sure that the angle of the glass played a small part. At one point there were so many hitting the windshield, it sounded the same way rain sounds when it's beating the roof of the car.

firm
05-25-2005, 07:44 PM
That's great Killian, way to be proactive! I'm interested to see your pics, and hear your review when you get home? How long is that trip? Don't use the cruise control for the first 500 miles. The engine needs to be used at all RPMs. That chrome did look cheap. I guess I am going to have a lot of bugs on my car, being down here in florida. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

wannabeH3
05-25-2005, 08:11 PM
AWESOME!

baby_hummer
05-25-2005, 09:16 PM
Congrats! Post pics and updates as soon as you can. We're living vicariously through you.

oneworld
05-25-2005, 10:49 PM
Congrats Killian, I am thinking of doing the same thing but going to lynch its closer I am on the east coast. I am just wiating a few more days to see what happens with my dealer. Still no H3s here

Arizona Hummerboy
05-25-2005, 11:05 PM
Congrats!!!! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I stoped by Lund on Sunday to see if they had any of the H3 in yet, the sales person told me it would be about 3 weeks before they would get one in. He said he would be more then happy to take my money to hold one for me," What A **** Ball" I told him I don't do business that way, I like to see and drive what I am buying. I pissed off the sales person, but what the hell.

DeLeon
05-26-2005, 12:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Oh, you know what else I suggest? Don't order the chrome package. The PLASTIC crome door handles feel lighter and cheaper than their non plastic counterparts. Maybe it's just me but I gave a tug on the chrome door handle and almost walked away from the dealership right there. The plastic chrome mirror caps have an odd hollow sounding "thunk" when you tap them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What are the black ones made of? The H3 that my dealer ordered doesn't have the chrome package but I really like the look of the chrome, so I wanted to upgrade.. can the black handles be polished or chromed? Are the chrome ones really that bad?

timgco
05-26-2005, 01:10 AM
... eeheeeeemmmm.

!!!!!!!!!!!!! HEY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Excuse me? Someone promised pics. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

skeeter
05-26-2005, 01:59 AM
Hey Killian, Congrats..... the Sewell staff is top notch. I know they treated me like a King, when I bought mine. Ofcourse they got to see me alot when I was waiting for the H3's to come in. Sewell will be the number one volume Hummer dealer in the country most likely. I am like you, The sunroof is great, if its not raining it's open, and the H3 is so much FUN to drive. ENJOY!!!!

Mike smith
05-26-2005, 02:16 AM
Hey Killian, I may be the one you had heard say the turning radius was bad , but I was refering to my GMC Canyon thinking they might be about the same. If your "rad" seems better- then great, maybe there are improvements over the canyon/colorado platform! Waiting to see for my self the differences when Kachina gets their alotment in..........

Mike smith
05-26-2005, 02:21 AM
Killian, just wondering, my Canyon makes a weird whistle sound when a/c is engaged. Did you experience anything weird noises like that? Since the a/c should be identical thought maybe they might not of come up with fix for it. I belong to Coloradofans.com and often have heard similar complaints about the Colorado/Canyon.

killian
05-26-2005, 02:39 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by PhilD:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by killian:
The brush guard is hollow as well, did I expect it not to be? I think maybe so. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Just about every brushguard I've ever seen is hollow, so that is normal. 1/8" wall pipe is pretty common.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The strut assisted back door is nice but the cargo area is a little smaller than I expected. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>How did you find the swing of the tail gate? On the demo I lloked at it swumg way too fast and could easily injure someone, especially a child. But it could just have been that one.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The 33's didn't whine at all on the freeway, </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Wouldn't expect them to make a noise, they are a mild AT and I would expect them to be very quiet.

Congratulations on your purchase, enjoy http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I mis spoke about the brush guard. I knew that it would be hollow, what I didn't expect was the opening at the top to show that it was hollow. The brush guard on the H2 is hollow, but it has a somewhat solid appearance. On the H3 it just looks a little cheesy because you can see that it's hollow at the top. Does that make sense?

The swing of the tailgate is slow and controlled. Not too fast, not too slow, just right. Sort of like the speed of the lift up gate on the H2. Skeeter, do you agree?
If and when the strut goes out, the gate will become a deadly weapon.

killian
05-26-2005, 02:46 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike smith:
Killian, just wondering, my Canyon makes a weird whistle sound when a/c is engaged. Did you experience anything weird noises like that? Since the a/c should be identical thought maybe they might not of come up with fix for it. I belong to Coloradofans.com and often have heard similar complaints about the Colorado/Canyon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Zero noise from the A/c with the exception of normal fan blowing. I did however encounter an odd thing: Somewhere in west Texas I turned the A/c on only to have it spit water from all of the vents. It only lasted about 20 seconds but it freaked me out pretty good. I'm chalking it up to the high humidity and condensation. Anybody have any thoughts on this one?

DRTYFN
05-26-2005, 02:58 AM
I'd rather see pictures of the new toy.

Killian, admitting to giggling "like a school girl" isn't the best visual. Ear to ear grin is more like it.

Now hurry the F up with the pics before I call BS.

H3 Buyer to be?
05-26-2005, 03:04 AM
Let me say this, Killian is the coolest guy, and this website is sweeet. I actually took him up on the offer, and sat in the H3, and checked the thing out.

I am soooo excited that I ordered one, and hope I sell my car before the 26th so I dont have to trade it in. I want my H3 sooner, and I will go to Sewell as well without trade. F LEGEND and LUND...

The rear cargo door was awesome, opened very easily and closed just as easily. Killian thought the rear was a tad small but if you are carrying anything bigger the seats lay down very easily, and makes for lots of room! The side steps in chrome are very cool, and the interior with the dual color is very very good looking. The interior as I have heard many times here is not very GM (good thing) and the stearing wheel feels like it was made for me.

The exterior is larger in appearance than I thought, and will easily be mistaken for an H2. It looks nothing like a Jeep Liberty which had been a concern of mine. The stock wheels look cool, and scream hummer which I like alot.

I think we are all going to love these things, and now if we could just get some coming in :-)

I really want to say thank you again to Killian for allowing me to take a glance, I am sure you will be turning heads wherever you go around here in sunny PHX!

DRTYFN
05-26-2005, 03:09 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by H3 Buyer to be?:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
So when you came up with that screen name did you give any thought to the future, like AFTER you bought an H3? Just wondering.http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

killian
05-26-2005, 03:28 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeLeon:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Oh, you know what else I suggest? Don't order the chrome package. The PLASTIC crome door handles feel lighter and cheaper than their non plastic counterparts. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

What are the black ones made of? The H3 that my dealer ordered doesn't have the chrome package but I really like the look of the chrome, so I wanted to upgrade.. can the black handles be polished or chromed? Are the chrome ones really that bad? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yes, the gray handles are plastic too. What I meant to say is that it almost felt as though they used a different grade of plastic on the chrome version.

Out of the 5 H3s on the lot, all of them had loose door handles, mine included. Loose meaning that they felt like they would come off if you yanked on them hard enough. The H3 with the chrome package was the first H3 that I had seen in person. I tugged on the door handle but it was locked. The handle felt light weight, wobbly and cheap. I almost walked off the lot right then. In disbelief, I tried the other H3s without the chrome habdles and while they were loose feeling, they somehow felt more sturdy in design. I could be wrong but they felt half as sturdy and the non chrome version.

Hey builder, any idea? Is the plastic different or was I just jet lagged?

All that said, The chrome looks nice, Just don't touch it.

H3 Buyer to be?
05-26-2005, 03:32 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DRTYFN:
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>
So when you came up with that screen name did you give any thought to the future, like AFTER you bought an H3? Just wondering.http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well... uhhhh no I did not. Damn, back to the drawing board. LOL

DeLeon
05-26-2005, 03:48 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The H3 with the chrome package was the first H3 that I had seen in person. I tugged on the door handle but it was locked. The handle felt light weight, wobbly and cheap. I almost walked off the lot right then </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Killian,

Thanks a lot for your reply... so... what made you change your mind? I mean... I know that the over-all look of the truck could have but what do you think about the door handles now? Is there a way to make them stonger or you just have to keep your hands off them http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif WTF?! They are door HANDLES?! Aren't you supposed to touch those things all the time?! LOL

PS. Are you in Scottsdale or Phoenix?

killian
05-26-2005, 04:29 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by firm:
How long is that trip? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Roughly 18 hours total drive time. (?) We lost about 2 hours outside of Dallas where there was a serious roll over accident with what we believe was atleast one fatality and they closed the freeway. Once we were on the road we only stopped for fuel and to switch drivers.

We kept the radio on the same XM station the whole time. You gotta love it: 3 states and no signal loss.

killian
05-26-2005, 04:42 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DeLeon:
Hey Killian,

Thanks a lot for your reply... so... what made you change your mind? I mean... I know that the over-all look of the truck could have but what do you think about the door handles now? Is there a way to make them stonger or you just have to keep your hands off them http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif WTF?! They are door HANDLES?! Aren't you supposed to touch those things all the time?! LOL

PS. Are you in Scottsdale or Phoenix? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm in Phoenix. Off of I-17 and Glendale Avenue.

The non chrome handles just felt more sturdy. I don't know, maybe I'm on crack. After looking at the non chrome version I calmed down a little.

There's a small, black rubber cap on the edge of the door, I guessing that behind that cap I'll find a 10mm bolt. I'm going to try and tighten it a half turn or so and see if the handle tightens. It's not crazy - loose, it's just mildly annoying. The chrome ones were crazy - loose just on one side.

After looking at everything this vehicle has to offer, I couldn't let a little thing like loose door handles put me off. That's why they make JB weld! But seriously, I can see this being an issue later down the road if it's not addressed now.

DeLeon
05-26-2005, 05:02 AM
Hey Killian,

I'm 4 hours away from you (near Yuma, AZ), if I hadn't that much work I would go up there to see your truck, I guess I'll just have to wait to get mine http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

So anyway, let's hope you can fix those door handles, I'm thinking that perhaps the dealer installed those door handles and that's why the bolts weren't that tight?? http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif

Well, that will not make me change my decision either but I want to get the chrome handles :-\

Thanks for all the info man, see you around!