PDA

View Full Version : 2008 Leaky Gasket - 7500 miles

The Ledge
03-14-2008, 04:26 AM
Radiator coolant bottomed out on me a month ago and after topping it off I spent the past few weeks monitoring the levels and replenishing for allowance of air bubbles. There have been no physical signs of leakage under the hood or left on my garage floor or parking lot surfaces. I picked up on the smell of coolant vaporizing through my exhaust in the mornings and realized it was a bit more serious. And finally today at the dealership a dye test was successful but a compression test confirmed my suspicions of a leaky gasket. Fix to be done within the next few days. Can any of you suggest some more questions I can pose when I followup with them tommorrow to assure that this is not the start of more headaches to come? Would a compression test or any other test dilineate a cracked head or engine block vs a leaky gasket? I just want to be sure they are not bandaiding the fix. Thanks in advance.

**Wrong forum was meant for the Tech Area - Admins please move**

pdsq99f4
03-18-2008, 05:29 AM
If the compression test confirmed low compression, your coolant loss is most likely due to a headgasket. A cracked block or head would probably not show up on a compression test. I bet you'll be fine after it's fixed, you have a 100,000 powertrain warranty anyway.

The Ledge
03-18-2008, 03:34 PM
Good to hear. Thanks for the feedback. Dealer still has it. Will followup with them on status today.