PDA

View Full Version : Just saw this on TV !!!

RubHer Yellow Ducky
04-30-2008, 01:24 PM
I just saw this on T.V. concerning the age of tires and the safety of tires over 6 years old.

If you look at the long line of small letters broken into 3 to 5 groups on a single line at the end will be 4 numbers. The first 2 numbers are the week of the year the tires were manufactured and the lat 2 numbers are the year.

example: 1501
means the 15th week of 2001 (sometime in March)

The info delt with safety of tires, natural aging, exposure to the sun and elements all of which effect the ultimate safety of the tire.

I don't know the ins and outs of the safety factor but found the info interesting...

any comments (that are about THIS SUBJECT) !

BKLYNH2
04-30-2008, 02:02 PM
So great disposer of infinite wisdom. How old is too old for a tire?

That would be the point of dispensing this info, no?:orly:

RubHer Yellow Ducky
04-30-2008, 02:28 PM
So great disposer of infinite wisdom. How old is too old for a tire?

That would be the point of dispensing this info, no?:orly:

do you just not read or are you plain "#$^*(*(_)(&$%"

"I just saw this on T.V. concerning the age of tires and the safety of tires over 6 years old"

BKLYNH2
04-30-2008, 03:31 PM
Glad you added that to the post it really clears things up now. :clapping:

SnakeH2
04-30-2008, 04:01 PM
Did watching that cause you to fill your Depends????
:fdance:

RubHer Yellow Ducky
04-30-2008, 05:22 PM
Glad you added that to the post it really clears things up now. :clapping:

if you read, you do read don't you, the original post you will see there is "NO EDIT"

the term 6 years or older was there from the beginning...I don't know about you young maggot farts , your quick to jump on me for being old but you guys have no common sense... or much of anything else...that includes "forked tongue also..."

Big Dad
04-30-2008, 05:29 PM
RYD, I have a book I'm sending your way....

BKLYNH2
04-30-2008, 05:30 PM
I see your on a tear again today. :popcorn:

Big Dad
04-30-2008, 05:34 PM
Well, maybe two....

It depends on whether or not you can take a hint....

RubHer Yellow Ducky
04-30-2008, 07:32 PM
Well, maybe two....

It depends on whether or not you can take a hint....

OH YES, send me the one about the HO !!!

RubHer Yellow Ducky
04-30-2008, 07:47 PM
DAD,

Let me ask you a question...how should i have answered his statement, if at all...? (about adding the "over 6 years" which was there from the beginning)

SnakeH2
04-30-2008, 08:23 PM
young maggot farts , your quick to jump on me for being old but you guys have no common sense... or much of anything else...that includes "forked tongue also..."

There you go...it's been a while since you used that one. Good to have ya back.
:)

BKLYNH2
04-30-2008, 08:29 PM
DAD,

Let me ask you a question...how should i have answered his statement, if at all...? (about adding the "over 6 years" which was there from the beginning)
:popcorn:

H3slate
05-01-2008, 01:48 AM
Sorry ryd, but it was not very clear. Yes you mentioned six years and the word safety, but you did not specify what the hazard was to having six year old tires.

Will they explode? Steal my money? What if you have plenty of tread and you park in a garage? Still a problem?

Any links to a website with info?

RubHer Yellow Ducky
05-01-2008, 02:21 AM
Sorry ryd, but it was not very clear. Yes you mentioned six years and the word safety, but you did not specify what the hazard was to having six year old tires.

Will they explode? Steal my money? What if you have plenty of tread and you park in a garage? Still a problem?

Any links to a website with info?

no link but i'm looking...

it was on the TODAY show...stated that the rubber and/or other products in the tire reach a point where breakdown of the finished products starts at 6 years from the date of manufacturer. This is an appx point. Stated that it didn't matter if it were on the road, in a garage, in a warehouse or what...

Granted almost no one has tires for 6 years but advise people should check the date on their current tires and when purchasing new tires. They said although there is a small chance you would ever buy one that old there is still a chance...

H3slate
05-01-2008, 02:36 AM
Thanks ryd.

Big Dad
05-01-2008, 05:30 AM
...it was on the TODAY show...

No excuse necessary...this explains everything!

But I do have to ask...are you sure they weren't wishing you a happy 106th birthday for a second time...in case you didn't hear it right the first time?!!

Is it starting to make sense? Rubber tire for a gut....

:jump:

BKLYNH2
05-01-2008, 01:08 PM
LMFAO:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :giggling: :giggling: :giggling:

RubHer Yellow Ducky
05-01-2008, 01:20 PM
No excuse necessary...this explains everything!

But I do have to ask...are you sure they weren't wishing you a happy 106th birthday for a second time...in case you didn't hear it right the first time?!!

Is it starting to make sense? Rubber tire for a gut....

:jump:

HUH !!!

RubHer Yellow Ducky
06-05-2008, 06:46 PM
http://www.aa1car.com/library/tire_date_code_3s.jpg (http://www.aa1car.com/library/tire_date_code_3b.jpg)
Click photo to see larger image of date code

DETERMINING TIRE DATE CODES
How old are the tires on your vehicle? The date of manufacture is indicated by the last group of digits in the DOT manufacture code on the sidewall of the tire. The number is often stamped in a recessed rectangle. The DOT code tells who manufactured the tire, where it was made and when. The last group of digits in the code is the date code that tells when the tire was made.
Before 2000, the date code had three digits. Since 2000, it has had four. The first two digits are the week of the year (01 = the first week of January). The third digit (for tires made before 2000) is the year (1 = 1991). For most tires made after 2000, the third and fourth digits are the year (04 = 2004).
In the photo above, the date code is 8PY806. The 8PY is a manufacturing shift code, and the date the tire was actually made was 0806, which is the 8th week (08)in the year 2006 (06).
The date of manufacture is essential information for car owners and tire buyers because tires deteriorate even if they are not used. European automobile manufacturers recommend replacing ANY tire that is more than six (6) years old, including the spare tire. No such recommendations have yet been made by domestic vehicle manufacturers.