PDA

View Full Version : What Can I Do?

DavidAragon
10-27-2004, 02:08 AM
Hi,

I live in a town where the closest Hummer dealer is 1,000 miles away (by jet). My GM dealer has pretty much stopped returning my calls. My z-height is only about 4" (the book says it's supposed to be 4.5").

The right torsion screw is already screwed all the way in and the left is only about half way in so it has a lot of room to play with...

The GM dealer said he would look into it and call me back on Monday and it's Wed... (I have a great working relationship with them don't I?)

What can I do? My warranty is up in 1k miles and like I mentioned the only true hummer dealer is 1,000 (sky) miles away...

From how I understand the torsion bar adjustments, I should be able to take out the right bar, turn it, re-insert it and then make adjustments to the screw to rise/lower the z-height...

Should I just do this myself - any comments???

Thanks,
David

DavidAragon
Hi,

I live in a town where the closest Hummer dealer is 1,000 miles away (by jet). My GM dealer has pretty much stopped returning my calls. My z-height is only about 4" (the book says it's supposed to be 4.5").

The right torsion screw is already screwed all the way in and the left is only about half way in so it has a lot of room to play with...

The GM dealer said he would look into it and call me back on Monday and it's Wed... (I have a great working relationship with them don't I?)

What can I do? My warranty is up in 1k miles and like I mentioned the only true hummer dealer is 1,000 (sky) miles away...

From how I understand the torsion bar adjustments, I should be able to take out the right bar, turn it, re-insert it and then make adjustments to the screw to rise/lower the z-height...

Thanks,
David

DavidAragon
Hi,

Thanks,
David

KenP
10-27-2004, 03:48 AM
David, I would be having a fit with GM. Isn't there another GM/GMC/Pontiac/etc dealer in the area? If so, take it to them and they should be able to handle it. You must be in Europe... Or Africa. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif I'm getting pissed thinking about it....

The issue is not whether you can make the adjustment yourself, but should you. And the consequences that go with your decision. Put the ball in GM's court.

PARAGON
10-27-2004, 12:22 PM
Had a similar problem. One was screwed all the way in but the other was screwed out pretty far. My dealer determined the one screwed all the way in was weak and they replaced it.

If you make any changes to the torsion bars you will need to get an alignment done. So, if you can get the dealer to send you a new torsion bar and you replace it yourself, you'll need to have some place that can align the front end.

DavidAragon
10-27-2004, 12:22 PM
Hi,
Thanks for the feedback.

I live in Juneau, Alaska. We have about 6 H2 SUVs and 1 SUT (in a town of 30k people...) so I really think that this GM dealer needs to realize what they have here, it's not like I'm the only one that will ever need help...

ALL GM dealers should be Hummer trained. Heck, they didn't even give the 'front end alingment (FEA) guy' the Hummer FEA instructions... I had to print them out myself off the web.

Does anyone know the number to a GM major supervisor or something, I don't mind calling my local GM dealers Boss... whatever I need to do to make these guys do their job.

Thanks,
David

Hummertech
10-27-2004, 08:46 PM
David,

Hummertech
10-27-2004, 08:53 PM
David,
1st of all let me explain GM warranty.
If you make an appt. with a dealer before you are out of warranty, but don't get in before you are out of mileage, the dealer will still warranty it, no questions asked. If you have a complaint looked at under warranty, and they don't fix it right, or even if they don't attempt to fix it, and then you go out of warranty, the dealership still has to fix it under warranty. GM dealers also have the right to warranty a repair within a certain extent after you are out of warranty. It varies how much from dealer to dealer, depending on their relationship with GM. And finally, other GM dealers are allowed to do warranty work on your Hummer. This is discouraged if there is a Hummer dealership just down the road, but in your situation this is normal. Just go to your nearest dealership with this info, and ask them to take care of this. You also have the option of calling the Hummer customer service phone number. They can call your local dealership and order them to warranty something, if they feel it is justified. Just before you go in, look your truck over good so you can catch anything that needs to be warrantied now.
Good luck.

DavidAragon
10-28-2004, 12:56 AM
Hi,
Thanks - I think I'll make an appt on each and every part on my truck! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I think that I will call Hummer customer service though... that probably couldn't hurt.

I called them today and they didn't return my call... http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_mad.gif

Thanks!