PDA

View Full Version : Changing the oil

HummerJim
10-25-2008, 03:32 PM
3446 miles, love my H2 and not a single problem. Even though it says 45% oil life remaining, I'm going to change the oil before winter sets in. I like changing my own oil & using Mobil 1 Synthetic, even though I have a dealer coupon for a reduced rate. I picked up a filter and the oil and got under the beast.
It looks to me like the engine oil drain is the bolt (5/8 inch?) behind the aft end of the skid plate, but, am I blind or in need of stronger glasses? Where in the #!#* is the oil filter and how hard is it to get off? 6 qts with the filter?

porschett
10-25-2008, 04:14 PM
I'd advise against using synthetic until you hit 10K miles. The main reason for this is to allow the rings to seat. Synthetic is just too slippery until this process is complete. About 10 years ago, Porsche was installing it in all their cars from the factory, and still is today (Due to a licsensing agreement with Mobil 1). Suddenly, they had numerous cars coming back with engine problems. Porsche dealers now drain the oil before delivery and use standard 10/40.

jaxtrip
10-25-2008, 04:31 PM
The filter is at the rear of the engine, you need to remove the skid plate and you will see it.

I love doing my own oil on my cars, however I've only done the h2 myself one time as Its really a pain to remove the skid and then you will need to deflect the draining oil with a piece of cardboard or something as the flow will put oil everywhere on the undercarriage protection.

JiffyLube is my friend for the H2 as they do all the oil (Mobile1 synth) new filter, AND they do all the grease fittings for the whole vehicle for less than I would pay for a case of oil and filter on my own.:D

o2man98
10-25-2008, 05:02 PM
I'd advise against using synthetic until you hit 10K miles. The main reason for this is to allow the rings to seat. Synthetic is just too slippery until this process is complete. About 10 years ago, Porsche was installing it in all their cars from the factory, and still is today (Due to a licsensing agreement with Mobil 1). Suddenly, they had numerous cars coming back with engine problems. Porsche dealers now drain the oil before delivery and use standard 10/40.

BS!!! You can was synthetic at anytime regardless of the myths out there. I install it between 500 and 1000 miles on all my new vehicles. I just built a big bore stroker Harley V-Rod and fill it with Amsoil synthetic before it was even in the frame. I have yet to have to add any oil and it is making excellent HP.

HummerMann
10-25-2008, 05:07 PM
The filter requires you to take the skid plate off to change it the easiest, unless you want to try and slash your wrist on the skid plate and burn your hand on the exhaust. I use 5.8 qts with the filter change. If you have a home air compressor and impact wrench you can do it in 30 minutes, otherwise I'd go to a Jiffy Lube or at the dealer.
I have to agree with Porschett on the synthetic oil. I had a factory new 1993 ZR1 Corvette that had the decal on the engine from the factory - ONLY USE MOBIL 1 SYNTHETIC. I bought mine in June 1993 and by that time the dealers were replacing the synthetic with regular oil as they got off the truck for break in and recommending not using the synthetic until you had 8,000 miles on the engine, because of piston ring problems. GM eventually came out with a bulletin on it. Boy, I wish I still had that car - it was F A S T!

porschett
10-26-2008, 12:31 AM
BS!!! You can was synthetic at anytime regardless of the myths out there. I install it between 500 and 1000 miles on all my new vehicles. I just built a big bore stroker Harley V-Rod and fill it with Amsoil synthetic before it was even in the frame. I have yet to have to add any oil and it is making excellent HP.

I wish you the best, but I stick with my recommendation. I have always changed the oil in a new car at 500 miles, to get rid of any metal shavings. I also wait until 10K miles to use synthetic. I'm pushing nearly 800BHP in the Twin Turbo and it's never used a drop of oil!

Marauder
10-26-2008, 01:53 AM

Synthetic oil is a personal preference. But calling engine break in a myth is not smart. Your engine may make good hp but you should at least break it in with regular, non detergent oil to promote ring seal.

Even Royal Purple now has a specific oil for break in. If synthetic was ok for break in, they wouldnt do create a product like that.

jmsspratlin
10-26-2008, 02:28 PM
I guess my H2 is unique b/c the oil filter is not that hard to get to. I always change my own oil and filter w/o any problems. I have never had to remove the skid plate.

jroman201
10-26-2008, 04:01 PM
I never had to remove the skid plate but I agree it would be a little bit easier to get to the filter...but too much trouble to get the skid back on I am guessing...so I never tried...lol...

Intercooled
10-26-2008, 04:44 PM
I just go to Valvoline oil/lube center. They do a good job. $30 and its has new oil, new filter and full lube on all grease fittings. I just had them change out the front and rear diff fluid last trip. For the money its not worth my aggrevation.

jroman201
10-26-2008, 04:51 PM
I just go to Valvoline oil/lube center. They do a good job. $30 and its has new oil, new filter and full lube on all grease fittings. I just had them change out the front and rear diff fluid last trip. For the money its not worth my aggrevation.

sounds like a good deal...how much to change out the diffs...???

Intercooled
10-26-2008, 11:02 PM
sounds like a good deal...how much to change out the diffs...???
$50/ diff, so $100 to do both of them. I only have 20K miles on her but the previouse owner flat towed the SUT behind thier camper bus. So i had no idea how many miles were on the diffs. Glad i did it, the lube looked a bit wore out and there were some metal shavings in there.

jroman201
10-26-2008, 11:38 PM
$50/ diff, so $100 to do both of them. I only have 20K miles on her but the previouse owner flat towed the SUT behind thier camper bus. So i had no idea how many miles were on the diffs. Glad i did it, the lube looked a bit wore out and there were some metal shavings in there.

good thing ya got it done...thanks for the info...

CUZICAN
10-27-2008, 12:21 AM
Good luck to all of you who use Jiffy Lube for your oil changes. I will never trust them to change the oil on any of my cars again. Just before going on a long road trip I had them change the oil. When I stopped for gas after having about 300 or 400 miles I checked the oil and to my surprise I was about a quart low. Filled it up and continued on my way. about 180 miles later I made it to my destination and parked it for the night. When I pulled out the next morning there was a puddle of oil underneath my car. I had it towed to a mechanic and it turned out that when Jiffy Lube took off the old filter the rubber gasket peeled off and then put the new filter over top. Part of the old gasket broke off and the oil was leaking out from that spot. When I made Jiffy Lube aware of their mistake the response I got was a voucher for a free oil change. Now I either change my own oil or take my vehicle to the dealership.

Intercooled
10-27-2008, 01:17 AM
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. But I'm not sold on dealership work either. I just had my work truck worked on. The hydroboost brake part went bad and had it replaced. Also my check engine light has been on for 9 months with no luck from the local mechanic to figure out the porblem. The Dealership diagnosed a bad MAF sensor and to replace the Hydroboost part. Got the truck back and brake pedal still has alot of travel with not much difference in better braking. And my check engine light came back on 2 days later!!! I dont think these guys thoroughly check anything let alone take the truck out for a test drive. All they do today is replace parts and send it on its way!

HummerJim
10-28-2008, 12:41 AM
It was a nice fall day so I changed the oil today. Took 30 minutes with 6 qts of 5w-30, and I didn't have to remove the skid plate to get to the oil filter. I found it hiding up high just behind the skid plate and got to it with no problem, just a little arm twisting. I put a plastic bag around it to keep the oil from running on everything when I spun it off. I also found out that you can reset the oil life by pressing the reset button on the steering wheel (--> from one of the older posts on here) instead of pressing the accelerator three times like the book says.
There's so much good info on this forum, you just have to dig through some of the refuse to get to it.

blackhawk29
11-04-2008, 04:35 AM
why even bother changing it... I don't. do you think the dealer cares when you trade it in? I think the 3k oil change interval was thought up by the oil companys to sell more oil. This stuff lasts longer than you think. i had a suburban that racked up 245K on it with only a few oil changes here and there. that thing ran great till the day i sold it, no burning oil and no leaks !
:raar:

liquidsilver
01-27-2009, 07:56 PM
Wow this place was more helpful than the Hummer forums. Anybody use this http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/bf.aspx?zo=1355947?

Guinnessboy
01-28-2009, 04:13 AM
I wish you the best, but I stick with my recommendation. I have always changed the oil in a new car at 500 miles, to get rid of any metal shavings. I also wait until 10K miles to use synthetic. I'm pushing nearly 800BHP in the Twin Turbo and it's never used a drop of oil!

you are 100% correct....i had a dodge ram srt10 with the viper engine and before i could drive the car off the lot the service manager dropped the oil and replaced it wish 10/30....told me to come in at 1K to get an oil change, once again at 5K, and finally at 8K switched me back to synthetic.

TGCOFTN
01-31-2009, 01:20 AM
My 2007 H2 has 27,000 miles on it, and I use nothing but Synthetic Oil. No problems at all with it.
My 2008 has 8,000 miles on the factory oil, and still has 19% Oil Life Remaining. I dont change my oil until it says its ready. Changing oil at 3,000 or 4,000 miles is a waste of money. The way the engines are built now days, they are clean burning, they are not like the olden days where you put 3,000 miles on it, and the oil is JET BLACK........my 07 I can put 4,000 miles on it and its still clear. With my 08, I am should be able to get up to 9,500---10,000 miles on the factory oil before I change it. Everyone has there own preference, and I am sure people will bash me on this and say you need to change your oil sooner, but each and everyone has there own preference. Some like regular unleaded, others like Premium (which is all I use Shell V-Power) and I use Synthetic Oil.
For me........if your life oil meter says 45% your throwing your money away by changing it now.