PDA

View Full Version : cure for ice in center of windshield!!

unaslob
12-20-2004, 11:58 PM
Has anybody found a good cure for the snow and ice that accumulates in the center-bottom portion of the windshield. As the right wiper brings across snow while driving, then the left one smashes it into a nice little pile...

I have to run the defroster on HIGH at 90 to even make it tolerable (it still accumulates)

I have tried putting a piece of cardboard to 'shunt' the air lower on the windshield with some efficacy.

it happens with even semi-light snow. it is really annoying

I have been trying to fashion a peice of heat tape that would plug into the 12V adapter. is this too crazy to work on.

I hate having to pull over on a snow ride to pull the snow and ice off the windshield.

unaslob

unaslob
Has anybody found a good cure for the snow and ice that accumulates in the center-bottom portion of the windshield. As the right wiper brings across snow while driving, then the left one smashes it into a nice little pile...

I have to run the defroster on HIGH at 90 to even make it tolerable (it still accumulates)

I have tried putting a piece of cardboard to 'shunt' the air lower on the windshield with some efficacy.

I have been trying to fashion a peice of heat tape that would plug into the 12V adapter. is this too crazy to work on.

I hate having to pull over on a snow ride to pull the snow and ice off the windshield.

unaslob

unaslob

unaslob

RIC-H0
12-21-2004, 12:05 AM
I wonder if placing a handwarmer pack there would help any?
I use them when I go hunting, and they last for atleast 10hrs, and get pretty warm!

It's worth a try!

Ric-H2

unaslob
12-21-2004, 12:18 AM
that is worth a shot. it will certainly take less time then some of my other ideas and cheaper.

I have never had this happen with any other cars. I thought it was due to the upright angle of the windshield, but it doenst happent with my girlfriend's jeep at all.

I am wondering if there is something that I can add to the top of the brush guard to disrupt the airflow, the jeep does have a bra on it with one of those ripples on the front to do that.

unaslob

Black 05
12-21-2004, 01:48 AM
Hi
I am working on an air operated device that will move both wiper blades 3" away from the windshield and will snap back to the windshild to break off any ice buildup. I should have it perfected by the end of January. There is also heated windshield wipers on the market and also heated windshield wiper fluid, called Hotshot. It was shown on the H2 at the GM booth at SEMA this year.

GeorgeSSSS
12-23-2004, 10:30 PM
Unaslob

I was rattling around the internet and saw an article that described a "heated windshield" as a new feature on the 2004 H2. If you have something earlier than a 2004, maybe there is a retrofit available. If you have a 2004 or later, the heated windshield obviously doesn't work.

Maybe someone who has a 2004 or later H2 can give some intel about the heated windshield.

Hope this helps,

George

Black 05
12-24-2004, 12:46 AM
I haven't heard of a heated windshield.

GeorgeSSSS
12-24-2004, 02:00 AM
My mistake guys. The heated windshield was added to the H1 in 2004, not the H2. Maybe that tells us something though.

DRTYFN
12-24-2004, 06:11 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GeorgeSSSS:
My mistake guys. The heated windshield was added to the H1 in 2004, not the H2. Maybe that tells us something though. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, not to listen to you.http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

unaslob
12-24-2004, 12:29 PM
it is amazing how fast the snow and ice can accumulate there. on the interstate during heavy snow or ice, i would probably have to pull over every 5-10 miles. I cant be the only one that has this problem!!!

What have some of you others done to combat this. I am going to try the wiper fluid that 'eats ice' that will certainly help. i have tried that before but I really ran through the stuff. We have had great winters (by which I mean lots of snow) the past few years...
so far this year is a bust!

unaslob

ssgharkness020147
12-24-2004, 03:03 PM
Heated windshields are great, despite the fact that one of mine is not working right now. The ice melts right off it also helps keep snow from accumelating above the wipers (very nice on the H1 with those stupid wipers). Here's the downside: The cost. If you crack one and your insurance does not cover it there goes around 750.00 of your hard earned dollars. That 750.00 is for one windshield not both.

GeorgeSSSS
12-24-2004, 04:11 PM
Here's a link to a heated washer fluid system that I found on the internet.

http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/HotShot/hotshot.php

I wonder about squirting hot washer fluid on cold glass though -- -- any chance of cracking the glass?

Andre
12-24-2004, 08:04 PM
try this.....LMFAO

LasVegas
12-26-2004, 03:23 AM
Sure fire cure for ice on the windshield...Live in Las Vegas!

GeorgeSSSS
12-27-2004, 01:03 AM
Unaslob

I found this cigarette lighter outlet powered 200 watt instant defroster on the internet.

http://www.vectormfg.com/site2/vectormfg/product_info.php?products_id=118

The link is to the manufacturer -- -- I don't know if they sell direct. I saw it elsewhere on the internet for $25 or more. If you decide to try it, let us know how it works.

Another possibility would be a short section of 12 volt electrical heating tape. I know it exists, but I don't know where to get it.

Good luck,

George

RIC-H0
12-27-2004, 01:27 AM
Hey...
This may be a new job for the trunk Monkey! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
He may need a Monkey Jacket, and monkey ear muffs, but he's not doing anything while the car is moving anyway!
Sounds like it's time for a new
"Windshield Monkey" Commercial! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Ric-H2

KenP
12-27-2004, 03:38 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Postd by Ric:
This may be a new job for the trunk Monkey! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Hummer Man hasn't been here for awhile.http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/otn/laughing/icon_smile_lachuh.gif

unaslob
12-29-2004, 11:39 PM
i think that the heat tape would be a great idea. I cant stand it. in my mind, it is a obvious design flaw. I am going to go with the de-icing fluid. and keep a spare in the trunk for when I am on a trip.

unaslob

cck
01-06-2005, 12:03 PM
ask your dealer about heated windsheild wipers. problem solved

RI Hummer
01-06-2005, 01:23 PM
I just purchased a set from here:
Everblades (http://www.everblades.com/index.htm)
I'm looking for a GM style push button switch with a heated windshield symbol to use below by rear wiper control. Anyone know of a GM part # or GM vehicle model and make switch that will work here? A rectangle 1/2" by 5/8" or a round size similar to the TC hummer button would work.

RI Hummer

Blade icing was rather bad due to the snow today but I love the Hummer in the snow!

GeorgeSSSS
01-06-2005, 05:14 PM
Is there anyone who's had problems with ice build-up on the windshield that installed heated wiper blades and found that to solve the problem? I haven't seen that expressed yet.

Thanks,

George

unaslob
01-06-2005, 10:39 PM
hey george... my brother lives in manhattan beach Cali... the world gets smaller and smaller every day...

unaslob

Hum2
01-08-2005, 06:58 PM
Just had the miserable ice build-up during this last snowstorm, what a pain...had to get out every 6 blocks to knock the ice off the wipers, even though I'm sweating inside. I bought a couple of 12v ceramic auto heaters that I will be trying with the next storm, they were from Harbor Tools. Cheap, but may work if I set them on the dash and let them run in the areas that freeze over. GM ought to be fixing this blatent design flaw....but I'm sure it's way down on the list, maybe even lower than wheels falling off? :-)

Ric

GeorgeSSSS
01-09-2005, 01:28 AM
Friends:

While unsuccessfully trying to find 12 volt heated electrical tape to remove the ice buildup at the center bottom of the H2 windshield, I discovered that amature astronomers use 12 volt flexible heated electrical strips to heat their telescopes to remove dew buildup at elevation at night. The strips are not sticky and they are insulated on one side so the heat goes out the other. The strips come in various sizes and shapes and must be used with temperature controllers that plug into a 12 volt car cigarette lighter power source. I won't be able to experiment with this until late October when I go hunting in the Utah mountains. If someone else wants to give it a shot before that, here are some links that I found.

http://www.digitalastronomy.com/html/telescope_dew_controllers___ta.asp

http://www.kendrick-ai.com/astro/dewremover.html#StandardController

http://www.camcor.com/cgi-bin/bcatalog.cgi/area=tel&id=1048105533

The main questions, it seems to me, are whether these things get hot enough to help and whether the draw on the car battery is significant (I doubt the latter). I couldn't find any astronomers to answer my questions because, according to my neighbor who is really into astro telescopes, dew removal systems are needed more on the east coast than here in California.

If no one wants to try this themselves, I'm going to work on it starting in about September.

Unaslob: Manhattan Beach is exactly 4 square miles. The world truly is a small place.

Best regards,

George

ROX
01-09-2005, 08:07 PM
I read the entire manual on how to run the stupid defroster on my H2 and Concluded that GM forgot how to build the simple things. I leave the defroster on manual control, At a tolerable temperature, ALL THE TIME. I also keep the fan turned up so the air moves across the window better.

My problem spot is the passenger side wiper doesn't get enough air flow to keep the wiper from freezing. I think a beefy set of wiper blades will solve most of my problems though. Good luck and let us know what works. I like the handwarmer idea.

LasVegas
01-09-2005, 08:21 PM
Works every time! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

RI Hummer
01-23-2005, 03:59 AM
OK, I just installed the Everblades heated wiper blade setup and the ice problem is GONE. This was certainly the test for the wipers if there was ever one. 15" of snow today and it's still coming down. I was almost out of gas (again) so I had to get out and fill her up tonight. If it wasn't for GPS I could not even tell where I was in the neighborhood. I actually past my own house because visibility is so bad here. Drifts are running four feet in places.

Anyway, I tested the new wiper setup by driving to the gas station and back (about 6 miles). While the rest of the Hummer was covered in 2" of snow even on the vertical surfaces the windshield remained completely clear. Only a small mound of ice buildup at the center and quite a bit of buildup at the drivers A pillar as the snow froze again when it was pushed off to that side but that did not hinder visibility. I had to keep the heat at full blast just to keep the side windows visible and even had to roll them down twice to clear them.

I would highly recommend them to anyone that drives in snow frequently, no more chipping snow and ice from the center of the windshield (I cracked a windshield once while clearing ice on a truck).

RI

GeorgeSSSS
01-23-2005, 03:21 PM
Outstanding.

RI: In your 1-5-05 post you said you were looking for a dash switch for the blade heater control. How did you handle that part of the installation?

Thanks for the road test result,

George

RI Hummer
01-23-2005, 09:19 PM
I found an oval switch at Pep-Boys, It's black with a blue LED light to show when it is on. The LED is a little brighter than I would like but it fitted below the rear wiper switch perfectly. My push button GM type switch would not work due to the lack of room behind the blank panel. It's actually part of the rear wiper switch. I'll post a picture later.

RI

RI Hummer
01-26-2005, 01:35 AM
Here is a picture of the switch and Wiper setup. I used electrical tape to hide the wiring from the wiper down the wiper arm. While you do not notice it from anywhere but close up (even driving it is hidden behind the wiper enough) I would like to find a neater cover for the arm. I tried heat shrink tubing but it would not wrap around the end of the arm. Any suggestions? Glueing up neoprene is a thought. It needs to be removable when the wiper needs replacement to access the electrical connectors at that point.
After using the switch for a few days now the brightness is actually OK. In bright sunlight you can tell when it is on which is a good thing. At night it helps light up the window switches and door lock as I prefer to drive with a fairly dim interior lighting on the gauges.
The wipers are a triple blade design and heating them up in these sub freezing temperatures (0-15 degrees) softens them up really well so they clean the windshield extremely well. I find myself turning them on for a minute or so before using the washer and they clean the windshield better on only one swipe than I have ever experienced before.

If you live in snowcountry BUY these NOW. You will not regret it. Best $80 I ever spent on a vehicle.

RI

RI Hummer
01-26-2005, 01:36 AM
Here's the switch.

KenP
01-26-2005, 02:22 AM
Did black gauges become standard in '05?

Nice wiper set up. If I needed them I would have to get them after reading this thread.

GeorgeSSSS
01-26-2005, 02:30 AM
Dynamite job RI. You've set the standard on this set up.

George

LasVegas
01-26-2005, 03:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KenP:
Did black gauges become standard in '05?

Nice wiper set up. If I needed them I would have to get them after reading this thread. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I like those black gauges too but I think he's added it. Check the chrome bezels around the A/C.

RI Hummer
01-26-2005, 03:52 AM
I added the chrome trim rings over the AC vents but the black gauges are standard.

RI

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
01-27-2005, 12:46 AM
RI Hummer is correct the gauges are factory on 05 H2. I got the chrome a/c rings also. Even for those who hate bling it is a nice touch to brighten up the inside of the 05.
Now Me I have roof handles billet, cup holder billet, door panels behind door handles billet, Order fixed door handle pulls billet, had chrome word Hummer laser cut to go on air bag cover one letter at a time. I got door sills chrome that light up blue with the Stealth Grey and say Hummer. Have lights to mount outside up in door handle slot that will come on when You use unlock button in blue. Billet with H2 cut into it for console door. I have a set of new solid billet complete gage outline bezel chromed with a new gauge face that the man of (you may know him but asked to not to use his name) Nu-image is designing and I will get the first one. It will enitionally be for 05 H2 only same as the chromed gauge bevel. I by accident helped find a flaw in a design for 05 H2 product way back in last spring when they tried to use a 04 H2 product for the 05. He said I saved Him a fortune in trouble with refunds. He asked what I wanted I said nothing unless when You redo the bevel I get it with the secret stuff and he said deal. You know alot of these big guys are not to bad. I think they were expecting Me to be all nasty etc. Anyways He will have it all done in about 3 weeks but will hold gauge face to sale in spring. I will get it immediately as He said He felt it would be hot at the show I have in March.
But for real It needs to Be Your personallity. I know I would Love Offroading but would need a seperate rig for that which most likely will happen but I can not give up lining up with 30 other H2's and find out everyone there voted You #1 H2 there and You many times win quite abit of money to pay for the crap you put on. They both have a rush each a different kind. Then I get to the fact I love to race so My Stealth Beauty is gone to have to get Her butt out there on a line after the super charger and race. It seems most everyone here is competitive in the threads You just in the way friends spar with each other. It does not mean what one guy is competitive most at is anymore important than our other forum buddies even if it nice to make fun and get made fun of.
(OK now comes the brown nosing part)
I appreciate all My H2 buddies and I think We are more alike than different although there are some that can smell a troll way sooner than the rest. I'm not sure what is up with that yet.
Thanks Gang

TAZ

RI Hummer
03-09-2005, 07:53 PM
Update on the heated wiper blades:

The cold really does a number on the wiring to make it brittle and so last week the connection finally snapped and the blades stopped working. Three of the four wires are now broken where they flex the most. My solution for this is to replace the wires with a flexible coil cable so it can flex and will not put strain on the wires. I happened to have some nice coil cable from some overhead door controls that has lots of insulation over a 18ga two wire. It is similar to a heavy PA microphone coil. It should do the trick. I now have to order four new clips to retain the body panel as thet get trashed when removed.

An ice storm last night really showed how necessary they are.

GeorgeSSSS
03-13-2005, 03:19 PM
RI:

Please keep updating us on this. Many members live in snow country and others of us (like me) hunt in snow or ski. I think this is important safety info. I'm going to do my installation a little later this year before October hunting in Utah.

Thanks,

George

Boar-Ral
12-14-2005, 08:10 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Black 05:
Hi
I am working on an air operated device that will move both wiper blades 3" away from the windshield and will snap back to the windshild to break off any ice buildup. I should have it perfected by the end of January. There is also heated windshield wipers on the market and also heated windshield wiper fluid, called Hotshot. It was shown on the H2 at the GM booth at SEMA this year. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
That could work well. Last winter, I was visiting one of the local remote starter stores and they had an attachment for wipers that was essentially a motor with a weight, and when it would spin, it would snap the wiper rapidly, breaking the ice off. It looked neat, but I never looked much more into it.