PDA

View Full Version : Buying a used H2 that was former rental??

dallas007
11-25-2008, 11:04 PM
What are your thoughts on buying a 2008 H2 that was a former rental vehicle? Seems in great shape, low miles, and comes with 6 year 100,000 mile warranty. The gut says stay away as people tend to beat rentals but perhaps I am wrong.

brad_p
11-25-2008, 11:06 PM
Go for it if its well priced. They usually dont rent out premium suvs to your average person so it probably wasnt beat up at all.

Rico001
11-25-2008, 11:16 PM
If the price is right I would also say buy it.
The warranty good also so they must want
to stand behind it too. ~Richard

Intercooled
11-26-2008, 12:14 AM
Like the others have said, good price, good warrenty, go for it! Take good road test. Check out all the transmission settings and gears. As long as it wasnt in a bad accident anything can fixed under the warrenty. Get a car fax on it.

frenzy1
11-26-2008, 07:39 AM
Go for it if its well priced. They usually dont rent out premium suvs to your average person so it probably wasnt beat up at all.

:iagree:

HummerJim
11-26-2008, 03:26 PM
6 year/100,000 warranty sounds like Hummer Certified. Hummer Certified is hard to beat and if the price is right - GO FOR IT!

SnakeH2
11-26-2008, 03:55 PM
I wouldn't...but that's because I drive a lot of rentals. And if I had an H2 as a rental...OH NO!!!!

dallas007
11-27-2008, 04:17 AM
Thanks for all the feedback. I have decided not to go for it as I now find this was a rental in Hawaii and there is an unexplained brown material on the front frame and suspension. I am concerned that it is a corrosion issue and even the dealer does not know what it is. The price was fair but I do not want to have corrosion problems on a vehicle that is just a year old.

Thanks again for all the feedback. Had I known about he corrosion issue I would not have bothered you fine folks.

Tully
11-27-2008, 03:43 PM
I work for a software company as an engineer supporting their sales force. I drive typically 2-3 rental vehicles a month. I'll share this with you guys because I love you ;-) but NEVER - NEVER EVER buy a used rental car. Me and my coworkers have sent multiple vehicles back to the rental car lots on flat beds because of how much we've abused them.

We'll drive them for MILES in 1st gear with the e-brake engaged - on the highway (bucking/smoking/etc). Or be going 20-30mph and suddenly engage the e-brake to see how far we can slide the vehicle....etc etc etc

Seems ridiculous...but you have no idea how funny it is until people drive by staring with the oddest looks at your disabled/smoking/bucking vehicle as your rolling down an interstate. :)

The funny thing is, with most corporate rental agreements, all insurance is included and half the time the rental car company doesn't even ask what happened, they are just happy to get 2000-4000lbs of metal back to the lot.

We've done this to an H3 and ended up getting MONTHS of laughs out of the event....got it stuck in a snow embankment and ended up DRAGGING it out w/ a tow rope and a V8 Tundra. :-)

Dumbest thing you can ever do is buy a used rental vehicle. :)

Intercooled
11-27-2008, 06:35 PM
I work for a software company as an engineer supporting their sales force. I drive typically 2-3 rental vehicles a month. I'll share this with you guys because I love you ;-) but NEVER - NEVER EVER buy a used rental car. Me and my coworkers have sent multiple vehicles back to the rental car lots on flat beds because of how much we've abused them.

We'll drive them for MILES in 1st gear with the e-brake engaged - on the highway (bucking/smoking/etc). Or be going 20-30mph and suddenly engage the e-brake to see how far we can slide the vehicle....etc etc etc

Seems ridiculous...but you have no idea how funny it is until people drive by staring with the oddest looks at your disabled/smoking/bucking vehicle as your rolling down an interstate. :)

The funny thing is, with most corporate rental agreements, all insurance is included and half the time the rental car company doesn't even ask what happened, they are just happy to get 2000-4000lbs of metal back to the lot.

We've done this to an H3 and ended up getting MONTHS of laughs out of the event....got it stuck in a snow embankment and ended up DRAGGING it out w/ a tow rope and a V8 Tundra. :-)

Your right, I didnt realize that there many banana heads like you out there. :dancingbanana: :raar:

jmsspratlin
11-27-2008, 09:23 PM
Your right, I didnt realize that there many banana heads like you out there. :dancingbanana: :raar:
:giggling: :giggling: :giggling: :giggling: :giggling: :giggling: :giggling:

splne1
11-28-2008, 06:21 AM
RENTAL=:OWNED:

Pure_Justice
12-09-2008, 01:12 PM

LMAO @ that!

TXSUT
12-09-2008, 02:08 PM

WTF is wrong with people like you that get a joy out of damaging someone else's property? Did you go around vandalizing stuff when you were a kid? Were you never taught morals? The difference between right and wrong?

You are no better than any thief or vandal.

brad_p
12-09-2008, 02:16 PM
Yeh your a fuking idiot.

Hummer Guy
12-09-2008, 03:17 PM
I think it depends on the car and shop you're purchasing from. External/wear and tear issues should be fixed or disclosed. The inspection process to have the vehicle serviced is pretty stout. Plus a six year warranty? I wouldn't worry. Most people don't even keep vehicles that long.

ROX
12-09-2008, 09:37 PM

Dumbest thing you can ever do is buy a used rental vehicle. :)That's probably the dumbest thing I've read on here in a long time. Wreck it cuz it's not yours? How old are you? 12?

DRTYFN
12-09-2008, 11:41 PM

No, the dumbest thing someone could ever do is rent something to you.

NewHummerGuy
12-09-2008, 11:56 PM

:orly: Were you dropped on your head much as a kid??? You stupid jacka$$ a$$hat. Are you too fuking dumb to know someone had to pay for your joyride???? DEUCHEBAG!!!

Tully
12-10-2008, 04:18 PM
I paid for use of the vehicle, so how i 'used' it is my business. I'm just telling you facts...next time I won't say anything and let you figure it out on your own. I didn't steal it and abuse it, it's a paid use. If you pay to ride in bumper cars, do you ride in circles trying not to hit anyone?

The rental car companies clearly don't give a sh!t, so why should I? If you knew how the rental car companies treated those vehicles (extremely limited maintenance/service - just get the car back on the road making the rental company money) you'd think twice too.

RubHer Yellow Ducky
12-10-2008, 04:22 PM
Tully is in the vast minority...!

Most rentals are not abused, except by childish low-life immuture testacle-less morons !!!!!!!!

I know you already turned down the purchase but next time one comes up an important consideration is WHO is the warrenty offered through, GM, an insurance company, the dealer !!!

ROX
12-10-2008, 07:45 PM
I paid for use of the vehicle, so how i 'used' it is my business. I'm just telling you facts...next time I won't say anything and let you figure it out on your own. I didn't steal it and abuse it, it's a paid use. If you pay to ride in bumper cars, do you ride in circles trying not to hit anyone?

The rental car companies clearly don't give a sh!t, so why should I? If you knew how the rental car companies treated those vehicles (extremely limited maintenance/service - just get the car back on the road making the rental company money) you'd think twice too.
So now you're comparing a rental car to bumper cars.:notallthere: You admit freely that you abuse other people's property just because you think they don't give a darn if you wreck it, just because it's insured through your company, which you are supposed to be a representative of...
That kind of behavior is sooooooooo immature.

NewHummerGuy
12-10-2008, 08:27 PM

Didnt think it was possible but this reply of yours is even dumber than your original post. RETARD!

"I paid for use of the vehicle, so how i 'used' it is my business. I'm just telling you facts...next time I won't say anything and let you figure it out on your own. I didn't steal it and abuse it, it's a paid use."

Damn you are stupid.

DRTYFN
12-10-2008, 09:05 PM

Maybe you were trying to satisfy your homosexual fixation on Tom Cruise by playing Days Of Thunder.

BTW, love the back-pedal.:OWNED:

NewHummerGuy
12-10-2008, 09:44 PM
Maybe you were trying to satisfy your homosexual fixation on Tom Cruise by playing Days Of Thunder.

BTW, love the back-pedal.:OWNED:

That looks like Borat