PDA

View Full Version : GM ups ante on shedding Hummer brand

HummerMann
11-27-2008, 02:46 PM
Maybe I'm missing something about GM's plans, but according to Bloomberg and other sources, GM is requesting a government bailout so they can eliminate US jobs and increase our tax burden?
We all know the talk about eliminating Hummer, but the volume is getting louder! I agree with a lot in the following article.
http://hummersonline.blogspot.com/

HummerJim
11-27-2008, 03:43 PM
GM is saying that this is necessary to "streamline and combine operations." They are saying the job losses from this brand shedding are residual damage to save the company and over one million jobs. IMHO GM missed the boat in two critical areas.
In the old days you could tell a Pontiac from a Chevrolet, and each division had engines that were unique and boasted that they were the most powerful..... do you really get more excited about 35 mpg over 355 horsepower??? Most new cars today look a lot alike except for the Hummer and the styling leaves me cold - I consider today's styling aerodynamic and functional, not an artistic statement like the Harley Earl & Bill Mitchell styling of old.
Most importantly GM vehicles have not held up to the quality, reliability and durability standards of Toyota and Honda although, they have come a long way in the last two years in quality. People today want a car they can leave the dealer with and drive without problems. My Hummer has been trouble free and is a much more complex vehicle than vehicles just 10 years ago, but one of my closest friends went back to American with the 2006 H3 and ended up with the dreaded cylinder head problem and will probably never buy American again.

Intercooled
11-27-2008, 06:45 PM
Maybe I'm missing something about GM's plans, but according to Bloomberg and other sources, GM is requesting a government bailout so they can eliminate US jobs and increase our tax burden?
We all know the talk about eliminating Hummer, but the volume is getting louder! I agree with a lot in the following article.
http://hummersonline.blogspot.com/

great article, and I totally agree. I think shedding Hummer is inevitable, unfortunatley. I hope someone buys it and keeps it going. I never really understood keeping GMC through all of this. Its is totally redundant to chevy, just a few different parts. Yukon and Tahoe are the same damn vehicle!! Dump GMC for Kryste sake.

jmsspratlin
11-27-2008, 09:19 PM
Wonder how hard it will be to get parts for a Hummer if they do in fact go under? Isn't there a 7 or 10 year mark?