PDA

View Full Version : More Power?

pdxhummerguy
01-14-2009, 09:01 PM
So what is the best way to go about getting more power out of my 6.5 engine? I have a 2002 ford excursion and recently added a product called the DP tuner and it's amazing the performance and mileage gains I have seen. It has made the ex a totally different vehicle. I was looking at predator and their raptorq system but haven't heard the best things about predators reputation over the years. i suppose starting with a new exhaust from rubber duck would be a good thing.

ssgharkness020147
01-14-2009, 10:15 PM
The Rubber Duck exhaust is sick sounding. Travis also sells a full line of performance products from Heath Diesel. Honestly though, you wont get the power out of the 6.5 that you got out of your 7.3.

Planohummer
01-15-2009, 12:39 AM
ditto harkness on what to expect(or not to) as compared to your p-stroke. The 6.5 runs about 21.5:1 compression so you can't add nearly as much boost or fuel as the p-stroke which runs about 18:1. If you're trying to hot rod it be careful-you can't find many folks to do heavy engine work on an H1 if you blow something up.

pdxhummerguy
01-15-2009, 06:39 PM
I appreciate the input guys. I am not expectig the same performance gains as on my 7.3 psd. That thing is a beast. I would just like to see some improved performance be it ever so slight. i think even another 50hp would help a great deal. Does that exhaust from rubber duck give that nice clear crisp turbo whistle? The ex has that and I love the sound.

audiofetish
01-15-2009, 11:53 PM
I appreciate the input guys. I am not expectig the same performance gains as on my 7.3 psd. That thing is a beast. I would just like to see some improved performance be it ever so slight. i think even another 50hp would help a great deal. Does that exhaust from rubber duck give that nice clear crisp turbo whistle? The ex has that and I love the sound.

The duck Exhaust sounds great. If you want the Turbo whine then cut off the Cat. I have the stock Exhaust but I cut off my Cat and muffler. It isn't too loud but Miata?s hate me at stop lights:giggling: . You can add all kinds of stuff for power. Here is what I am doing to my wagon while the motor is apart. This is tamed for longevity because I wheel a lot. I put on thicker head gaskets to lower the compression, a Predator mechanical waste gate (will be running around 10 lbs of boost), Predator lift pump, #9 resister for PMD (this won?t do a thing without having the injector pump re-timed), Ceramic coated exhaust manifolds, Ceramic coating Turbo pipe, 180 thermostats, and a few other odds and ends. You can also get a new computer from Heath or Predator. Predator claims 155 hp with their Stage 3 kit. I would guess it would be closer to 100 hp.. But all in all I trust Predator with H1s.

ROX
01-16-2009, 07:49 PM
Well, you could lift it and put a duramax in it. :)

If you want to hear it whine, then definitely take the muffler off. In Oregon, you don't have to take your truck through DEQ, so you could take the cat off as well and that helps with the exhaust flow. You could order a bigger exhaust from Rubberduck, or I know a guy in Gresham that can make you a new one for the same money.

My husbands Excursion has a straight pipe and it's LOUD! (6.0L)

pdxhummerguy
01-21-2009, 07:41 PM
I am interested in the Gresham guy. Nothing against travis but should anything happen it's nice to have someone local who has done the work. Let me know who did the ford when you have time. On a sidenote, when are we going wheeling next! i am dying to head out and get the trucks dirty!

audiofetish
01-21-2009, 10:07 PM
Another alternative is http://www.ssdieselsupply.com/product_268_4_inch_Exhaust_For_HUMMER_H1s.html

The owner is great. I purchased a lot of parts including my heads from him. He owns an H1 as well.

pdxhummerguy
01-21-2009, 10:34 PM
Another alternative is http://www.ssdieselsupply.com/product_268_4_inch_Exhaust_For_HUMMER_H1s.html

The owner is great. I purchased a lot of parts including my heads from him. He owns an H1 as well.

does anyone make a turbo back set-up? I have one on my 7.3 psd and it's great!

audiofetish
01-22-2009, 02:45 PM
does anyone make a turbo back set-up? I have one on my 7.3 psd and it's great!

Yes, a test pipe. Predator and quite a few other companies sell them. It is an add-on to the 4" exhaust. No one sells a full kit to my knowledge... If you get one from Predator, let me know first. I can get you a discount.