PDA

View Full Version : i need some persuasion!

Rred
02-02-2009, 11:12 AM
Okay! I've been on this forum browsing around for a minute. But mostly looking at the H3 section. I'm gonna be home in a couple weeks and I'm dead set on getting a Hummer. Thing is, I've been looking at the H3's. I think they're a lot more nimble in the woods for getting around trees and boulders. Just an opinion. But I hate the fact that Hummer puts a I5 in anything. So I've been looking at the H3 Alpha. But now I'm thinking that if I'm gonna shell out that kinda cash, why not get an H2? So I'm asking for your opinions, why should I get an H2 instead of an H3 Alpha. I'll be heading up to Alaska this October, and I have every intention of doing a lot of offroad exploring, hunting, and fishing. Let me know what you all think!

Rred
02-02-2009, 11:17 AM
question?

Does the back seat fold completly flat?

Do all of the H2's have the E-rear locker?

They come factory with 35's, right? Can you go bigger?

Rred
02-02-2009, 11:18 AM
sorry,

What changes have been made to the H2 since they started making them in 03'?

OrangeCrush
02-02-2009, 02:04 PM
I hate to interupt the conversation your having with yourself....:D (3 posts, all you....lol)

But... I personally would stick with the H2. No disrespect to anyone that has an H3 but I see guys selling H3's and upgrading to an H2 waaaay more than I've seen the other way.

The H3's are technically better offroad than an H2, I just like the bulk and comfort of the H2. My wife and I test drove an H3 and there were two things I didn't like about it.

Too cramped, too gutless.

The cramped part is a personal opinion... I'm just used to an H2. The newer H3's (the Alpha's) come with a V8 so that may take care of the gutless part.

Test drive one of each and you'll make your own decision soon enough. With the way the economy is, you can pick up an H2 very reasonably.

Good luck, let us know which way you go.

Mark

PS. And if anyone hasn't thanked you lately for serving our country.

THANK YOU!

AK47
02-02-2009, 02:54 PM
hi there have you thought about one of those suzuki vitaras ,,,there really nimble ,,who knows you might be able to swing through those trees.

:fdance:

HummerJim
02-02-2009, 03:05 PM
I had an '06 H3 and moved up to the H2 because I liked the increased carrying capacity, it's abilities in the mud and snow, the quietness of the interior, the comfort, and the big V8 with its power. I'm 6 ft 5 and I found the H3 a little on the tight side during long drives and hit my head on the ceiling a few times offroading. The only drawback is that the H2 is a little wide on some of the trails around here, but the H2 does everything my 3 did offroad and little more to boot. They both cost about the same to insure and the 2 gets about 3 mpg less mileage than the H3. Drive both and make up your mind.

solarflare
02-02-2009, 10:52 PM
I had an H3 originally, and moved to the H2. yes the H2 seats fold flat. The H3 rear seats fold down, but not completely flat. I personally like the H2 for the room and the comfort level on a long ride.....yes they 2's have the rear locker, and you can go bigger on the tire size.

CONRAD II
02-03-2009, 02:53 AM
I had an H3 originally, and moved to the H2. yes the H2 seats fold flat. The H3 rear seats fold down, but not completely flat. I personally like the H2 for the room and the comfort level on a long ride.....yes they 2's have the rear locker, and you can go bigger on the tire size.

H222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222222: jump:

Trinity
02-03-2009, 03:40 AM
I also went from the H3 to the H2. Yes, the H3 is very nimble, but it will get stuck just as easily as an H2 if you aren't careful. Heck, that is what 4 wheeling is all about. You will get stuck. It did take some time to get used to the girth of the H2, but if you are in IRAQ, you are probably already driving around a Humvee, so it won't be a big deal for you. If where you off-road is going to be tight and you don't want to risk rubbing a few branches down the side of an H2, then by all means, get the H3.

By the time you spend up for an H3 Alpha, I'd go ahead and get the H2. I loved the H3, but I just can't say enough about the off-road capability, size, comfort, and all around fun and respect that an H2 commands.

HUMMERICH23
02-03-2009, 05:00 AM
I have both H2 and H3 ( 07 White H3, 08 Solar Flare H2)
Hands down the H2 (365 days a year /24-7). Just go get it as fast as you can and then you'll stop considering the alternative. Though i guess if you never drive an H2 and just get an H3 you'll be just as happy and prob won't know the difference. But if you do extensive research and drive a new H2 for any extended time, it will be hard to step down.

Richard

Rred
02-03-2009, 06:26 AM
I appreciate all the input. I'll finally be home in a couple weeks, we'll see what I get. One last question though; what are the changes made to the H2 over the years? I haven't noticed any cosmetecs changed.

HummerMann
02-03-2009, 05:31 PM
http://www.lynchhummer.com/Changes/h2changes/h2index.html

This site shows you the changes year by year. The most significant changes were the new engine in '08 and the upgraded electrical system and SUT in '05.

Rred
02-03-2009, 07:04 PM
thanks man. i'm really starting to swing towards getting an H2. i guess we'll see in a couple weeks. i can't wait to get home and out of this god forsaken country.

ROX
02-03-2009, 07:55 PM
I hate to interupt the conversation your having with yourself....:D (3 posts, all you....lol)

But... I personally would stick with the H2. No disrespect to anyone that has an H3 but I see guys selling H3's and upgrading to an H2 waaaay more than I've seen the other way.Same here.

The H3's are technically better offroad than an H2, I just like the bulk and comfort of the H2. My wife and I test drove an H3 and there were two things I didn't like about it.I have to disagree with this. Unless you get the H3 Alpha, you're looking at front differential problems, and you don't want that in Alaska. The H2 looks infintely better and has a better Cool factor :D :D ;)

Too cramped, too gutless. Agree. Can't even fit a bicycle inside to take the kids friend home.

The cramped part is a personal opinion... I'm just used to an H2. The newer H3's (the Alpha's) come with a V8 so that may take care of the gutless part.

Test drive one of each and you'll make your own decision soon enough. With the way the economy is, you can pick up an H2 very reasonably. Agree

Good luck, let us know which way you go.

Mark

PS. And if anyone hasn't thanked you lately for serving our country. X2!!

THANK YOU!:beerchug:

Rred
02-03-2009, 08:20 PM
thanks!

twenty2
02-03-2009, 08:49 PM
Im sure they wouldnt miss a H1 if you took one home. Tell them you SERVED the country right..

Its worth asking.......... BTW.... THANK YOU X2!!

Intercooled
02-04-2009, 04:46 AM
Bring home an H1. tell them its part of the "Stimulis Package".

If your leaning H3 then dont ever get in an H2. You'll never know and then you'll love your H3 forever!

frenzy1
02-04-2009, 07:50 AM
Bring home an H1. tell them its part of the "Stimulis Package".

If your leaning H3 then dont ever get in an H2. You'll never know and then you'll love your H3 forever!

:perfect10s:

Good luck bro and have a safe trip home !!!!!!

May God Bless You !!

Frenzy

H2BRUTE
02-04-2009, 11:17 AM
H2 all the way, for all the reasons stated above, plus, plus, plus..and THANK YOU for keeping us safe. I pray you get home safely so you can get your H2 and enjoy it immensely..BRUTE :perfect10s:

Rred
02-04-2009, 03:49 PM
Is it suggested by the manufacturer that the H2 drink only premium fuel?

HummBob
02-05-2009, 08:08 AM
Is it suggested by the manufacturer that the H2 drink only premium fuel?

2008 and up......

2007 and earlier it SAYS 87 Octane in the manual.....

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
02-05-2009, 08:58 AM
Rred,

Thank You so much for YOUR PERSONAL sacrifice YOU have made to help insure all our families safety.

To those of you old enough to know where I'm coming from I feel my greatest gratitude for OUR TROOPS when I look at my first grandchild a boy who will turn 2 years old this month. I have always been very grateful to you troops with me being a military brat anyway, plus experience of Vietnam draft which ended 53 days before my number came up, I was going to volunteer anyway I wanted to fly Cobra ships and it kept my poor mom with hope I was not going so I waiting to the last minute. Anyway with this little man now in my life (I never had a son just wonderful beautiful girls) it hit's so hard that in 16 years he could be called upon to answer the need of a grateful nation to go into who knows where to protect a generation here after I'm long gone.

Oh go with H2 as almost every friend I have who even in the higher gas prices that had H3 changed to H2 even if they had to go down in year models.

Also Rred there is allot of info off this forum. Do not hesitate to ask for help. Dragon and I will jump on questions as fast as we can. Dragon, his shop and I have completely dismantled my H2 2 times and I mean stripped to metal inside and outside. It has it's 3rd paint job and will get a 4th this year which it will be stripped so we can media blast it to get body to a perfect smooth surface for mirror paint job. We have been picking colors for the custom scheme. You may find pics in that section and I have a photobucket possibly linked in pic sec. I will look and if not add one.

Well again get back safe and get that H2 and start making it yours.

God Bless Welcome Home,

TAZ

Rred
02-05-2009, 02:40 PM
I appreciate the support. I do love being in the Army, as mush as it sucks being over here. Things aren't that bad. Atleast I'll be able to come home soon. I found a nice 05' H2 with 32,000 miles on it. asking 22,995. I love the slate blue color on the ebony leather. If it's still available when I get home, I'm going to make it mine. I'm already day dreaming about what I'm gonna do to it. Tint, leveling kit, 37" cleats wrapped around blacked out 20's, light bar with same hella bright off road lights. . .etc. I'm pretty set on getting an H2 now. They come completly decked out, they don't show they're age, chicks love them, V8, e-rear locker stock. This beatch is going to be mine.

Thanks for all the input. You can bet that as soons as I pick mine up, there will be plenty of pics. There is tons of snow back home right now. And a clean car in the snow looks hot.

kauaiboy
02-05-2009, 06:51 PM
here is my 06 H2 that i drive everyday to school. it has 6,700 miles on it already...

HummerJim
02-05-2009, 07:30 PM
Nice Hummer Kaui and a great place to live! Former Vietnam Air Force guy here and I consider military service one of the highest callings!

Rred
02-05-2009, 07:48 PM
I think there is some Irony in a soldier driving a Hummer off the job. Interco makes a M16 tire with rounds for side wall treads. They look pretty sweet. What kinda tires do you all rock? I'm thinking the Dick Cepek - Mud Grip tires will be aggressive enough for alaska and civil enough for daily driving.

brad_p
02-05-2009, 08:13 PM
Ive seen the interco tire, dont like it personaly but it is very millitary looking. Im running 37 Bfg km2's they are a little on the high end but i put them on at around 50,000 miles and now im at 83,000 and they are now at about 50% life, Pretty damn good in my opinion and they have only been rotated 3 or 4 times. Also another upside to them is that i havent got stuck with them yet.

Also thanks for your service.:beerchug:

Rred
02-06-2009, 06:31 AM
I do like the KM-2s. I had the km's on my last truck, and they were a great tire. Only ever got stuck once. I know I said I'm thinking about getting the DC-mud grips, but I'm looking at a lot of tires. I like the toyo m/t & bfg km2s, and I thought about getting a offroad only set of super swampers. I've been looking at the terrain for wheel'n up in alaska, and there is a lot of bottomless nasty mud and river silt.

Brad P, do you have any pics? Do you have any suspension adjustments made to clear the 37's? Do they rub at all?

Rred
02-06-2009, 01:48 PM
What is the button below the trailer button for?

Rred
02-06-2009, 02:35 PM
Sorry to keep posting one after another. But I'm going to have to use this thread for all my questions about th2 H2.

How serious(good) are the skid plates underneath? Should they be upgaded?

Are there any pre-fab front mounted hitch receivers for the H2? It would be a nice way to be able to put a winch on or off really quick.

brad_p
02-06-2009, 03:00 PM
I cranked up the t bars a little, i get minor rub on the plastic on a hard turn. Could probably fix this if i simply swap them for green keys. Ill get some pics up for ya.

brad_p
02-06-2009, 03:04 PM
Look here i have a few pics.

http://www.elcovaforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32580

wingn69
02-06-2009, 06:59 PM
H2 or H1 is the only way I would go after spending a few days in the Army myself (Scouts Out its a CAV thing) I had to get a Hummer too.

The Hummer is a sicknest my friend changes who you are onces you get one you won't want anything else.:clapping:

Rred
02-08-2009, 05:06 PM
Can someone please explain to me the significance of the locking center differential and how if functions? I understand the 4L. What is the difference between the 4H locked and the 4H? What makes it locked as apposed to 4H? Is 4H really 2H?

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
02-08-2009, 10:24 PM
Rred,
4H and 2H are not the same thing. 4H is still full time but, has limited slip function whereas 4H locked then pulls licked 4L.

Anyone jump in here this is where I'm weak. I'm use to unlock and allot of HP running fast so my focus is not directed in this area as much.

TAZ

OrangeCrush
02-08-2009, 11:35 PM
Rred,
4H and 2H are not the same thing. 4H is still full time but, has limited slip function whereas 4H locked then pulls licked 4L.

TAZ

Rick,

Someone may correct me but the only time any of the axles get locked is when you click on the lock button (which if I remember correctly is only when it's in low....I may be wrong)

But anyways, I don't believe at any point does the front axle become locked.

Someone else chime in.

Mark

Unexpected_Comp
02-08-2009, 11:42 PM
Can someone please explain to me the significance of the locking center differential and how if functions? I understand the 4L. What is the difference between the 4H locked and the 4H? What makes it locked as apposed to 4H? Is 4H really 2H?

Rred, first of all God bless you. If it wasn?t for brave people like you we would be living in a very different world today.
In 4H the vehicle basically works as an open diff system with only the traction control to help it regain traction. With the locked central diff the power is split evenly on both front and rear axles and even if one or both wheels on one axle spin the other axle will still have power to move the vehicle. If you also lock the rear diff it will do the same with the rear axle. Even if both front wheels and one of the rear ones spin the other one will have power to move the vehicle. The ideal setting would be to also have a front locking diff. I think there are aftermarket ones available.
That?s how I think it works, if I?m wrong please correct me.

OrangeCrush
02-09-2009, 12:11 AM
I agree. With the truck in 4WD, the front and rear axle is still a limited slip front and rearend. Only with the rear axle locked does the rear axle become a locker.

Like UC said, ideally installing an aftermarket lockable front diff would be great.... having said that, I have yet to get the H2 stuck so I'm not sure how necc. a lockable front diff is needed...lol.

Mark

Rred, first of all God bless you. If it wasn?t for brave people like you we would be living in a very different world today.
In 4H the vehicle basically works as an open diff system with only the traction control to help it regain traction. With the locked central diff the power is split evenly on both front and rear axles and even if one or both wheels on one axle spin the other axle will still have power to move the vehicle. If you also lock the rear diff it will do the same with the rear axle. Even if both front wheels and one of the rear ones spin the other one will have power to move the vehicle. The ideal setting would be to also have a front locking diff. I think there are aftermarket ones available.
That?s how I think it works, if I?m wrong please correct me.

Rred
02-09-2009, 09:15 AM
So 4H is an open diff, meaning that the front drive shaft is free spinning except when the traction controls kicks in and the rear driveshaft is always locked in to drive. And 4H/4L locked is the center diff is locked and fully engaged with equal power continuosly going to the front and rear drive shafts. ???

Also, what is the button just below the trailer button for? It's located just to the left of the onstar button and the bottom one of the stack of three.

HummerMann
02-09-2009, 03:35 PM
That button on the bottom raises or lowers the rear if you have the Adventure Package or the Air Suspension package. I have the Adventure Package on my '06 and to be honest, I've only used that button once. In a previous post someone raised the rear with that button and then drove into his garage and got the garage door with his roof racks. I can't find it in the owners manual but I believe it raises the rear 2 and half inches.
The adventure package on the 2009 H3 includes front and rear lockers on any model. You can use the front and or rear lock at your choosing because of the switches are seperate buttons.
You can't get rear locking by its self starting in 2009 on the H3. Either both or nothing.

Rred
02-09-2009, 06:22 PM
Do any of the H2's come with a factory cold weather package? I found one for sale that apprears to have some sort of battery cell blanket/cover. I will deffinetly be needing one, when I get up to Alaska this fall!

Unexpected_Comp
02-09-2009, 07:30 PM
As Hummermann says it raises the rear end quite a bit. I find it very useful when off-roading as your departure angle gets better.