PDA

View Full Version : Now there's something I hadn't counted on....

OrangeCrush
02-04-2009, 04:25 AM
A few nights ago, I installed the diode to make the DRL's come on with the headlights.

So I drove into work today and noticed that even though the sunshine was shining, my headlights and drl's were on even though it was light this morning and the switch was turned to auto.

When I purchased my H2, the previous owner (who lived in FL) had tinted the front windshield. I had owned the truck for about a week before I noticed it when driving at dusk.

It's only 35% tint which is legal here in NC but I've never had a vehicle with a tinted windshield.

Point is, the tint is enough to block the sun from allowing the sensor to differentiate between daytime and evening.

I think in the BRIGHT sunlight in the middle of the day, it'll work but at 8-9am this morning, it couldn't tell the difference and wouldn't shut the lights off until I held a flashlight right on the sensor.

Not a big deal, just never came across that problem before. I thought I had hooked up the wire incorrectly.

Wierd.

Mark

frenzy1
02-04-2009, 07:47 AM
Interesting !

porschett
02-04-2009, 09:59 AM
A few nights ago, I installed the diode to make the DRL's come on with the headlights.

So I drove into work today and noticed that even though the sunshine was shining, my headlights and drl's were on even though it was light this morning and the switch was turned to auto.

When I purchased my H2, the previous owner (who lived in FL) had tinted the front windshield. I had owned the truck for about a week before I noticed it when driving at dusk.

It's only 35% tint which is legal here in NC but I've never had a vehicle with a tinted windshield.

Point is, the tint is enough to block the sun from allowing the sensor to differentiate between daytime and evening.

I think in the BRIGHT sunlight in the middle of the day, it'll work but at 8-9am this morning, it couldn't tell the difference and wouldn't shut the lights off until I held a flashlight right on the sensor.

Not a big deal, just never came across that problem before. I thought I had hooked up the wire incorrectly.

Wierd.

Mark

I don't even have my windshield tinted and it does it sometimes up till around 8 in the morning. Granted, the sides are at 50%, but I don't believe that should have any effect.

HummerMann
02-04-2009, 02:49 PM
I have the sides and back tinted on my SUT, but not the front window and mine does the same thing. I keep a small mag lite flashlight in the center console and have to shine it on the sensor sometimes. It's real obvious if you have your nav map set on auto and you look down at 9 am and see a black nav map.

HumminNBoatin'
02-04-2009, 05:27 PM
I have the sides and back tinted on my SUT, but not the front window and mine does the same thing. I keep a small mag lite flashlight in the center console and have to shine it on the sensor sometimes. It's real obvious if you have your nav map set on auto and you look down at 9 am and see a black nav map.

Or.... You could just manually turn the switch head lights to "On" like they did in the olden days lol