PDA

View Full Version : My h2's done with

brad_p
02-12-2009, 01:25 AM
Well last week the h2 died out on me while i was driving, had it towed in and found out monday the engine is done with, yep 85k and good by engine thats insane. So i could drop a new engine in it for 7 grand or they would give me 13k outright. No way would i ever get 20 for my 06 with high miles so i took it. The keeping my gobi rockstars and 37's so thats one thing im upset about i could have gave you guys some good deals, Anyways i took my 13k and went over to land rover and am getting a new lr3 loaded except nav for 13,500 off sticker, i know it wont hold a candle to the h2 in brute off roading but it seams like it is a much smarter 4x4 and for what i will use it for great. I will continue to stick around and have a few parts i could sell. such as black side steps, factory lightbar without wiring, 2 d hooks, and possably stock rims and tires.

Flesh
02-12-2009, 02:09 AM
Well that sucks to hear. I've had my h2 for about 7 months and im finally getting the urge to get some off-road goodies. I hope you enjoy your new vehicle as much as the h2.

hotstang46`
02-12-2009, 03:53 AM
man.....I'm sure you know this but why an LR3? That has to be one of if not the most unreliable vehicles currently produced. I just couldn't deal with a vehicle constantly being in the shop, no matter how much I liked it.

brad_p
02-12-2009, 05:37 AM
Well it cant be worst than my h2 and i did look at tahoes its just that for the money you can buy a much nicer, much more exclusive vehical For less money. Im getting a loaded LR3 except nav for less than what i could have got a mid class tahoe without 4x4 for. Land Rover has 60 years of building almost the same vehical so i guess there is something right about them.

RazM
02-12-2009, 05:51 AM
Well last week the h2 died out on me while i was driving, had it towed in and found out monday the engine is done with, yep 85k and good by engine thats insane. So i could drop a new engine in it for 7 grand or they would give me 13k outright. No way would i ever get 20 for my 06 with high miles so i took it. The keeping my gobi rockstars and 37's so thats one thing im upset about i could have gave you guys some good deals, Anyways i took my 13k and went over to land rover and am getting a new lr3 loaded except nav for 13,500 off sticker, i know it wont hold a candle to the h2 in brute off roading but it seams like it is a much smarter 4x4 and for what i will use it for great. I will continue to stick around and have a few parts i could sell. such as black side steps, factory lightbar without wiring, 2 d hooks, and possably stock rims and tires.

You're going to Land Rover for reliability?

Sorry, that's just ironic...

Wish you luck with it, but the LR3 is not an offroad vehicle, it just doesn't have the angles, and you can't get a decent sized tire under them.

You'd have been better off going with a Rubicon Unlimited IMO.

brad_p
02-12-2009, 06:04 AM
In all truth i dont offroad much with my h2 anyways ive been a total of 4 times. I wont be able to mud ride but i dont plan on doing that anyways all it does is tear **** up. Most of my off roading was on the beach and for that the lr3 will do great at that. If you look it up the lr3 has very similar approach and has a better breakover, as for the departure the h2 beats the lr3 by 10 inches. Also the lr3 has better water fording. Another thing is this is my only ride i dont have a 2nd car, i was having to drive my h2 all the time and i do alot of interstate driving. Im sure gonna miss my h2 but ive already fallen in love with the rover and i havent even got it yet.

hotstang46`
02-12-2009, 07:15 AM
Another thing is this is my only ride i dont have a 2nd car, i was having to drive my h2 all the time and i do alot of interstate driving. Im sure gonna miss my h2 but ive already fallen in love with the rover and i havent even got it yet.

There is a reason why you can buy the rover for less money. It's not worth as much because of it's issues.

Please don't take this the wrong way, I have no hidden agenda. The rover is flat out the wrong vehicle if it is to be your only one. They are absolutely plagued with problems, especially electrical and fuel related. It is only a matter of when and how often gremlins will rear their head with this vehicle. On average an LR3 owner will visit a dealer for problems more their first year of ownership than any other vehicle on the market in the US. Sure they will be covered under warranty but who wants to go to the dealer that often. I think that my family member who's in the industry said the nationwide average was 7 dealer visits within the first year, I may be wrong but I know it's right about that.

I see that you haven't bought it yet. I know the immediate impression from driving it is nice but unless you really really love going to your dealer I would stay far far away. The tahoe would be much more reliable.

DRTYFN
02-12-2009, 08:04 AM

I've got 107K on mine and it's still purring. Mobil1(and one round of Amsoil) might have something to do with this.

You really should reconsider the LR3 move - I've got a couple of acquaintances that have them and they curse them on a regular basis. Oh well, keep us informed.

Oh, and be sure to get your rainbow sticker centered in the back window. :giggling: :jump:

brad_p
02-12-2009, 08:10 AM
Ah you guys are killing me, i havent bought it yet but realy like it. Its not so much about it breaking its more about if my job will move me closer to home. Dont know if i want to live here for 3 years to pay the high end car note.

HummerJim
02-12-2009, 02:51 PM
Do you know what failed on the engine? Was it a broken connecting rod or crankshaft failure? My nephew in Cincinnati has a Land Rover LR3 and it has spent a lot of time at the dealer with electrical problems and after one year he's so frustrated he's ready to get rid of it. He's been calling me asking about Hummers!

Fastest H-Town Realtor
02-12-2009, 02:58 PM
In all truth i dont offroad much with my h2 anyways ive been a total of 4 times. <SNIP>. Most of my off roading was on the beach and for that the lr3 will do great at that. <SNIP>. Im sure gonna miss my h2 but ive already fallen in love with the rover and i havent even got it yet.

You guys are missing the point...read this again and see why the LR is a perfect vehicle for him...

HummerHippy
02-12-2009, 03:02 PM
Well that sux. Sorry your H2 didn't last. I dont have first hand experience, but I thought Land Rovers had reliability issues as well. How about a Land Cruiser. I've always thought they were pretty good all around SUVs especially if you're not wheeling a lot.

Good luck. Maybe you need an H3 ;)

brad_p
02-12-2009, 04:46 PM
Well guys as it stands now i may be droping a used motor into the h2 and keeping it a bit longer, financialy that would be the best thing for me to do, If i would do that id have no note and insurance is paid until october on it. Could start rethinking from there, im not sure what broke on it but for 3k i can get a used motor put in, im just kinda iffy about it breaking something else, maybe ill put the stock tires on. After a long night of thinking it out and reading what you guys are saying i decided to stay away from the LR3, if i were to just take the money and buy a lightly used car i would want a h3, fj, or a taco.

DRTYFN
02-12-2009, 05:59 PM
Well guys as it stands now i may be droping a used motor into the h2 and keeping it a bit longer, financialy that would be the best thing for me to do, If i would do that id have no note and insurance is paid until october on it. Could start rethinking from there, im not sure what broke on it but for 3k i can get a used motor put in, im just kinda iffy about it breaking something else, maybe ill put the stock tires on. After a long night of thinking it out and reading what you guys are saying i decided to stay away from the LR3, if i were to just take the money and buy a lightly used car i would want a h3, fj, or a taco.
Good. Now go cancel your order for the 55 gallon drum of KY. :giggling:

zmanH2
02-12-2009, 07:09 PM
Well last week the h2 died out on me while i was driving, had it towed in and found out monday the engine is done with, yep 85k and good by engine thats insane. So i could drop a new engine in it for 7 grand or they would give me 13k outright. No way would i ever get 20 for my 06 with high miles so i took it.

I'm sorry to hear that :crying:

So who was giving you $13k for your H2 with busted engine? Land Rover dealer or Hummer dealer or insurance or other repair shop?

brad_p
02-12-2009, 07:44 PM
Haha drty, it was a gm dealer. What do you guys think of fj's?

hotstang46`
02-12-2009, 08:03 PM
I'm glad you've decided against that rover. You're better off. That FJ is one helluva reliable truck. It will give you years of trouble free service if that's what you're after.

If you're after a luxury sport ute what about the lexus gx470. Those ride pretty nice and there are deals out there. You can presently purhcase the big infinity QX56 for one heck of a deal right now too probably around 25 thousand for a lower mileage truck. It too will run like a top.

Cazador
02-12-2009, 08:33 PM
Good decision to steer clear of the Rover. With the exception of a 1997 D90, every RR and LR product I had was a steaming pile.

FJ is a nice truck, more leg room than the H2, but not as comfy. Toyota reliability is tough to beat. I was a serial Land Cruiser owner for years. You owe it to yourself to test drive a slightly used UZJ100 back to back with FJ before you pull the trigger.

Have you considered throwing a diesel engine in the H2? This might be a great opportunity to take the plunge.

xZach
02-12-2009, 09:09 PM
You should have taken the $7k and bought a Duramax/Alison... give yourself a nice project! :D

Seriously though, I would not have bought a land rover :wtf: but whatever... hope your happy with it at least....

xZach
02-12-2009, 09:11 PM

Drop in an 8.1L Vortec... or a small cummins!!

RazM
02-12-2009, 11:30 PM
What do you guys think of fj's?

Run away from the FJ Cruiser, it's NOT reliable.

Many FJ's that have been wheeled have been having their body ripping at the crumple zones, and from the looks of it, Toyota is giving them the run around with no real fix. Here's a link:
http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/problems-dealer-service/33440-engine-bay-body-rips.html

The stock angles are a joke too, 32/29.

Also, you won't be able to fit 4 adults in there, the back seats are useless.

brad_p
02-12-2009, 11:32 PM
Yes would be a nice project, but its my only transportation would be different if i had multiple cars, Only 21 so i havent got that far in life to have projects of that extent. Im not getting a rover i will probably be ending up in a FJ, I thought long and hard about the h3 vs fj and for the money i think i will be better off in a fj.

RazM
02-12-2009, 11:42 PM
Yes would be a nice project, but its my only transportation would be different if i had multiple cars, Only 21 so i havent got that far in life to have projects of that extent. Im not getting a rover i will probably be ending up in a FJ, I thought long and hard about the h3 vs fj and for the money i think i will be better off in a fj.

I take it you didn't read my post? The H3 is far superior, from capability to comfort to overall quality.

splne1
02-13-2009, 12:01 AM
Man that was a close one. Hope every thing goes smooth with the new motor. Diesel is a damn good project i agree with that but time consuming and money consuming .

Luv2Camp
02-13-2009, 01:55 AM
I just traded in my 98 Disco to my Hummer dealer when I bought my 06 LUX H2. I owned the Rover since 2000 and it was one great vehicle for me. It was on the beach EVERY weekend when we lived in NY. The only issues I had with the vehicle the 9 years that we owned it was steering box leaked and exhaust rotted (due to the salt water I am sure!) at 98000 miles I had to replace the front calipers and the radiator... For a British vehicle and all of the horror stories I have heard I must have been one of the lucky ones! TThe thing that I would be scared of on the newere ones is the air shocks as they have had a TON of problems with them... BUT I have to say that the best thing was trading it in to get our H2...... We love the vehicle. On a side note, I just changed the gear oil in the diffs tonight and still have to laugh that the GM gear oil actiually states that the gear oil now has a grape scent to it. WHAT???? I have to admit I did smell it and it does have a grape scent. Do they do this so they can smell the fluid on a a bad rear to tell if the fluid has been replaced with something other than the GM issue oil???

Intercooled
02-13-2009, 02:43 AM
85k miles really isnt a ton of miles on todays engine. Did you drive it hard? did you change oil often enough? If the body and interior are good condition Id go for the new engine. You'll save on insurance, taxes, and depreciation of todays SUV's. You'll miss your H2 in 2 weeks time!! Maybe look for another used H2? Good deals.

brad_p
02-13-2009, 02:44 AM
Well im not wanting to buy used so the fj i would get will be good, i think you are misinformed on reliability becasue toyota has a great reputation of making solid and reliable products, i know the h3 is far better off road but like i said before the whole time i had my h2 i used the angles that hummer has to offer only on one occasion and it was at a hummer even in texas, Im in louisiana there is not much that cant be driven over or simply around out here. Like i said before the most offroading i do is simply hitting the beach for a ride and possably doing some trail type off road stuff. As far a heavy mud ive seen what it does, and thats tear up all kinds of stuff. And i dont think ill be climbing shelves like i did up in barnwell with my h2. I still love hummer infact today when i was unpacking all my stuff from it at the dealer there were moment that i felt like i was loosing a pet (Some will understand some wont). I hate to see it go but it has gotten to the point that i dont trust it mechanicaly (Not say this about all hummers, i did a fair amount of abuse to mine but i think it was a lemon)

brad_p
02-13-2009, 02:49 AM
85k miles really isnt a ton of miles on todays engine. Did you drive it hard? did you change oil often enough? If the body and interior are good condition Id go for the new engine. You'll save on insurance, taxes, and depreciation of todays SUV's. You'll miss your H2 in 2 weeks time!! Maybe look for another used H2? Good deals.

I agree with you about that i probably will miss it but i can live with it, Im young and dont demand superior comfort although it is nice and its just to expensive for someone my age to have, I obviously didnt buy mine that way out of my price range, my father gave it to me. He says its time for me to take responability so i have to be more open to the more normal things in life.

Intercooled
02-13-2009, 03:07 AM
, my father gave it to me. He says its time for me to take responability so i have to be more open to the more normal things in life.

Your father is right. Living beyond our means is what got us in this recession. Someday you can venture back to Hummer. Nobody gave me anything in life. I worked for every ounce of it. Sometimes you have to sacrifice to get what you want down the road. Good luck! :beerchug:

Id go h3 at the least! I'm not a toyota fan. Had one, never again.

hummeraddict
02-13-2009, 04:11 AM
Is this common to lose an engine after only 85K? Seems really sketchy to me. I owned a GMC Jimmy at the age of 18 and put 225,000 miles on it and didn't have any engine problem. Maybe its due to the weight of the vehicle and how much strain it might put on the engine? i don't know.

xZach
02-13-2009, 04:33 AM
Maybe its about maintenince/driving style...

Or it could just be the engine, think about how many 6.0L Vortecs have been made between h2s, escalades, denalis, GMC/Chevy 3/4 tons etc... A few were bound to be bad engines

brad_p
02-13-2009, 04:44 AM
No its very uncomon, another gm with this motor is 2500 non duramax trucks. I have a friend that manages a mechanic shop and he talked to a mechanic of 30 years and since that motor has came out in 1999 he has replaced 2, one was in a ambulance and the other was in a truck with damn near 300k miles on it. Also today at the dealer while i was unpacking my stuff from it i talked to a mechanic that had been there for 5 years and i asked how many has he known of that have went out, he smiled pointed to mine and said that one. I do have a heavy foot but i dont think that it would do that, something must have been wrong. Like you said there are bad ones every so often.

RazM
02-13-2009, 05:45 AM
Well im not wanting to buy used so the fj i would get will be good, i think you are misinformed on reliability becasue toyota has a great reputation of making solid and reliable products, i know the h3 is far better off road but like i said before the whole time i had my h2 i used the angles that hummer has to offer only on one occasion and it was at a hummer even in texas, Im in louisiana there is not much that cant be driven over or simply around out here. Like i said before the most offroading i do is simply hitting the beach for a ride and possably doing some trail type off road stuff. As far a heavy mud ive seen what it does, and thats tear up all kinds of stuff. And i dont think ill be climbing shelves like i did up in barnwell with my h2. I still love hummer infact today when i was unpacking all my stuff from it at the dealer there were moment that i felt like i was loosing a pet (Some will understand some wont). I hate to see it go but it has gotten to the point that i dont trust it mechanicaly (Not say this about all hummers, i did a fair amount of abuse to mine but i think it was a lemon)

Toyota's whole "reputation" is based on their excessive marketing that constantly bombards people into believing their cars are something special. The figures show otherwise.

Just a little tidbit, the platform the FJ was built on is the Prado, and it had the same issues of ripping body panels. There's no guarantee that the new FJ's are reliable, and some people have even been having their frames rip at the crossmembers.

Something is up with these vehicles, and Toyota is trying to sweep it under the rug until they stop producing the FJC. They've already cancelled any updates to it. I wouldn't step into one personally...

Rene S. Nielsen
02-13-2009, 02:48 PM
Brad_p

Put a used engine in that H2 and get back on the road. I bought a used engine with 17.000 km (around 10.000 miles) on it for 3.000$ from a guy called Wade Nowlin. (I can find his adress and phone number if you would like that).

The engine looked like it was brand new and it's spinning.

It will take about 2 days to change the engine if you have the tools to do it. Maybe someone here can do it faster.

Rene

brad_p
02-13-2009, 02:54 PM
Im getting 13 for it as is, i know its low but i dont ever see me getting above 18 for it, And it only gets older and more miles. Its smarter for me to get something new, even though i realy want my hummer.

brad_p
02-13-2009, 03:05 PM
Toyota's whole "reputation" is based on their excessive marketing that constantly bombards people into believing their cars are something special. The figures show otherwise.

Just a little tidbit, the platform the FJ was built on is the Prado, and it had the same issues of ripping body panels. There's no guarantee that the new FJ's are reliable, and some people have even been having their frames rip at the crossmembers.

Something is up with these vehicles, and Toyota is trying to sweep it under the rug until they stop producing the FJC. They've already cancelled any updates to it. I wouldn't step into one personally...

I think every car has is linked to some bad rumor in every way, some are true. For instance if i would have asked about a hummer in a fj forum im sure i would have gotten flooded with all kinds of nonsense. For me its the smart thing to do, and i dont think that there is anything out there more reliable than a Honda or a toyota"ill get flamed for this but its simply my opinion based on what ive seen". And if your right and it does not hold up, thats what warrenties are for.

timgco
02-13-2009, 07:52 PM
Im getting 13 for it as is, i know its low but i dont ever see me getting above 18 for it, And it only gets older and more miles. Its smarter for me to get something new, even though i realy want my hummer.

look at http://forums.landroverworld.org/ for info on LR3's. You'll find out what goes wrong with them, what they do to off road them, what kind of off roading they do, and what mods can be done to them. LR3's are known for their electrical issues and air bag malfunctions. Those known issues don;t make it a bad truck...and of course most owners on a HUMMER forum are going to bag on the LR3....it's not a HUMMER.

They do ride nice as a DD, easy to park, If you get the HD package you get a rear locker and yes, they do wheel. you can get the Goodyear MTR's now in teh US in teh 19' size that the LR3's rims come with, and there are al kinds of bumper, skids you can get too. So you can wheel them!!!! It will not compare to how your H2 rides on road or of, but overall I think it's a nice comfrtable vehicle. When you take your LR in for service, you get a LR for your rental EVERY time too...unlike GM where they you whatever $hitbox is laying around. 15K off sticker is everywhere on these leftover 08 LR3's and 09's are starting to come down as well.

If it were and was getting out of HUMMER, and wanted something that I could take to teh beach and moderate off road once or twice a year, that LR3 would be a great choice. But don;t count on fuel economy being much better that a stock H2.

Cesardajr
02-13-2009, 08:36 PM
take the 13k and get a used h2 for 22K-25k you will owe about 10k@ 60months with good credit you can have a $200 payment and still have a newer h2 with a factory warranty.
just a thought....

RazM
02-13-2009, 09:38 PM
I think every car has is linked to some bad rumor in every way, some are true. For instance if i would have asked about a hummer in a fj forum im sure i would have gotten flooded with all kinds of nonsense. For me its the smart thing to do, and i dont think that there is anything out there more reliable than a Honda or a toyota"ill get flamed for this but its simply my opinion based on what ive seen". And if your right and it does not hold up, thats what warrenties are for.

*Are* you even reading what I wrote you, or the forum that I linked to?

It's NOT a rumor (heck, its actual OWNERS who found/reported the issue) and THERE IS NO WARRANTY FOR THE PROBLEM, go read the hundreds of pages on the issue, Toyota is screwing their own customers over.

Whatever, it's your truck... :raar:

H2 Bill
02-13-2009, 10:29 PM
Didn't I hear that LR was going to be bought out by an Indian company? Maybe I Dreamt it....

hummeraddict
02-14-2009, 12:19 AM
No its very uncomon, another gm with this motor is 2500 non duramax trucks. I have a friend that manages a mechanic shop and he talked to a mechanic of 30 years and since that motor has came out in 1999 he has replaced 2, one was in a ambulance and the other was in a truck with damn near 300k miles on it. Also today at the dealer while i was unpacking my stuff from it i talked to a mechanic that had been there for 5 years and i asked how many has he known of that have went out, he smiled pointed to mine and said that one. I do have a heavy foot but i dont think that it would do that, something must have been wrong. Like you said there are bad ones every so often.
wow, i'm sorry man. i would be devastated if this ever happened to my Hummer. Well, you should go buy a vehicle you like, but hopefully you still hang out on the forum once in a while even if you don't drive the 2 anymore.

Luv2Camp
02-14-2009, 02:14 AM
Didn't I hear that LR was going to be bought out by an Indian company? Maybe I Dreamt it....

And Hummer may be bought by a Chinese company!

brad_p
02-14-2009, 06:01 AM
Yes Tata now owns jag and rover. O and guess what, the engines fine. Long story im still getting out of it my father was gonna cut me a check for 13k and replace the motor for 3 and use the h3 to tow behind his RV instead of the jeep he currently uses. He got the motor out today and it was perfectly fine a bolt had backed off on the trans causing the motor to be locked up, fcking pos dealer they almost got away with it and im sure we would have never gotten the truth. Im still getting out of it because within the next year im gonna have to get something new anyways and it would be smarter for me to do it now instead of waiting. Ill keep you guys posted on everything i didnt get much out of my dad on the phone he was a bit pissed.

tomp
02-14-2009, 07:48 AM
Land Rover has 60 years of building almost the same vehical so i guess there is something right about them.

My Brother bought one and got rid of it as it kept stalling on the freeway and kept leaving him stranded and had to be towed in.

Intercooled
02-14-2009, 02:21 PM
So your father gave you the truck. Now he is going to cut you a check for 13K.

Your words a couple posts back:
" my father gave it to me. He says its time for me to take responability so i have to be more open to the more normal things in life."

Is your father Barack Obama? "The new Era of responsiblilty"

Does your father want another son?

dna
02-15-2009, 01:58 AM
Hey, I've got both a 03 H2 and a 06 LR3 - the LR3 has the 4.4 v8 (made by Jag) and fully loaded.

I can tell you that the LR3 is a very nice ride - personally I really can't decide which is nicer. Yes the H2 is bigger and more aggressive but the LR3 still has a rough look mixed with alot of sport - it is much faster off the line and more luxurious inside. I also added a full ss sport exhaust and can say that the sound out of the 4.4 sounds agressive. I haven't done any offroading with the LR3 but have read that they are one of (if the the most) capable machines for serious offroading.

The wife loves the LR3 way more - though I'm split. I've had the H2 for 4 years with little to no issues (has 110KM). I've had the LR3 for 6 mths and no issues as of yet. Yes I've heard they are problematic, but that was the 04 and prior. The LR3 is a totally new line/product designed in 05 - it is not the old Disco (it is totally new both mechanically, electrically, body, etc and from what I've read they are reliable now?? Time will tell).

Oh, fuel wise they are the same. The H2 needs 22L to go 100km (yes I'm Canadian) while the LR3 only needs 18L to go the same distance - but the LR3 NEEDS premium gas which more than offsets the 4L savings.

Anyways, sorry for the bad luck you had with your H2. I'm quite surprised your engine is shat only after 88k miles. I ride mine hard all the time (lead foot disease) and the engine still sounds and rides as strong as the day I got it. Plus I pull a boat, tent trailer, util trailer all the time in the summer with it, and have taken it long distances many times. Did you do routine oil changes? Did your mechanic explain what may have caused your engine to pack it in so soon?

OrangeCrush
02-15-2009, 02:08 AM
Brad,

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this but I saw on ebay there was a motor and trans for like 1500 bucks. It was a take out of an '08 I think.

Point is, I'm sure you could find a deal like that rather than spend 7 grand.

HTH's,

Mark

brad_p
02-15-2009, 06:27 AM
no guys read a few post back, the engines fine it was the trans had a bolt back out or something. I am still deciding to get out of it because its smarter for me to do that. On the upside i should get more money off the h2 now.

OrangeCrush
02-15-2009, 01:23 PM
Sorry, didn't read all the posts... good luck with your decision.

Mark

SummitUp
02-15-2009, 08:57 PM
Land Rover has 60 years of building almost the same vehical so i guess there is something right about them.

My Brother bought one and got rid of it as it kept stalling on the freeway and kept leaving him stranded and had to be towed in.

A good friend of mine was driving on I-25 in Denver one day in his Land Rover Discovery and threw a rod. Totally grenaded the engine, and no, he didn't run it out of oil!

http://i552.photobucket.com/albums/jj360/Colorado_Breeze/Miscellaneous/v8pistons.gif

IRA51
02-16-2009, 06:35 PM
we have seen very few problems with GM's 6.0 ,in fact they last over 170000 miles as a rule and we have had quite a few go over 200000 and run fine and pass enissions . I don't know what happened to yours ,but I'll bet I could have fixed it for far less than $7000.00. :raar:

HumminNBoatin'
02-16-2009, 08:17 PM
Brad,

Sounds like my advise is a little late but I would chime in anyway. Bottom line is it sounds like you dont have the $7G's liquid to do the fix. But the vehicle is paid for and you knew you could get money down with it on a new truck. Now with that beeing said.

The whole thing comes down to you wanting to conserve a little money. Well man its a great thing that your pop's found the problem to be minor. Did he already scrath you the check? Is the deal done??

Just keep in mind a H2 might cost $$ to run and maintain BUT, if its paid for well thats alot cheaper than a new Car payment and maintenence.

Eric

brad_p
02-16-2009, 09:54 PM
Yeh he is cutting me a check for 13k and then hes gonna turn around and sell it and give me the difference.

xZach
02-16-2009, 09:58 PM
Im sure an 06 is worth a lot more than $13K even with no engine, hopefully you get a big difference

Flesh
02-16-2009, 11:58 PM
If your father is trying to teach you the right thing to do, it probably isn't a good idea to get rid of a perfectly good PAID for vehicle for another. Unless theres an absolute must for a different vehicle, it just sounds like you WANT something new?

Im not trying to sound like a jerk or anything but maintaining a vehicle is a lot cheaper than getting into car payments for the years to come.

TGCOFTN
02-17-2009, 02:33 AM
I would fix it, and keep it.........no way would I get rid of mine. Once you get use to driving a Hummer, there is no other vehicle that can compete with it.

2007 Hummer H2 (27,600 Miles)
2008 Hummer H2 ( 8,200 Miles)

Both have been trouble free, with no problems,

ROX
02-17-2009, 07:58 PM
Sorry to hear you're having trouble with your truck Brad.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure it'll be the right decision for you. There has been a lot of good advice on here about how to keep it though, and whatever you do, BUY AMERICAN!!! (my .02) :D

DuckTruck
02-17-2009, 10:03 PM
Dude...7K for a new motor......that is crazy. Ever heard of a rebuild?

DUCK

xZach
02-17-2009, 10:12 PM
Get a complete engine from an auto recycling center. They take the cars apart properly and will sell you everything you need. You could get a complete 6.0L for less than 2 grand (complete with computer) and spend the other 5 grand on installation, aftermarket parts or gas!