PDA

View Full Version : Why less power than Escalade 6.0L

8MYROVER
01-11-2003, 03:08 AM
Do any of you techno wizards know why the 6.0 H2 motor produces less torque and horsepower in what is an indentical motor in Cadillac Escalade? Is it merely a function of engine programing or is the cam and other aspects of the motor different?

8MYROVER
01-11-2003, 03:08 AM
Do any of you techno wizards know why the 6.0 H2 motor produces less torque and horsepower in what is an indentical motor in Cadillac Escalade? Is it merely a function of engine programing or is the cam and other aspects of the motor different?

MAC
01-11-2003, 04:47 AM
Terminator, interesting point, I never knew that. Do you know what is the real HP and torque of H2? especially when comparing to Cadillac. My 12 years old son is quite upset that Hummer has less HP than Escalade.

Mango
01-11-2003, 01:00 PM
The cadillac engine has higher compression (10:1) and a shorter stroke crankshaft. Probably has different computer programming also. SMA sells a computer program upgrade that supposed to boost hp by 30 to 40hp. With air intake , high flow muffler, and computer upgrade you should be in the 350+ hp range with the H2 engine. It bugs me also that GM did not put their most potent power plant in the H2.

Mango -- Saltwater Flyfisherman, Photographer, Varmint Hunter -- Fort Worth, Tx

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

TERMINATOR
01-11-2003, 02:39 PM
Again, what GM advertises and whats true may be different. The 6.0 in both the Caddy and H2 are the same mechanically. Same bore, stroke and compression. The computer programs may be different.

A good aftermarket computer program might be worth 15 hp and have other benefits like better shift points, etc.

Mike97ZJ
01-11-2003, 02:54 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the difference was just because of different exhaust and intake routing. IF there REALLY is in fact a difference at all. As said above, this wouldn't be the first time GM has under-rated an engine to make thier flagship car look good.

I think at one time they were marketing the Escalade as the most powerful fullsize SUV.

1997 Grand Cherokee TSi
It's got some lift, skids, and rock rails, among other things.

CraigylwH2
01-11-2003, 03:06 PM
8MYROVER... what kinda rover did you have??... i had the 02 range rover... and the H2 TORE it up... theres no comparison in ride quality and comfort... get back to me

Klaus
01-11-2003, 03:09 PM
As stated in an earlier post, the engines have different compression ratios. Also, GM even gives different engine codes for them. The Hummer engine is listed as a Vortec 6000 LQ4:

http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpowertrain/engines/vortec/apps/vehicle/vortec6000_lq4.htm

The Cadillac engine is listed as a Vortec HO 6000 LQ9:

http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpowertrain/engines/vortec/apps/vehicle/vortec6000_ho.htm

Klaus

NSXTC
01-11-2003, 04:13 PM
Even GM's site states that the H2 has 325 and not 316 as in brochures. Why?

http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpowertrain/engines/vortec/apps/vehicle/vortec6000_lq4.htm

Regards,
David
----------
H2SUT.com
----------

Mango
01-11-2003, 05:54 PM
Looks like the difference is really just the compression ratios and computer programming. Cadillac list a "short stroke crankshaft" in their propoganda but it looks like the bore and stroke are actually the same. I wonder if the Caddy requires higher octane fuel.

Mango -- Saltwater Flyfisherman, Photographer, Varmint Hunter -- Fort Worth, Tx

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."

Hummie2
01-11-2003, 10:04 PM
Don't know what Caddy recomends for fuel, but one thing for certain the caddy's 10:1 compression won't handle near as much timing advance on 87 octane (all other conditions being equal) as what 9.4:1 will. The quickest way to make a engine lose torque under acceleration is to have the computer start retarding the timing a little because the knock sensors sensed detonation occuring.

I would rather have 9.4:1 on 87octane with more timing than 10:1 on 87 with less advance. Now higher octane would be a different story alltogather, but you still might not break even considering the price difference for premium fuel.

Don

Steve R
01-12-2003, 04:05 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mango:
It bugs me also that GM did not put their most potent power plant in the H2.
MangoQUOTE]

They're just saving that upgrade to help sell the newer models coming down the line!

8MYROVER
01-12-2003, 07:17 PM
Thank you all for the imput. What this truck really needs is either the Duramax diesel, or the 8.1L engine as an option that I have in my 01 Suburban. That is an incredibly powerful motor right out of the box.

My Rover is an O1 Discovery, (soon to be gone!)