PDA

View Full Version : Hummer on front page of USA Today News Section

HummerJim
03-03-2009, 11:35 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/news/world/iraq/2009-03-02-iraqcars_N.htm
From the article today,
"Just as General Motors is halting production of the Hummer, and other sport-utility vehicles fall out of favor with cost-conscious and eco-friendly Americans, the gas-guzzling behemoths are experiencing a rebirth among young and wealthy Iraqis"

"Now that security has improved, Hummers — the slimmed-down, civilian versions of the U.S. military Humvees that have patrolled Baghdad for six years — have earned a reputation as a sturdy car that can stand up to Iraq's crumbling streets."

We could have told them they were rugged machines!

Dave92270
03-04-2009, 02:54 AM
"Here's a bailout idea for the American auto industry: Send all those unwanted SUVs to Iraq."

unwanted??? we want them

"sport-utility vehicles fall out of favor with cost-conscious and eco-friendly Americans"

what a crap. sorry, couldn't but vent..

HummerMann
03-04-2009, 02:33 PM
There are still a lot of people in the US that want, and many that need large, rugged SUVs. Hummer is the best of the breed when it comes to comfort and toughness. I have several people in my company that have switched back to large SUVs after only a year in their small econo boxes!
GM needs to ride this out and not bow to public pressures, because I think there is a definite NEED & future for large SUVs and the Hummer. Try hauling around a 6800 pound front loader for any distance with any other vehicle - I've done it and nothing I've driven beats the H2. In the sand and snow, I'll put my H2 up against anything except an H1!

solarflare
03-04-2009, 11:42 PM
Yeah, what he said above!
Some of us need the H2's...either for business or just to be able to make it to work during a blizzard.....H2 is the best and only one to drive in that weather!

Guinnessboy
03-05-2009, 04:25 AM
everything is cyclical....before you know it the suv and truck phase will be back and we will be sitting on some valuable used vehicles.

ROX
03-05-2009, 04:55 AM
Some of us need the H2's...either for business or just to be able to make it to work during a blizzard.....H2 is the best and only one to drive in that weather!
:D H2 and H3 sales in the Northwest were up during our 2 week snowstorm over Christmas!:clapping:

TXSUT
03-05-2009, 02:22 PM
Try hauling around a 6800 pound front loader for any distance with any other vehicle - I've done it and nothing I've driven beats the H2.

Are you saying that an H2 does a better job hauling that loader than a 1-ton 4x4 diesel would?

frenzy1
03-05-2009, 03:36 PM
There are still a lot of people in the US that want, and many that need large, rugged SUVs. Hummer is the best of the breed when it comes to comfort and toughness. I have several people in my company that have switched back to large SUVs after only a year in their small econo boxes!
GM needs to ride this out and not bow to public pressures, because I think there is a definite NEED & future for large SUVs and the Hummer. Try hauling around a 6800 pound front loader for any distance with any other vehicle - I've done it and nothing I've driven beats the H2. In the sand and snow, I'll put my H2 up against anything except an H1!
:perfect10s:

ROX
03-05-2009, 03:47 PM
Are you saying that an H2 does a better job hauling that loader than a 1-ton 4x4 diesel would?
:confused: I'm not sure what he meant by that. For one thing, that's a tiny loader (tractor), and secondly, maybe he's never driven a full size pickup.

HummerMann
03-05-2009, 06:12 PM
My construction company as a lot of big trucks. Luckily when the stimulus package starts I can put more of them to work on bridge construction. Now that my body is in its 60s, I prefer to drive my personal Hummer H2, over the F350 diesel duallies and the bigger diesel rigs. Those things don't make good everyday drivers unless your back is tougher than mine. It lacks the power and brakes of the bigger rigs, but it is more practical as an every day driver. If you want the ultimate pickup/hauler get an International 7300 CXT - not very practical as an everyday driver though!
The H2 does a lot better for my purposes than my old Navigator did and ten times better than my old F350 4 X 4 with the 7 mpg V10 that rides like a buckboard with less than 3000 pounds in the back. As I approach my 70s, ride has become key in importance to me along with the versatility. On site, my H2 has only been stuck in the mud twice, much better than my other machines, but I have aggressive tires too - Toyos. I don't normally haul anything around, but when I pitch in, the H2 is the best hauler I've had that I can still drive every day, not destroy my old back, and take the wife out to dinner in when I get home.

HummerJim
03-05-2009, 06:39 PM
You're just a young'un, Hummer Mann! I'm in my 70s and I'm just happy I can still get in my H2 without using the step bar (I am 6 ft 5 though). So can my wife. I bought my H2 because unless you have a 4 X 4 with aggressive tires, you're not going to visit me at the Lake of the Ozarks in the snow or when it rains. I've had over a dozen 4 x 4s in my life - and the H2 is BY FAR my favorite.
Funny thing Hummer Mann, I had an H3 and I got the H2 partially as a reward for beating CA, the fact it could haul more in it, but mostly because of what it could do and still ride well on the highway and in town - YEP, I have a trick back too, and if I ever wake up in the morning and it doesn't hurt somewhere, I'll know I'm dead.
I almost bought an H1 Alpha from Lynch, but after he saw me get in for a test drive and ew and ah, he looked me in the eye and said you're going to be much happier in an H2 and so will your back, but if you still want to test drive it........
As I approach the twilight of my years, I'm just glad I got to own and drive an H2 and I'm keeping mine for along time.

fourfourto
03-06-2009, 12:57 AM
HummerJim
Im passing through that way Saturday 5/23 do you know of any good campgrounds ? just staying the day
Im thinking of staying at the state park or maybe a KOA.

Some light wheeling places to anything interesting (I dont want to wheel to hard with the camper along,I have to make it to MN and back)

:giggling: I was down in Fla last year and took Mom 77 and Dad 79 wheeling through some swamps the truck was so muddy dad picks up mom from the H3 an then slipped back and the both did a easy fall ,they though it was funny.

HummerJim
03-06-2009, 01:35 AM
I'd have to give my vote to Riverview RV Park, just below Bagnell Dam. I believe they just opened for the season and it's convenient to everything. If you want remote and away from everyone Sherwood Landing is just down W from me and it's open year round. I'd recommend it for a Walden Pond type experience. This time of year I doubt you'd need rexervations anywhere.
The problem with the Grand Glaze Offroad Trail is that this time of year it's very desolate and it's one of those areas of the country where your cell phone won't work everyplace - but the scenery is gorgeous and it's a beginner trail with not a whole lot of big rocks, but lots of big ruts after winter. Lynch has used it for their Hummer experience - be forewarned when it rains you have several narrow but deep creeks to navigate and lots of mud.
I'd highly recommend a visit to Vista Grande, voted the best TeX Mex restaurant in the Midwest for 5 consecutive years and an IMOs pizza too. This is a great time of year to come, before all the bugs are out and the summer people come in for the season - March April and Sept Oct are my favorite months here.

fourfourto
03-06-2009, 01:50 AM
:beerchug: Thanks Im going to look into them.
I think the state park has caverns,took a quick look at Riverview RV Park it looks nice.

I cant find any info on the Grand Glaze Offroad Trail ?
GPS info

You might see me passing through,it says FUNFINDER on the back