PDA

View Full Version : Recommended dealer near Hattiesburg, MS???

MapsGuy
03-09-2009, 08:26 PM
I recently acquired a new to me 2006 H2, with 14,000 miles on it. I'd like to get it to a dealer (or qualified) mechanic/technician to make sure everything's ok and there're no impending issues. It still has about 12 months left on the bumper to bumper warranty, so it'd be nice to have tires, wheels, brakes, suspension, hoses, belts, fluids, tune up, etc. reviewed to make sure there're no about to fail component/system.

It looks like my choices for dealers are Jackson, MS; Mobile, AL; New Orleans, LA; Baton Rouge, LA; Montgomery, AL and, Birmingham, AL at 85, 90, 110, 120, 200, and 235+ miles distant. I've made several calls recently to the Jackson area dealer and always gotten shuffled to "Patrick's" voice mail, their "hummer guy," but haven't gotten a return call yet.

Any suggestions for which of these dealers have a good/great service department for my H2, or for a real 4WD mechanic who'd be equally or better equipped to look over my new H2 and do needed repairs would be very much appreciated. Sooner is better. I was hoping to get this done on Monday March 16 barring serious issue discovered.

Rick
rickatcrowseydotcom

Trinity
03-10-2009, 03:16 AM
Gerry Lane Hummer in Baton Rouge. Worth the drive, they will treat you right, and are just down right good Hummer folks. Call and ask for Terry, the General Manager, and explain your situation, and I'm sure he'll let you know if he can help you.

MapsGuy
03-10-2009, 03:28 AM
Thanks so much!!!

I'll give Gerry a call tomorrow.

Boss Hoss
03-10-2009, 03:41 AM
Make sure you are under factory warranty or else. They will tell you anything if you call in(oh yeah thats covered under gmpp) then they call you to break the news. My last experience there will be my last.

MapsGuy
03-10-2009, 03:49 AM
Any recommendations other than Baton Rouge?

(The booklet that came with it seems to suggest it's still under warranty, but I'll double check. It was first sold to the hockey club I bought it from in mid 2006 and has 14,800 miles on it.)

jmsspratlin
03-10-2009, 08:49 AM
Stay away from the kids in Mobile, AL. Bad Choice there. The Jackson,MS guys are not to customer friendly when it comes to doing service work regarding warranty issues. I use to live in Jackson,MS so I know how they operate. I have an 06 as well, however due to the age, my warranty runs out in November of this year. May be a dumb question, but how do you still have 12 months?

jmsspratlin
03-10-2009, 08:57 AM
Any recommendations other than Baton Rouge?

(The booklet that came with it seems to suggest it's still under warranty, but I'll double check. It was first sold to the hockey club I bought it from in mid 2006 and has 14,800 miles on it.)

Quite a drive, but so far as MS, and FL, I'd have to vote on University Hummer in Tallahassee,FL. They are a great group and have wonderful customer service. They'll treat you vehicle right and put you in a rental while they have it. However, if it needs some body stuff done to it, PLEASE tell them not to send it to Champion Chev. They are not only brainless, they have no idea of the value of Hummers. I got Gatorback applied under warranty and they not only had to retint my front windows, they also broke the rear passenger door arm rest off and tried to glue it back, scratched up the interoor plastics massively, and had to repaint the rear door, and front hood due to their lack of "caring". I had to take it back a total of 4 times to this one shop. Now, I have noticed that where they painted the rear door, the paint doesn't even match.....sorry for the rant:soapbox:

MapsGuy
03-10-2009, 01:14 PM
Re warranty left ... Carfax title check shows it was first sold to the previous owner 5/12/2006. Owner's manual supplement says warranty is first of 4 years or 50,000 miles. 4 years from first purchase date would be May 2010, about 12 months from now.

Re a dealer to work on it - Any votes for other dealerships or individuals?

So far it's looking pretty grim to be a Hummer owner, with 1 vote of no confidence for Jackson, MS; 1 run-away vote and 1 does-great vote for Baton Rouge; 1 run-away vote for Mobile; and 1 does-great vote for Tallahassee. Gee, I wonder what the towing charge would be for a 350 mile trip?

Boss Hoss
03-10-2009, 03:59 PM
If you are under warranty you should be fine at just about any dealer. It is after your factory which you need to be concerned. As far as service goes, my experience is that ownign a Hummer is no different than owning any other gm product, same service. The exception, like Jamie point out, is the dealership in Tallahassee(used to be Proctor?) as they treat you like you bought a 55k vehicle and they value your future loyalty. Just go to whoever is closest.

Boss Hoss
03-10-2009, 04:00 PM
Also, just call the dealers service department, give them your vin and they can tell you when your warrant runs out.

HummerMann
03-11-2009, 12:31 AM
I think one of the biggest reasons Hummers aren't selling is because of the scarcity of dealers. The few around now are close to closing their doors. We all know there are several unique quirks to the H2. I had to laugh when one non Hummer GM dealer told me the windshield molding couldn't possibly be making so much noise, it must be something else.
Then there was a Cadillac dealer with my '03 that took off the hood braces to change the air cleaner element. Having owned H2s for seven years now, I dread the thought of taking it to a non Hummer dealer. Want to have some fun? Take your H2 to another brand GM dealer or regular car repair shop and tell them that you're BCM is acting up or the air suspension isn't working properly....been there done that.

Devis1957
03-11-2009, 04:36 AM
I bought my H2 at Gerry Lane in Baton Rouge, a water leak developed a few days later. Although I was pretty upset during the process, it took about 18 months, 5 headliners and 2 windshields before they found the leaking roof seam over the passenger side. I have to say they have some great folks there, always welcomed me with a smile and a guarantee that they would find the problem and fix it.

The water leak first showed up from the grab handle on the passenger side above the corner of the dash. I have had no other mechanical issues with it and I still love the Hummer.

They offered to buy it back from me a couple of months ago when they were looking for some good, low mileage vehicles. It is a 2006 in great condition with 13,000 miles and has the dash boobies, and I'm not interested in the flat chested dashes they have now, so I'm keeping it.

Be sure to ask for David or Terry.