PDA

View Full Version : H2 camera installation

FiremanJay
11-19-2005, 11:33 AM
Just got my H2 camera going to install it tomorrow. Since i wont be tying into the trailer wiring like the instuctions say.(have the off road lights installed on the grill)
i would like to make it possible for the cam to come on with the reverse lights, which i will tap into that wire at the back of the vehicle so when placed into reverse it will activate monitor (which is my nav screen.) Also i would like to place a switch in line somewhere to activate the system while driving so i can see whats behind me. The system has a 12 volt acc. wire as well as a 12 volt wire for the reverse lights and a ground. should i hook up a relay as well as a diode and does anybody know the best way to wire the relay so when the switch is on the power wont flow back to the reverse lights and turn them on while driving forward. im usually pretty good at wiring but i am having a brain fart as to how to wire this up
thanks

FiremanJay
11-19-2005, 11:33 AM
Just got my H2 camera going to install it tomorrow. Since i wont be tying into the trailer wiring like the instuctions say.(have the off road lights installed on the grill)
i would like to make it possible for the cam to come on with the reverse lights, which i will tap into that wire at the back of the vehicle so when placed into reverse it will activate monitor (which is my nav screen.) Also i would like to place a switch in line somewhere to activate the system while driving so i can see whats behind me. The system has a 12 volt acc. wire as well as a 12 volt wire for the reverse lights and a ground. should i hook up a relay as well as a diode and does anybody know the best way to wire the relay so when the switch is on the power wont flow back to the reverse lights and turn them on while driving forward. im usually pretty good at wiring but i am having a brain fart as to how to wire this up
thanks

ROX
11-19-2005, 01:25 PM
The trailer wiring will still work, even with the grill lights. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

OrangeCrush
11-19-2005, 09:46 PM
Jay,

Let me know how it works. I ordered 2 cameras for mine because I was afraid that the 3rd brake light cam would point too much towards the ground and not see what was behind it.

Soooo, I ordered the 2 cams so I could have one pointing towards the hitch and one out the back.

Let us know...

Thanks,

Mark

FiremanJay
11-19-2005, 10:37 PM
i didnt think the trailer wiring would work cause i had to disconnet the power connector for the grill lights at the main fuse box under the hood

FiremanJay
11-19-2005, 10:40 PM
my thinking at this time is: since the instructions call for the use of the reverse lights and that wire directly to my monitor activation wire. i should just be able to put in a diode so the current wont flow back to the lights and run a hot switch to the same activation wire. so in reverse the monitor automatically goes to the cam then while in drive or park the switch will make the monitor think im in reverse. i will play with it tomorrow at the firehouse. more of your tax dollars at work. i get paid to play with my toys at work. how awesome is that?

FiremanJay
11-20-2005, 03:52 PM
Well i figured it out. i realized that the trailer wiring works even with the off road lights it is the trailer brake that wont. but i hooked up the wires thrugh the right rear tail lamp assembley tapped into the reverse light positive. and ran all the cables to the front and placed a diode in the reverse light positive line. obtained another power source and the unit plays through the NAV system it is set up using the pac-audio adapter that i got for the stock NAV to allow the indash DVD player to work with a switch. the pac-audio adapter allows for 2 video sources to be hooked up one becomes a default wich when placed into reverse the camera automatically comes on the screen while in drive or any other mode i throw a switch and the camera plays through the NAV unit. here are some pics

FiremanJay
11-20-2005, 03:53 PM

FiremanJay
11-20-2005, 03:53 PM

FiremanJay
11-20-2005, 03:54 PM

JetEyeNite
11-20-2005, 06:41 PM
That looks great...
do you mind telling me where you got the cameras and how much?
thanks in advance..

FiremanJay
11-20-2005, 10:16 PM
i got the camera from http://www.mobilevideo4less.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?S...AM&Category_Code=MCC (http://www.mobilevideo4less.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MV&Product_Code =H2CAM&Category_Code=MCC)
this is just for the camera. But im sure you can order the whole package.

FiremanJay
11-20-2005, 10:18 PM
H2 rocks thanks for the input on the trailer wiring.

FiremanJay
11-20-2005, 10:22 PM
orange its a real nice camera has a great field of view i can see from about 1 inch from the receiver to at least 20 feet back as well as good side vision. it is a real crisp picture.
you can see the tow hooks on the rear bumper. so i am sure i shouldnt have any issues with a ball installed.

OrangeCrush
11-20-2005, 10:45 PM
Dude,

That's great. Damn it, I knew I should have waited...lol. I'm so damn impatient.

Great install and pics. You gave me a great idea if you don't mind me stealing your idea. I love the toggle plate to switch between NAV and DVD. Very professional look.

Thanks for the pics.

Mark

ROX
11-21-2005, 12:09 AM
Sweet setup! I'm glad you got it all figured out. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

FiremanJay
11-21-2005, 01:26 AM
thanks

JamesT
11-21-2005, 01:14 PM
I have the brake camera...its adjustable...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by OrangeCrush:
Jay,

Let me know how it works. I ordered 2 cameras for mine because I was afraid that the 3rd brake light cam would point too much towards the ground and not see what was behind it.

Soooo, I ordered the 2 cams so I could have one pointing towards the hitch and one out the back.

Let us know...

Thanks,

Mark </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

JamesT
11-21-2005, 01:15 PM
http://www.trailduty.com

Phil D a forum member!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JetEyeNite:
That looks great...
do you mind telling me where you got the cameras and how much?
thanks in advance.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

FiremanJay
11-22-2005, 04:04 PM
Sorry phild i dint know anything about trail duty but i do now

GusBros
02-04-2007, 10:59 PM
NICSH
:D

FiremanJay
02-07-2007, 12:04 AM
Thanks, When are you going to do yours?

SoonerBoarder
02-07-2007, 02:00 AM
All you need to do is put in one normal 12v relay.

http://www.bcae1.com/images/jpegs/relaybot.jpg

The connections are:

85 negative
86 12v + that gets hot when you flip a switch
87 12v +
87a 12v + that gets hot when you put it in reverse
30 goes to the 12v + of the screen (normally 87a and 30 would be the same wire connected together)

Under normal circumstances the reverse light will turn on the screen. If you want to see it while driving, flip the switch and it will come on but not backfeed to the reverse lights.

It works like a charm, I have it wired up this way. I have the same camera but with the little screen that attaches to the windshield. The switch and relay is inside the overhead console. No problem.

SUT NEIL
02-07-2007, 08:20 AM
I've had both front and rear cameras that are integrated into my factory NAV system for some time now. The rear camera is set up the same as discussed here in that it comes on automatically when the truck is in reverse. Both cameras may also be activated manually at any time via two switches (one for front camera & one for the rear). I mounted these switched on the rear of the overhead console. The cameras are great for viewing objects in front and rear that you cannot see from the drivers seat and are also valuable when lining up my rig to attach the trailer to either the front or rear hitch. To compensate for the lack of depth perception inherent with camera views I've also installed backup sensors in both the front & rear bumpers. These sensors are equipped with two digital displays (one for front & one for rear) that display the distance away from object in increments of 1/2' to 6' along with providing an audible warning relative to how close I am to an object. These two displays are mounted to the inside windshield at the top left corner. The sensors are triggered in the exact same way as the cameras - the rear sensors are automatically activated when in reverse and both front & rear sensors can be manually activated at any time via the switches mentioned above. I mounted two sensors in the rear bumper, one at each corner but was unable to mount one in the center of the rear bumper due to inaccurate readings caused by the rear mounted spare tire. Will probably just add a hitch mounted rear sensor in the future. I love this setup.:D :D :D :D

obzidian
02-12-2007, 03:43 PM
i was in the process of using that pac adapter for the stock headunit for a similar setup but couldn't get it to ork properly. Did you install it yourself?

I ask because its kinda tricky, i guess, however, not very difficult. I could get the image to return back to normal with the adapter. The screen would shift, blink, roll around on the screen, thus not allowing the stock nav functions to be utilized. I'm not sure if it was defective but i just returned it and considered that its just a "ok" product.

got any feedback on that unit? thanks!

WHOSNEXT
02-12-2007, 04:25 PM
i was in the process of using that pac adapter for the stock headunit for a similar setup but couldn't get it to ork properly. Did you install it yourself?

I ask because its kinda tricky, i guess, however, not very difficult. I could get the image to return back to normal with the adapter. The screen would shift, blink, roll around on the screen, thus not allowing the stock nav functions to be utilized. I'm not sure if it was defective but i just returned it and considered that its just a "ok" product.

got any feedback on that unit? thanks!

I installed mine last year and worked fine and have not read of anyone having problems.....

obzidian
02-13-2007, 12:12 AM
well, i guess im the only idiot that got the install wrong!! :)

i haven't tried after the initial attempt, however, i was at it for about 6-8hrs and i couldn't get it to work. Maybe it was a bad unit, but i gave up on it...

im thinkin of going to a pioneer Z1 and see what i can with that..

FiremanJay
02-13-2007, 09:57 PM
it is a very easy install for the pac unit i actually had to install it twice after my first head unit took a dive. i removed it and sent it back got the new unit and installed it in there and no problems. the directions are pretty straight forward.
on the other hand the avic-z1 is also a nice unit but you will have to bypass some things if you want the unit to play when not in park.
check out this site
http://www.avic411.com
you can find some great info on all the pioneer units