PDA

View Full Version : broken header bolt

Hellz
05-18-2009, 09:55 PM
SO Sat morning i starting my 03' H2 up, and got the loud ticking exhaust leak sound. pretty much knew right away what was going on. popped the hood and counted the bolt heads.. sure enough 1 was gone.

03 H2 bought about 3 months ago w/ 68k miles. got it for 19.5k out the door with 1 year/12k mile warranty on it.

got a appt with the dealership ( chrysler dealership) to have them fix the issue. so hopefully no surprises.

think i will have them check the air ride bags and the front wheel bearings while it is in.

anyways, this was just more of a whats going on post than a i need help post.

thanks

IRA51
05-19-2009, 12:06 AM
haveing a 03 fixed at the dealer ? all it is is a 6.0 chevy engine . did you check and see if it didn't just vibrate out and fall off ? if so you buy a new bolt and screw it in and you might be done . most any shop can fix a loose exaust manifold or header at less than half the cost of the Hummer dealer .

Hellz
05-19-2009, 12:53 AM
it is the dealership i bought the H2 from.

as long as i go to the dealership i purchased it from, i dont have to pay the deductable on the extended warranty service.

the bolt broke off just a little under flush of the header. so no way i was going to get some vice grips on it without pulling the whole header off.
If i was going to do that, i might as well throw on some aftermarket headers.

ill give these guys a shot before i go somewhere else. if they can handle this simple thing, then ill keep going back. worst case, i take it to a chevy dealership and pay the $50 deduct.

HummBob
05-19-2009, 01:25 AM
According to my delaer, this bolts breaking is an ALL TOO COMMON thing!!!

I had JBA Headers installed last week and my delaer showed me one of my bolts that was busted......

H2R
09-04-2010, 03:16 PM
If it were me I would look at ARP Bolts made for headers with the locking rings. I owned a Super Gasser and always used the products.

http://www.arp-bolts.com/

RJ03
09-14-2010, 02:12 PM
Hi Guys, I just noticed I have at least three broken. I'm planning on replacing all with new gaskets. I have a couple of questions, what should the new bolts be torqued to? Should I use any Antiseeze or Locktitie on the threads? And last but not least, should the engine be cold, warm, or hot in order to remove the bolts the easiest? Thanks for your help, RJ03

alpha
09-15-2010, 12:51 AM
I have had mine done 2x by the dealer already in my 03 H2. Covered under extended warranty to 100K miles - 72K on it now... Dealer says it's a very common issue...

vetteSUT
09-16-2010, 06:18 AM
header bolts breaking is a common thing? That's the first time I've ever heard that for a vehicle... usually if someone overcranks and puts too much torque on one. Just weird how it just randomly happened. You gotta remember that if you buy stainless header bolts, they are weaker than plain steel.