PDA

View Full Version : XM Antenna

H2Chuck
11-18-2004, 08:56 PM
Has anyone that has added the XM Kit to their 03 hummer found a source for a magnetic or suction mount antenna that has a compatible interface into harness on GM and if so can you post web site or inform me please .I do not want to drill holes in my roof to mount factory GM supplied antenna .
Thanks

H2Chuck
Has anyone that has added the XM Kit to their 03 hummer found a source for a magnetic or suction mount antenna that has a compatible interface into harness on GM and if so can you post web site or inform me please .I do not want to drill holes in my roof to mount factory GM supplied antenna .
Thanks

H2Chuck
Thanks

jebia
11-20-2004, 12:53 PM
Hi Chuck,

I also didn't want to mount the antenna on the roof. I decided to try a center dash mount (my garmin gps antenna is shown in the pic next to the xm antenna). I ran the wiring from the xm reciever (on lower center console) under the panel under the steering wheel and up to the dash near the driver a piller ( think I had to also remove the panel for the lightswitch and vent), from there I wedged the wiring between the winshield and the leading edge of the dash. Both gps and xm wires are hidding and used sticky back tape to secure the antennas to the dash.

Its been almost 3 months now with a few out of town trips to Austin and Las Vegas and every day communtes to work. It works great and I have no reason to re-locate either. If you drove alot downtown with tall buidings it may not work as well, but even a roof mountwould have issues as well.

Jon
Albuquerqu

jebia
11-20-2004, 12:54 PM
Pic of antenna location

HHummer
11-20-2004, 02:39 PM
I believe someone successfully placed an XM antenna under the right plastic cover at the back of the hood. I already had mine on the roof in front of the Gobi rack, so I did not try this, but it does work very well under the fiberglass on a Corvette, so should work fine and would be invisible to thieves.

H2Chuck
11-21-2004, 11:13 PM
I will take some pics as soon as i start this .
I have 2 options that i have figured I will try and utilise.I got my kit (XM) and after i studied the mount on factory supplied antenna,I had a brain fart and decided I would carefully machine the mounting lug/bolt and the small dowel pin down past the mounting surface or below the seal for antenna and seal the small hole where the wire comes out.So far it looks like it will work fine.I am going to find out this week I hope.If it dont work I can fall back on other member suggested option of trimming the Terk Micro connector to fit the XM reciever.