PDA

View Full Version : Oil change comments and suggestions

vip808
01-13-2005, 04:07 AM
My 2005 H2 is over due for it's first oil change.. i was debating if i should do it myself or have it serviced at a shop.. i'm leaning towards the notion of doing it myself and using a K&N oil filter and 5-30 Royal Purple syn oil.. anyone know how to reset the oil life indicator? any help would be greatly appreciated.

vip808
My 2005 H2 is over due for it's first oil change.. i was debating if i should do it myself or have it serviced at a shop.. i'm leaning towards the notion of doing it myself and using a K&N oil filter and 5-30 Royal Purple syn oil.. anyone know how to reset the oil life indicator? any help would be greatly appreciated.

vip808

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
01-13-2005, 09:06 AM
While oil life indicator is showing on dash go to lower button on right of steering wheel and hold it down till oil life resets. You use this same button to clear fuel used, avg fual economy, and ny of the other readns You brin up with the 2 left buttons on steering wheel. it wll not clearodometer of course but You reset Your trip meters that way also.
Oh I was going to suggest that You stick with dealer as much as possible with a vehicle that cost this much. they will keep records for You in data base in case You trade or sell it carries alot of wieght. I'm going to use redline oil in engne , trans., and differential. I guess I;ll use it in tranny and transfer case. I think both are good mabe someone could distinguish for us which would be best. I'm going to redline as that is what My perf. shop uses in the dragsters and rice rockets.
Somebody help us decide as i had been thinking royal purple also.
Dealer will let You bring Your own oil and discount the price. I get free oil change for the first 6 and have used 1.

TAZ
TAZ

DRTYFN
01-13-2005, 02:16 PM
I changed to Amsoil.http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gifhttp://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif
Recommended oil change interval... drum roll please.... 50,000 miles!!! I've just been changing the oil filter and topping up the oil. After 12,000 miles the oil still looks like it's brand new and the engine purrs.
Previously, I had been using Mobil 1 and changed it every 7500-8000 miles.

mbdougl
01-13-2005, 03:48 PM
Oil is Oil. I change mine when the indicator says too with the cheapest oil I can find. I just saw the inside of 454 that had over 200k miles on it and it looked great, very little wear. Most engine deaths occur from overheating or timing chain failure. Change your oil at recommended intervals and you are not going to wear any parts out with regular old .99 oil. Don't fall into the trap and spend too much money on oil, unless maybe you are racing or supercharged. Just because you spent alot on your truck you don't have to spend alot on oil. Just my 2 cents.

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
01-14-2005, 12:21 AM
I had a friend that his Grandpaw lived south of memphis and We were going by that way so hw wanted to say Hi. IN the carport there was a I think 1967 impala. Some may be able to get year right but was inlate sixties. Buddy wanted to put gas in it for him fired it up smooth as could be no smoke and We head to get gas. Got back and admired nice old car they had bought new and it now had 135,000. Buddy looks at me and says He does not change the oil. I told Him he was full ot it. He said every since it was new He change oil filter every 5000 miles and topped of the oil. I said what about sludge in pan etc. He told Me He wondered that and on a week when He had time to come and stay he decided being a mech. to check it over. Pulled pan You could eat out of it. He said the whole engine was that way. I think You are right about the damage come from overheating or heavy dust situation. Buddy said He always used detergent Texaco and would not let You put anything else in it.

TAZ

vip808
01-14-2005, 12:48 AM
RLTAZH2 and all,
Thanks for the help and support

vip808
01-26-2005, 05:02 AM
Just finished my first oil change on my 2005 H2. I used 6QTs of Royal Purple 5-30W and a K&N oil filter HP1007. You need a 14mm socket for the oil plug.
To reset the oil life in my 2005 I had to turn the ignition key to run and press the accelerator pedal 3 times fully and within 5 seconds. The oil life indicator will say oil life reseting and then turn key off.

DennisAJC
01-26-2005, 05:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by vip808:
To reset the oil life in my 2005 I had to turn the ignition key to run and press the accelerator pedal 3 times fully and within 5 seconds. The oil life indicator will say oil life reseting and then turn key off. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You're kidding right? If you click your heals 3 times, will it magically fill with gas? http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

H2Finally
01-26-2005, 06:50 AM
Dennis are you sure? I even tried patting my head while rubbing my stomach -- still no gas.. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
01-26-2005, 05:20 PM
Hey what do You guys thnk of Redline oil and tranny etc. oils. It seems to be popular here in the racing scene whither it be drag, dirt, or oval and even street racing. i have heard good things about royal purple But even My Perf. Shop thinks I should spend the money when We put SC on and change ALL LUBs as far as lubs to Redline.
What's the word on this?
Thanks

TAZ

ChuckE
01-26-2005, 07:21 PM
When I first got my 03 H2 I searched the net for the method of resetting the Oil Life, and I found that "gas pedal 3x" item. I tried it and it worked.

Since then, with other net searching, I read about the hold the steering wheel lower right button (while displaying Oil Life) and it worked also.

Of the two, I prefer the steering wheel reset. Especially since that is the same sort of sequence I use to reset my Trip settings.

HUMMERcustoms.com/TAZ
01-27-2005, 12:59 PM
I forgot to ask best price to buy Redline at.
Does anybody have any ideas on the oil question below?
Thanks

TAZ (Rick)

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RLTAZH2:
Hey what do You guys thnk of Redline oil and tranny etc. oils. It seems to be popular here in the racing scene whither it be drag, dirt, or oval and even street racing. i have heard good things about royal purple But even My Perf. Shop thinks I should spend the money when We put SC on and change ALL LUBs as far as lubs to Redline.
What's the word on this?
Thanks

TAZ <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

GVME20
02-01-2005, 02:17 PM
Has everyone been waiting until the oil life says to change on the first oil change or going ahead and changing it at 3,000 miles.

Does the factory oil have any break in fluids for new motor?

Thanks

Spike
02-01-2005, 03:57 PM
I change my oil every 3,000 miles no matter what the oil life indicator says. In fact I just went this morning for my 15,000 mile oil change.