PDA

View Full Version : The best accessory I've ever found: A $2.95 lifesaver

TonkaH2
12-17-2002, 12:01 AM
Well, maybe not LIFE-saver, but certainly paint-and dent-saver: those little stick on "wide-angle" mirrors you can buy in any auto accessory area.
If you get the ones the are offset and can revolve [that is, they have a back that offsets the mirror at a slight angle] then you can aim them. Do it just right and you can not only see someone in your blind spot, you can also see your rear tires. I've found the best spot is the outermost bottom corner, away from the car. They don't block much viewing area that way.

VERRRY helpful when you can't go any farther forward and have to crawl back out. And you'll never run over a curb while parking again!

-Jack
Yellow H2 adv. on order
"I think I can make it. D'OH!"
sunspotnatural.com

TonkaH2
12-17-2002, 12:01 AM
Well, maybe not LIFE-saver, but certainly paint-and dent-saver: those little stick on "wide-angle" mirrors you can buy in any auto accessory area.
If you get the ones the are offset and can revolve [that is, they have a back that offsets the mirror at a slight angle] then you can aim them. Do it just right and you can not only see someone in your blind spot, you can also see your rear tires. I've found the best spot is the outermost bottom corner, away from the car. They don't block much viewing area that way.

VERRRY helpful when you can't go any farther forward and have to crawl back out. And you'll never run over a curb while parking again!

-Jack
Yellow H2 adv. on order
sunspotnatural.com

JCJ
12-17-2002, 12:13 PM
Mom-in-law brought this accident-saver from Europe (Holland) for me.
Couldn't wait until X-mass.
Has to save me run-ins with invisible objects behind the Hummer.
It is a lens wich you stick on back window and provides wider angle of view.
Haven't seen similar products on US market (yet).
In any case a lot cheaper than camera's, radars, plasma-scanners etc. Okay, a lot less gadgety too.

Zing
12-18-2002, 01:53 AM
Wow JCJ, you've justed saved many members 100s of dollars on the rear camera systems!

JCJ
12-18-2002, 11:18 AM
Installed the lens this morning.
Fixed the black hinge on upper plastic rim of back window, 10" from passenger side.
Works perfectly!
You get quite a wide angle view from there in spite of 3rd row seat AND back mounted spare wheel. Even in rainy conditions I suppose.
BTW Also fixed a small round plastic lens on upper part of windshield to get better view on traffic lights.
All & all including TonkaH2's mirrors virtually NO blind spots for me, except maybe Santa landing on the Hummer's roof looking for chimney...

JCJ
12-18-2002, 12:47 PM
Check out:
1. http://www.securityworld.com/auto/rearviewlens.html
2. Alternative (but where to buy I dunno)http://products3.3m.com/catalog/us/en001/auto_marine_aero/automotive_aftermarket/node_NQQBV9ZT77be/root_GST1T4S9TCgv/vroot_GSLPLPKL4Xge/gvel_RMT00NZ63Rgv/command_AbcPageHandler/theme_us_aad_3_0

TonkaH2
12-18-2002, 01:53 PM
As a kid, I remember my Dad having one on our van. . . they do the same thing, and just stick right to the window.

-Jack
Yellow H2 adv. on order
www.sunspotnatural.com (http://www.sunspotnatural.com)

JCJ
12-18-2002, 02:27 PM
3M™ Vangard™ Window Lenses
Wide-angle window lenses show obstacles hiding out of sight. Easily applied and removed by hand using water only.

JCJ
01-06-2003, 01:59 PM
Let me tell you: The Fresnel lens I stuck on back window pays back big time. It lets you see virtually everything going on behind you.
I even cut a 4 by 8 inch sized lens in "half" and stuck the lower part "upside down" on upper rim of windshield just in front of sun visor.
And no bending neck anymore to see trafic light change.
You have to cut and stick the lens this way, because the center of the lens is not centered on the plastic sheet. It's "off" center to allow you a wider angle of view to see things towards the ground. The sheet has "TOP" printed on it.
So if you stick it upside down on your windshield (of course NOT obstructing your eye-level view) the benefit is in the angled view UP, where the trafif lights is. Tadaa!
JCJ

TonkaH2
01-06-2003, 05:37 PM
How's it work in the bright sun???

-Jack
Yellow H2 adv. on order [forever]
Alaska to ??? June '03
www.sunspotnatural.com (http://www.sunspotnatural.com)

JCJ
01-06-2003, 06:34 PM
1. The focal point of these lenses is pretty short; so no targets to burn holes in.
2. Windows are vertical; so when sun is at its highest point, no rays will be able to focus strong enough to burn anything, not even a mosquito passing by.
3. The rays would have to come in horizontal to do any harm, but by then we're looking at a very nice sunset at the beach.
4. The back and tailgate windows are factory tinted, thereby also protecting seats from harmful "beams".
Behaaaaave!
JCJ