PDA

View Full Version : Warn question

JohnnyRPM
12-21-2004, 03:13 PM
I've looked through the archives and can't seem to find an answer to my question, though I can't imagine it hasn't been covered already.

What's the difference between the regular Warn 9.5ti multimount and the special H2 kit (part#67912)? If I wanted the 9000 multimount I would imagine that it would fit in the front or rear receiver just fine...is this an incorrect assumption since they made an H2 specific 9.5ti MM kit?

JohnnyRPM
I've looked through the archives and can't seem to find an answer to my question, though I can't imagine it hasn't been covered already.

What's the difference between the regular Warn 9.5ti multimount and the special H2 kit (part#67912)? If I wanted the 9000 multimount I would imagine that it would fit in the front or rear receiver just fine...is this an incorrect assumption since they made an H2 specific 9.5ti MM kit?

JohnnyRPM

JohnnyRPM
12-21-2004, 04:54 PM
excellent....thanks. Just wanted to make sure I could pick from the 9000, 8000, 9.5, etc... multimounts and not have fitment issues. If all it entails is drilling a hole I'm cool with that.

DRTYFN
12-21-2004, 09:55 PM
A 9500 lb winch is barely adequate for a 7000 lb rig. Try to go with a 12K winch.

unaslob
12-22-2004, 01:01 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> A 9500 lb winch is barely adequate for a 7000 lb rig. Try to go with a 12K winch <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree, i have the 9000 lb warn and it is not enough. I have been fortunate to get get stuck enough to really get in trouble with it, but have been close. I do carry with me a pulley that doubles my winching ability. but it does decrease the length you can setup a pull. when I finally wear through my wire, I plan on updating to a 12000 lb winch.

unaslob

JohnnyRPM
12-22-2004, 02:39 PM
This was my concern as well...not really interested in tweaking my truck with a winch that's too powerful. I'd almost rather have a winch that will fail before it causes damage as a kind of failsafe.

Especially considering the relatively mild terrain and situations I'm likely to find myself faced with. I'm not a hard core outer limits type of user.

Plus, not being a real hard core user, I don't know if I could justify the cost of the 12k given how frequently I'd actually need it versus the 9.5 or 9000.

DRTYFN
12-22-2004, 02:44 PM
It's not about getting stuck on rocks. There's not much resistance coming off rocks. It's the MUD & SAND you have to worry about. Especially the mud.

A 12K Mile Marker is cheaper than a Warn 9500Ti.

timgco
12-22-2004, 04:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JohnnyRPM:

Especially considering the relatively mild terrain and situations I'm likely to find myself faced with. I'm not a hard core outer limits type of user.

. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is why I bought the Warn H2 bumper set up. I figured I will not be going out by myself anyhow to Moab or the Mountain trails. That's why i have rear tow loops. Someone else can pull me backwards if needed. Get a pulley to bring with for added pull power.

Adam in CO
12-23-2004, 02:09 AM
Front mounted (although it's on the rear today) Warn 9000 MM...

DRTYFN
12-23-2004, 04:20 AM
Yeah, very nice- except for the chrome mirror caps and door handles. And short people steps.

BTW, you're aware that you have a light fetish, right? http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Adam in CO
12-23-2004, 12:34 PM
I have a short person fettish, too.

DRTYFN
12-23-2004, 01:26 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Adam in CO:
I have a short person fettish, too. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh really...? Sick Bastard.http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

GeorgeSSSS
12-31-2004, 08:08 PM
Can anyone tell a newbie why Adam's winching cable is blue? I've never seen that before.

timgco
12-31-2004, 08:29 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GeorgeSSSS:
Can anyone tell a newbie why Adam's winching cable is blue? I've never seen that before. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

His winch cable is a bit under the weather. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

That is winch rope that he has on there. this rope that he has is just as or almost as strong as the cable. Benefits are it it were to snap, the rope does not store energy. it just drops to the ground. the cable can kill you if it snaps and hits you. the rope is also much easier to wind! PM Adam and he can share more about it. I don't have mine yet so I don't have the specs or anything on it.

H2Finally
12-31-2004, 10:41 PM
Hey GeorgeSSSS, did you play hero with all the cars stuck in swimming pools all over Manhattan Beach last few days? http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

GeorgeSSSS
01-01-2005, 06:10 PM
Timgco: I followed your advice and got the info, Thanks.

H2Finally: I didn't hear about cars that tried to go swimming in pools in our town. Got any photos?

George

PARAGON
01-03-2005, 02:14 PM
If I remember correctly from prior discussions about this(I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong), you will generally have no heat issues. Heat is generated only when you power out the winch, not when you are powering in or pulling. So, if you free spool the clutch to pull the rope out and then only power back in, you should not generate any significant heat.

I have no significant knowledge of this but remember being told by someone who I thought should really know, so I am assuming it to be true.

To compare ropes with the cable would be like comparing rubber tires to flinstone rock wheels. There is just basically no benefits to having the wire over the synthetic rope.

PARAGON
01-03-2005, 03:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GeorgeSSSS:
Can anyone tell a newbie why Adam's winching cable is blue? I've never seen that before. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>George,

You can see the ropes here: http://www.trailduty.com/products/mp/index.html

DRTYFN
01-03-2005, 04:29 PM
If you call Recovery Gear they have synthetic that has the heat resistant synthetic rope on the drum.

http://www.recoverygear.com/DEFAULT1.HTM

GeorgeSSSS
01-03-2005, 10:49 PM
Many thanks to everyone for some seriously good information that will save me a lot of money I would have wasted "learning as you go." Synthetic rope is definitely the best approach.

Also, thanks for the info about powering out.

George

H2ZRESQ
01-04-2005, 01:47 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Adam in CO:
Front mounted (although it's on the rear today) Warn 9000 MM... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Show Off http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I thought I would add that MileMarker dealers provide a video that show the testing of the MileMarker, Warn, Ramsey and SuperWinch which is pretty interesting. Over all the 12K MileMarker is the way I will go. I had a 12K Warn and had nothing but problems. Continued to burn up when it shouldn't. I have spoken with others that have had the same problem. Did I mention that you can buy a 12K MileMarker for $499? I found it on eBay from Davy's Offroad Products 1-800-222-7023. $91 for the receiver mount that allows for another receiver to be put inline so you could winch your boat on the trailer. ~2ZRESQ