PDA

View Full Version : How bad will 37' BFG MTs Rub?

Longhorn
03-08-2004, 06:26 PM
So, the Goodyear MTR is back ordered indefinitely so far as I can tell. I don't want the Swamper SSR or IROK because I do too much highway driving and I need to get more than 20,000 miles out of them. That leaves the BFG MT, which is a great tire but I've heard there are rubbing issues because it is slightly wider than the MTR.

Does anybody have these?
How bad do they rub?

Longhorn
03-08-2004, 06:26 PM
So, the Goodyear MTR is back ordered indefinitely so far as I can tell. I don't want the Swamper SSR or IROK because I do too much highway driving and I need to get more than 20,000 miles out of them. That leaves the BFG MT, which is a great tire but I've heard there are rubbing issues because it is slightly wider than the MTR.

Does anybody have these?
How bad do they rub?

Detonate
03-08-2004, 06:42 PM
Travis had those tires before his Rancho lift and said they rubbed a bit, but it wasn't bad.

The MT/R's I'm using right now rub pretty bad too, so I'm not sure why people say they don't.

The rubbing only happens on sharp turns, and is certainly negligable compared to it's gains.

I love the BFG Muds, but I'm concerned with the reports I've heard of sidewall damge while rock crawling. Which I do a lot more on rocks, than in Mud. But they do kick ass in mud, no doubt about that. Way better than MT/R's for sure!

Longhorn
03-08-2004, 06:53 PM
Yeah, I've nosed around some other forums and heard about sidewall tears. The MTR is my first choice but I can't find them and no one seems to know when they will be available. I ran BFG MTs on my D90 for 2 years with no problems. They were fairly quiet and handled well except in wet weather. I could have the center section on some MTs siped to help on road manners, especially during rainy conditions.

I should have bought those 6 MTRs off eBay but I missed the end of the auction. They only went for $211 a tire. Maybe I can find another wealthy H1 benefactor looking for a charity case.?? http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

cinci
03-08-2004, 07:10 PM
I have noticed the last time out that with the MT/Rs aired down to 18 I had some rubbing on the front sway bar but nothing that would out way the advantage that they provide.

I was looking for some one to go in with me on the that auction on ebay since I am only looking for one tire but didn't have any responses.

Longhorn, if I hear of any MT/Rs avialable, I will drop you a PM.

Thanks,
David
Black H2

urban-assault
03-08-2004, 07:39 PM
I'm actually looking for tires too now. Since I do a lot of highway driving, I'm looking into the Dick Cepek FCII tires (37/13.5/17). They have aggressive traction and they handle superbly on concrete. If I did more offroading, I would also consider the Xterrain.

So Longhorn, what about the DC FC II or the Xterrain?

Urban-Assault Vehicle H2

Longhorn
03-08-2004, 08:22 PM
I looked into Xterrains a while back. They will rub terribly so I would assume the Cepek would as well. The height is not really an issue; width is. That's why the MT/Rs (slightly narrower) rub less than the BFG MTs.

czar
03-11-2004, 01:28 PM
would a 2 inch lift fix the rubbing problems of 37's??

AlamoJim
03-11-2004, 03:38 PM
well if they rub when turning due to width you can:
1. get new wheels with corrected backspacing.
2. get wheel spacers.

If they rub in the fenderwells when flexing due to tire height - lift it.

you can probably adjust your steering stops to stop it from rubbing which will limit your turning radius - not a bad 'short term' solution until you can get the right tires/wheels.

FrgMstr
03-11-2004, 04:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Detonate:
The MT/R's I'm using right now rub pretty bad too, so I'm not sure why people say they don't. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did putting on the heavy bumpers, brushguard, and rack bring your clearance down any? I have been meaning to ask and you just reminded me....

FrgMstr
03-11-2004, 04:08 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cincih2:
I have noticed the last time out that with the MT/Rs aired down to 18 I had some rubbing on the front sway bar but nothing that would out way the advantage that they provide. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The stock 35" BFG ATs rub the swaybar at 18psi....

Detonate
03-11-2004, 04:59 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FrgMstr:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Detonate:
The MT/R's I'm using right now rub pretty bad too, so I'm not sure why people say they don't. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Did putting on the heavy bumpers, brushguard, and rack bring your clearance down any? I have been meaning to ask and you just reminded me.... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>I never really did a before and after comparision.

But before I put on the 37's, I measured the distance between Tire and Fender in the front and back, and it was 1.5" lower in the front.

I corrected that with 3 or 4 turns on my torsion bars.

FrgMstr
03-11-2004, 05:13 PM
Where exactly did you measure from to? I would like to measure and compare figures. As you know, I have been wanting some 37s but your experience has got me questioning the decision.

Detonate
03-11-2004, 05:22 PM
I just eye balled what looked like the highest point of the tire, and measure from there to the fender.

I wasn't exactly on level ground when I did it either.

Nothing scientific about it.

What paticular experience with my 37's has you questioning?

They are looking at my front end now, and said it's the Control Arm and the Idler arm that have to be replaced. I also have a transfer case leaked, and various other damage to the belly of my beast.

It's really hard to say if the 37's can be blamed for any of this. I drive my vehicle pretty damn hard.

Only time will tell. If it happens again in another month, I guess we'll know.

Detonate
03-11-2004, 05:23 PM
If anything, I think this makes a good case for NOT upgrading the Tie Rods.

The Tie Rods are in perfect shape, but other components failed.

FrgMstr
03-11-2004, 05:51 PM
Jim, I have seen how you drive your H2, and there is no doubt in my mind that your 37s are NOT the cause of any of your issues you are having now. I think, "I drive my vehicle pretty damn hard," is an understatement from you. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I have seen you drive through the **** faster than I would on an ATV. Undoubtedly you are finding the limits of your truck, and more power to you. It is a great experience wheeling with you guys. Make sure to always give me a heads up when you go.

Back to the tires. I have heard a few folks mention a little rubbing, but certainly you have had the loudest complaint I have heard yet. I just want to make sure I am happy with 37s on my truck when/if they get installed. It seems to me that your experience with the 37s is a little different than others' and I am just trying to figure out why that is and the only reason I can think of is clearance.

From this last weekend out and your before and after comments, I can see what difference 37s make in a real off road situation.

Detonate
03-11-2004, 06:16 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FrgMstr:
Jim, I have seen how you drive your H2, and there is no doubt in my mind that your 37s are NOT the cause of any of your issues you are having now. I think, "I drive my vehicle pretty damn hard," is an understatement from you. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
hehehe
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I have seen you drive through the **** faster than I would on an ATV. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Hey now! I wasn't the one that almost ran over the Jeepers changing the tire at the bottom of Jeepy Hollow! http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Back to the tires. I have heard a few folks mention a little rubbing, but certainly you have had the loudest complaint I have heard yet. I just want to make sure I am happy with 37s on my truck when/if they get installed. It seems to me that your experience with the 37s is a little different than others' and I am just trying to figure out why that is and the only reason I can think of is clearance. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Well, I've heard that they rub anywhere from "a little" to "none at all". Personally I think the people that say they don't rub at all, are either blowing smoke up our asses, or they are talking about rubbing the fenders.

I haven't noticed any fender rub, just sway bar rub. But it's enough that if I turn my wheels completely and drive, I can feel and here them eating into the swap bar, and my sway bar is rubbed pretty raw. I think it's a very small sacrifice.

And if it seems like I'm complaining about the 37's, I'm not. They make a huge difference in my opinion, in favor of the off road handling.

FrgMstr
03-11-2004, 06:42 PM
They are lucky they had that Jeep on a jack, otherwise I might not have seen it in time. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for clarifying exactly what is rubbing on your rig. I can live with the sway bar issues that I already have when aired down with 35s.

That said, keep us informed on how your suspension work goes. (I know it had nothing to do with hitting that 3.5 foot mud embankment multiple times with a running start. )

Detonate
03-11-2004, 06:49 PM
Nah, it didn't. I know exactly when it happened.

We camped Friday night, and Saturday morning it was about 9am, and nobody was supposed to be there until 10.

So I headed back to Jeep Eater to see what a difference the 37's would make. I got everything but my rear tires to the top.

Some Jeepers stopped to watch, and one suggested I try the line to the right.

I had my tires turned passanger and tried a few times to bump it up. The last time I really hit the thing hard and we heard a noise.

At that point the guys said they think my tie rod snapped. I went up and looked and both of my tires were pointing inward.

I crawled under the vehicle but couldn't find anything broken. I backed down the trail, but everything seemed to be ok, and nothing seemed to be broken.

Honestly I took it easy the rest of the weekend. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Detonate
03-11-2004, 06:52 PM
Watch this video (http://www.toughcountry.com/video/btrh.wmv), and pay special attension to my passanger front tire on the head on clip of me going up Twister. You can see it bend in multiple times.

FrgMstr
03-11-2004, 07:39 PM
Ouch.....great video editing though.

TonkaH2
03-15-2004, 05:38 PM
Don't know if anybody's still talking about this, but I'm in the same boat -I need one tire for on/offroad performance, and the BFG MT looks to fit the bill. I'm loaded down alot and tow occaisonally, and need to stop on pavement first, then think mud/snow performance next. I understand it's all trade-offs.

I had heard the BFG's had BETTER sidewalls, 3-ply instead of 2. True? Not true?

Also, how's the road noise?

cinci
03-16-2004, 01:47 AM
Det,

Great video, the editing was awesome http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif. You definitely push your truck to the limits.

FrgMstr,

I will try to take some pictures of the rub marks on the sway bars but they are minimal. The extra clearance and ability of the larger diameter tires to clear larger obstacles far out ways any rubbing that I have experienced IMHO.

FrgMstr
03-16-2004, 09:27 AM
Thanks Cinci!!!

cinci
03-16-2004, 01:13 PM
FrgMstr,

Attached are two pictures that I took this morning. They show some rubbing on the passenger side and no rubbing on the drivers side. I hadn't noticed any rubbing prior to this last trip to Attica.

Now I have cranked up my front torsion bars 4 turns to help level out the truck. I also have the air suspension on the back but that shouldn't effect the front. After I have added the abumper and winch I will probably crank the torsion bars up another couple of turns.

cinci
03-16-2004, 01:15 PM
FrgMstr,

I guess I still don't know how to post multiple pictures in one post. If some one would be so kind as to pass on this great knowledge I would be forever greatful.

Detonate
03-16-2004, 01:19 PM
Do you try not to turn your wheels all the way?

I have much more noticable rubbing on both sides of my sway bar. I'll have to take some pictures when I get home.

cinci
03-16-2004, 01:48 PM
Det,

Actually, quite often I have the wheel cranked all the way one way or the other to try to get over or around obstacles. Some one said you could set your travel stops to restrict turning. Maybe mine are set differently http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif.

Detonate
03-16-2004, 02:02 PM
It's also possible that all the rubbing I noticed was due to my Control Arms, and Idler Arms being broken.

I need to spray over my rub marks and see if they resurface.

alecs wife
03-17-2004, 01:42 AM
My idler arm and pitman arm have been replaced 3 times under warrenty.

FrgMstr
03-17-2004, 07:44 PM
Cinci,

I get the same rubbing of the sway bar on both sides with stock 35s, but only when aired down, which makes perfect sense.

I am going to wait and see how bad Dets rub once he gets his ride fixed and his spray paint out.

Detonate
03-17-2004, 07:48 PM
Ride is fixed, and I sprayed the sway bar this morning.

If you are able to go to Gilmer with us on the 28th, you can see the results first hand.

Otherwise, I'll take some pictures after a week.

FrgMstr
03-17-2004, 09:03 PM
I think I am about to bite the bullet and stick 37" BFG Mud Terrains on. Anyone have any input?

cinci
03-17-2004, 10:42 PM
FrgMstr,

Even though I have the MTRs every one says that the BFGs are better in the mud and respectably quiet on the street. I have also read a comparison from Kdio on this forum where he had MTRs and his friend had BFGs, both on 17x10 Welds with a 4.5 offset so no imput on the rubbing, but he said the BFGs road better that the MTRs due to the softer sidewalls. Not that he ride is all that important.

I don't know if Kdio is still monitoring these posts but he may have some first hand experiance between his truck and his friends.

FrgMstr
03-17-2004, 11:24 PM
I have read a LOT of reviews on the Mud Terrains and they do have a lot of great things said about them. The only other alternative that I might consider would be the SSR Super Swampers, like R2 here on our boards runs. I have hit him up for some feedback.

I know both perform great offroad, but I am wondering how the SSRs do on the pavement. From what I have read the BFGs shine there as well.

Detonate
03-18-2004, 12:08 AM
Kyle, I think you in paticular would like the BFG M/T's a lot better.

If for no other reason.... think "Jeepy Hollow".

FrgMstr
03-18-2004, 12:55 AM
I just got done with PMing R2 and I think the noise and wear issues with the SSRs will be a deal breaker. So with that said, I think the BFGs are for me. And they look cool. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

I found them at TireRack for $268 each, shipped to my door, no state tax. If anyone has other alternatives that might be a better deal, please let me know. Thanks!!!

Detonate
03-18-2004, 12:59 AM
Call Discount Tire. They will beat that price, and they will mount and balance them for you.

If the Discount Tire you call won't, then let me know and I'll give the number of a Discount Tire that will.

I think I was quoted around $1,300 for 5 tires, mounted, with a liftime rebalancing. It was about $15 cheaper per tire without the lifetime balancing.

Also Costco is a good place to get the BFG M/T's, but Discount Tire will still beat there price if it happens to be lower that paticular day.

FrgMstr
03-18-2004, 09:29 AM
Roger that Det. There are a couple of Discount Tires here close that I can start with. http://www.elcova.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif I will give you a holler if I come up short. Thanks for the lead.