PDA

View Full Version : Remote start is the best!!!

father_of_4
06-28-2010, 07:00 PM
My new favorite thing (seems like a new one every week or so) about my H2 is using the remote start. Nothing like hearing the exhaust rumble as you walk up to your truck. Love it.

I don't get to hear the exhaust as well if I start it from the driver seat so remote start is it from now on.

Bob

VegasGuy
06-29-2010, 03:39 AM
Hummers have a nice sound, even when they are stock. Glad to hear you are enjoying your new ride so much.

I was talked out of putting one in my H2. I was going to put a remote start in mine for those times when it had set under the hot Vegas sun. (Which I do not do that often.) Having the ability to remote start it for a cool down would be nice. When I asked my dealer to recommend a system he advised against it, saying he had seen more problems that what they were worth putting up with for the amount of use I was going to get out of it. I know there are good systems out there and people are happy with them. I think the key component is not so much the system, but who the installer is.

father_of_4
06-29-2010, 05:09 PM
Hummers have a nice sound, even when they are stock. Glad to hear you are enjoying your new ride so much.

I was talked out of putting one in my H2. I was going to put a remote start in mine for those times when it had set under the hot Vegas sun. (Which I do not do that often.) Having the ability to remote start it for a cool down would be nice. When I asked my dealer to recommend a system he advised against it, saying he had seen more problems that what they were worth putting up with for the amount of use I was going to get out of it. I know there are good systems out there and people are happy with them. I think the key component is not so much the system, but who the installer is.

I guess that I am lucky that I have the factory version of the remote start in my 2008. Love it for the exhaust sound, the advantages of the cooling for here in Phoenix are not so obvious....

Bob
Still loving the H2 after a month... Gotta switch the DIC away from Average Economy though.

The_Yeti
06-29-2010, 06:03 PM
I've been thinking of doing the remote start. They carry a nice clifford alarm at CarToys, but i'm a bit leary since they say these new remotes can work from a mile away. I'd be afraid of accidently starting it. :D

Intercooled
06-30-2010, 12:06 AM

Same here, My neighbor is a GM Service manager and he says he has more cars getting towed in because of remote starts. he advised against it as well.
Hey father of 4, I didnt know Hummer had a factory remote start? is there a name on it?

twr
06-30-2010, 03:51 AM
Hi i think it's a opion on 2008 mine has a gm unit to, then I changed it to gm advanced remote with more distance and a LCD screen on the key fob, it works great.

father_of_4
06-30-2010, 03:56 AM
Same here, My neighbor is a GM Service manager and he says he has more cars getting towed in because of remote starts. he advised against it as well.
Hey father of 4, I didnt know Hummer had a factory remote start? is there a name on it?

It's the standard GM remote start. STD on 2009. Might be an option on the 2008. Not sure about the earlier models. My wires escalade has it too.

Bob

Luv2Camp
06-30-2010, 01:28 PM
I installed an Avital unit on my 06 and love it. No extra wires were needed to be run for the door locks, lights, etc to work as it controls it all via the databus wire on the truck. The thing I love the best is that when the engine temp is below 32 degrees, it kicks on the front heated seats and the rear defogger. It was not fun installing especially since the Avital program directions for the VATS was wrong!!!! Worth paying the extra $100 or so to have it done. This is the 4th one of these I have installed in my vehicles and every time I say "never again" LOL

dvl57
06-30-2010, 02:36 PM
Hi i think it's a opion on 2008 mine has a gm unit to, then I changed it to gm advanced remote with more distance and a LCD screen on the key fob, it works great.

Tracy,

What is that part #?
I've been wanting to upgrade my key fob to the lcd screen but I don't know what part it is.

Any advantages other than the lcd screen?

Did you program it or did the dealer?

Thanks.

dvl57
06-30-2010, 02:38 PM
It's the standard GM remote start. STD on 2009. Might be an option on the 2008. Not sure about the earlier models. My wires escalade has it too.

Bob

Bob,

It is standard on all 2008, 2009 H2's (the remote start feature)
Atleast that I know of. ...
if someone knows different, please share.

father_of_4
06-30-2010, 03:15 PM
Tracy,

What is that part #?
I've been wanting to upgrade my key fob to the lcd screen but I don't know what part it is.

Any advantages other than the lcd screen?

Did you program it or did the dealer?

Thanks.

I have the LCD screen key fob. It will tell you mileage, gas tank status, tire pressure and which doors are locked or unlocked. Not really that cool and it is pretty thick. It's an ehh to me...

Bob

The Professional
07-11-2010, 12:49 AM
Had a Clifford remote start/alarm on GM pickup that caused all sorts of electrical gremlins to show up. I'd love to know a good aftermarket alternative as well.

The Professional
07-22-2010, 06:35 PM
Wonder if this will be backwards compatible.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/22/onstar-expands-smartphone-control-to-most-2011-general-motors-ve/

orlasttoy
07-22-2010, 10:53 PM
I've had an Viper alarm w/ remote start on my '03 since day one. Been great except for one time, the alarm's engine kill got confused & wouldn't let me start the truck.

CBR_Raven
07-24-2010, 03:45 AM
I have the CompuStar remote start system on my SUT and it has never given me any problems...it's all about the installation. I've had Compustar on all my vehicles for the past 8 years and never had a problem.

seventwozero
07-25-2010, 05:19 AM
I have the CompuStar remote start system on my SUT and it has never given me any problems...it's all about the installation. I've had Compustar on all my vehicles for the past 8 years and never had a problem.

Ditto. I've ran CompuStar in every vechical I've owned, its almost a necessity up here in the Dakotas!

StockStar
07-26-2010, 12:23 AM

I'll co-sign:iagree:

Bimmer9938
09-08-2010, 01:29 PM
Yep a remote start on a truck that doesn't fit in a garage is a good thing. :D

pdxrealtor
09-08-2010, 03:39 PM
I've had the viper smart start since almost day one. No problems yet. I had a custom install that all allows me a couple extra security measures which in turn allows a couple luxuries I grew used to while driving the Infiniti.

I can start stop lock unlock from anywhere in the USA no matter where the truck is using my apple or android phone or touch. Best thing I've done to the truck.