PDA

View Full Version : Help from Audio/Video Gurus...

Humdingah
07-29-2010, 07:11 PM
All,

I have a 2005 H2 with the touchscreen Nav radio and want to add both an iPod interface as well as using a Coastal Video Lockpick that I have. I also have the Pac-Audio uPC-GMC2 iPod interface but it uses a harness to the factory radio, not unlike the Video Lockpick. What I need is an iPod interface that connects to the XM receiver and doesn't use a dedicated wiring harness at the radio. Coastal doesn't carry one that works on a 2005 even though their documentation states that it works with Gen 2 radios and most XM radios from 2003-on. Pac has several products but they are far from plug-and-play and none of them allow you to maintain the factory XM without using a relay and switch wired in...not exactly a clean install. Scosche shows an interface for 2008-on and the Nucleus interface scares me. One I haven't looked at much is USA-SPEC but it also appears to use its own harness at the radio as well as having to splice a wire from the XM receiver.

Has anyone successfully figured out this combination yet? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Dan

splne1
07-31-2010, 05:25 PM
What your doing is creating a spaghetti of wires!!! Your better off getting replacement head unit with all the features you want incorporated in it.
I recommend the Kenwood double din unit. It has all the features you just mentioned you want and is a simple and cleaner install.

seventwozero
08-01-2010, 07:35 AM
What your doing is creating a spaghetti of wires!!! Your better off getting replacement head unit with all the features you want incorporated in it.
I recommend the Kenwood double din unit. It has all the features you just mentioned you want and is a simple and cleaner install.

Ill second the Kenwood units, the higher end models have built in Garmin GPS and dual DVD slots so you can run your GPS disc and a DVD at the same time. No speed sensors to clock how far you drive, just the Garmin antenna :clapping:

guruerror
08-02-2010, 02:48 AM
DIY...www.centrafuse.com

MVR 155
08-02-2010, 02:54 PM
The iSimple will allow you XM and full ipod control. You will need part number: ISGM74, this has both the harness for the 2003-2007 and the 2008-2009

I have this in our 2008 and it works seamlessly, I had the Nucleus in the 2006 but that also allowed you to use both XM and Ipod, if you wanted to use XM you simply unplugged the ipod.

splne1
08-02-2010, 06:42 PM
For the sake of simplicity and DIY install trust me get the kenwood. Its got blue tooth, GPS by garmin mind you, Ipod touch control which allows your vids to play directly on screen, usb port for gadgets. I have one in my Avalanche and im dying for my flip out to die on me in my H2 to get another one.:beerchug:

Humdingah
08-03-2010, 04:47 PM
What Kenwood model is everyone having good luck with?

splne1
08-03-2010, 06:40 PM
DNX9960 or the DNX9140. 9960 replaced the 9140. They both have the same features but 9960 is newer model.:dancingbanana: Ill post pics of the one in my avalanche this evening.

frontside720
08-04-2010, 03:00 AM
I have the nav in my H2 but I think it sucks. The picture is crap and difficult to read compared to others.

3 Things...

1) Could anyone comment on how well the kenwood systems bluetooth works?
2) Can I hook up Sirius to it?
3) Is it possible to use one of the gmx adapters to keep movies playing of the head unit while in motion?

Sorry for Hijacking the post but my gmx & and bluestar showed up to the office today and I never thought of changing the head unit.