PDA

View Full Version : H2 on E then will not crank or start..HELP!!

trofeo16
08-08-2010, 05:48 AM
I was driving the truck and knew I was running on E. The truck began to sputter and then stalled. Figured I ran out of fuel. Put 2 gallons of gas into the truck and tried restarting. It would not crank. The battery is fully charged and all gauges come on. Checked all ignition, crank and starter fuses. The passlock 2 light seems to come on after a few minutes and stay lit. The onstar light is lit up red. The recirc light on the climate control comes on even when unit is turned off. Please help and suggestions.

Hummeron37s
08-08-2010, 09:00 PM
Disconnect the battery for 10 minutes it will reset the PCM. See if that does anything.

Hellz
08-08-2010, 11:12 PM
then go buy a new fuel pump...

pteam
08-08-2010, 11:21 PM
try filling up before you run out of gas... :OWNED:

trofeo16
08-09-2010, 01:35 AM
Already tried disconnecting battery for approx 30 minutes, no success. Thanks for the tip on filling up before running out of fuel. Trust me I wish I did. Does anyone have any other suggestions before I contact dealer in morning for a nice large repair bill.

trofeo16
08-09-2010, 01:35 AM
Even if my fuel pump were blown, the motor should crank, correct?

kchummer
08-09-2010, 01:53 AM
Even if my fuel pump were blown, the motor should crank, correct?

yes, it would still crank...

Hellz
08-09-2010, 03:32 AM
pull it out of park and put back in park or nuetral and try starting.

if you have a full battery and not getting any crank at all, thats my best advice.

not sure what else would make it dead like that without cranking.

adamk85
08-09-2010, 03:52 AM
check all fuses in underhood fuse block and use a voltmeter to make sure you
have full battery voltage, assuming battery has full charge, if not full voltage
like anything under 10 volts, suspect ignition switch. hope this helps.

kchummer
08-09-2010, 05:36 AM
if not crankin...possibly alternator..did u notice if your panel was appearin dim??

Hummeron37s
08-09-2010, 06:19 PM
Most likely it is the starter. Have someone tap on the starter with a hammer while someone else tries cranking it. You can also try jump starting it, when my starter was going I jumped it and the extra voltage gave the starter the extra push to crank over. If it is the starter it is a easy driveway repair.

Hummeron37s
08-09-2010, 06:20 PM
if not crankin...possibly alternator..did u notice if your panel was appearin dim??
Alternator would have nothing to do with cranking. If the battery has a charge the starter should still turn.

trofeo16
08-10-2010, 02:26 AM
Hey guys, thanks for all the help. Heres what I've done so far. The battery has plenty of juice, Lights and dash are all fully functional and battery reads full power. Have tried tapping starter while someone else cranked, no luck. I have checked all of the fuses and relays and they all seem to be fine. I have even swapped good relays from other locations to see if they would work. I spoke to the dealer and they suspect it might be the BCM. Keep the suggestions coming please.

Scarsman
08-10-2010, 03:04 AM
Hey guys, thanks for all the help. Heres what I've done so far. The battery has plenty of juice, Lights and dash are all fully functional and battery reads full power. Have tried tapping starter while someone else cranked, no luck. I have checked all of the fuses and relays and they all seem to be fine. I have even swapped good relays from other locations to see if they would work. I spoke to the dealer and they suspect it might be the BCM. Keep the suggestions coming please.

Have you checked the leads at the starter to see if you are getting power to it? I would start there and trace backwards. If you get power there when you turn the key, then you know it is a starter/solenoid problem. If you get no power there, then find the next component up. In the old days that would be the ignition switch, but I am not sure if there are any modules or anything between the switch and starter on these trucks.

trofeo16
08-21-2010, 04:24 AM
Solution: Took truck to dealer and they replaced the ignition control module. This solved all the issues.