PDA

View Full Version : Brush Bar Recommendations

SteelsH2
08-10-2010, 11:22 PM
I am wondering if anyone has any experience with any of brush bars being sold by those vendors on ebay? They look good, but its hard to tell if they are well built. I am looking at the ones with the double uppers.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_trkparms=65%253A12%257C66%253A2%257C39%253 A1%257C72%253A3483&rt=nc&_nkw=h2%20brush%20guard&_dmpt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14.l1513&_pgn=1

KT2T
08-11-2010, 02:35 PM
What's the best flavor of ice cream? :)

In my opinion, you don't want to go with something that attaches to the hood hinges like the OEM brush guards do. It's better to have the guard hinge points anchored to the frame. There are some guards out there that are frame-mounted and you typically won't find them on eBay.

I know that Rubber Duck has the almighty Treehugger which you can see in some pictures posted by HumminNBoatin'. It's really nice.

You could also search the forum for the DEMONGUARD which was created by ROUSHDEMON (forum member). I know that he's made at least one other for another forum member but not sure if he has made a business of it. I think he creates them by adding over-the-hood bars to a SMA (or SMA-style) guard. It's also quite good and, like the Treehugger, mounts to the frame up front.

I have an original SMA guard on my H2 along with the steel bumper valance (where the DRLs are mounted). The OEM bumper valance is plastic and it's definitely a worthwhile upgrade to replace it with the steel SMA valance if you can find one. Not only is the steel tougher than the OEM plastic valance, it also has cutouts to replace the stock DRLs with PIAA 520 lamps and is drilled/tapped for the SMA guard right out of the box. It's a sweet combination.

Let us know what your intended use is and that will help provide better suggestions. If you aren't planning to take your H2 off-road and don't need to wedge it against a tree for winching then a frame-mounted guard may be overkill.

SteelsH2
08-11-2010, 10:57 PM
What's the best flavor of ice cream? :)

In my opinion, you don't want to go with something that attaches to the hood hinges like the OEM brush guards do. It's better to have the guard hinge points anchored to the frame. There are some guards out there that are frame-mounted and you typically won't find them on eBay.

I know that Rubber Duck has the almighty Treehugger which you can see in some pictures posted by HumminNBoatin'. It's really nice.

You could also search the forum for the DEMONGUARD which was created by ROUSHDEMON (forum member). I know that he's made at least one other for another forum member but not sure if he has made a business of it. I think he creates them by adding over-the-hood bars to a SMA (or SMA-style) guard. It's also quite good and, like the Treehugger, mounts to the frame up front.

I have an original SMA guard on my H2 along with the steel bumper valance (where the DRLs are mounted). The OEM bumper valance is plastic and it's definitely a worthwhile upgrade to replace it with the steel SMA valance if you can find one. Not only is the steel tougher than the OEM plastic valance, it also has cutouts to replace the stock DRLs with PIAA 520 lamps and is drilled/tapped for the SMA guard right out of the box. It's a sweet combination.

Let us know what your intended use is and that will help provide better suggestions. If you aren't planning to take your H2 off-road and don't need to wedge it against a tree for winching then a frame-mounted guard may be overkill.

Thanks for your reply KT2T, thats a good point about frame mounted guard. I did realize some didn't mount to the frame. I was curious if anyone had experience with some of the aftrmarket double bar ones that are being sold on ebay. I use my truck for the beach and I need light mounting points as well as an attachment point for when I have a canoe/kayak on the roof. I am interested the SMA guard/valance since I turned off by the OEM plastic but I am guessing they are no longer made, since I can't find much on the internet.

H2 Bill
08-11-2010, 11:51 PM
I hit a large buck (Mule Deer) going 70 mph and it didn't phase my OEM brush guard! Killed the buck instantly, though.

seventwozero
08-11-2010, 11:51 PM
Thanks for your reply KT2T, thats a good point about frame mounted guard. I did realize some didn't mount to the frame. I was curious if anyone had experience with some of the aftrmarket double bar ones that are being sold on ebay. I use my truck for the beach and I need light mounting points as well as an attachment point for when I have a canoe/kayak on the roof. I am interested the SMA guard/valance since I turned off by the OEM plastic but I am guessing they are no longer made, since I can't find much on the internet.

SMA has been out of business for a while now and AFAIK, ROUSHDEMON bought a good chunk of the guards they had left over to built his own style. I don't want to speak for him, but I believe he's made 3 for forum members, he has a thread running in one of the H2 forums to see a bunch of pictures and get in contact with him. I've heard rumors the SMA guards/valances can be had on ebay but very, very few and far between and you won't be the only person trying to bid on them either (atleast regarding the valance :dancingbanana:)

Big.Z.hummin
08-12-2010, 04:46 AM
here's my Demonguard made by none other than RoushDemon. Got the second one ever made. guess i'm special! thing is sturdy as hell I have stood on it, sat on it and basically anything else you could want to do. also the light bar tab for it is one of the best i've seen. currently i have 2 huge 8" piaa 550's on it easily room for 3 or maybe 4

guruerror
08-12-2010, 10:19 PM
Also...check out Road Armor.

http://www.roadarmor.com/site/hummer/2003-Hummer-03-plus-SUT.php